Surface stops playing music when it goes to sleep

Julian_C

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey,
currently I'm having the problem, that when I'm playing music on my surface 2, it stops playing when it goes to sleep mode after the track is finished. It doesn't matter if I'm using xbox music or nokia mixradio, evertime when the screen is black and after the track it stops. So I always have to activate it and have to push play again (most times via the volume buttons; faster access).
A month ago I had the problem that when I listened to music with earphones, it always took 10sec to change the track... (when the screen was off)

Do you also have this issue or is this normal? Let me know!

Julian_C

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not doing anything

Sometimes i put the surface on the table, start the music and then i go a few meters away or im listening via earphones in the train. Sometimes i push the sleep button, sometimes I leave it on (and it goes to sleep by itself) and then the music stops playing at the end of the track...
I also did a reset once (complete reset where also the data got deleted) but it didn't change anything... So I'm thinking this is happening to all surfaces?

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not doing anything

Sometimes i put the surface on the table, start the music and then i go a few meters away or im listening via earphones in the train. Sometimes i push the sleep button, sometimes I leave it on (and it goes to sleep by itself) and then the music stops playing at the end of the track...
I also did a reset once (complete reset where also the data got deleted) but it didn't change anything... So I'm thinking this is happening to all surfaces?

Are you streaming the music or listening to it locally? I believe that if you're streaming, it doesn't play the next song on the playlist as you are no longer connected to the internet (WiFi turns off in sleep). I'll try and find the link to a helpful webpage that I found and update my post if I do.

Edit: I've found and posted the link that I thought was very helpful on this matter.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsappd...edia-to-make-your-app-shine-in-windows-8.aspx

Last edited:

Julian_C

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
All my music is locally stored on my SD card (unter computer, right click music, I changed the path; so windows knows where my music is). In Xbox music the cloud function is turned off and even on nokia mixradio I always played local music (because I don't have internet on the way)... I prefer having my music in the pocket than being dependent :winktongue:

tiomi

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey Julian have you found a solution to this problem? I'm still experiencing the same behavior (not on a Surface but on my Dell Venue 8 Pro). Thanks for any insights!

Dominique Cote

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm this. regardless of which player i use - in my case Media Monkey, Media Codecs Pack and Windows Music Player.

this only occurs when Streaming form SD card, NOT when streaming form internal memory.
it appears as if Windows and the apps battle whether to put the SD Card to sleep or keep it awake.

unfortunately, Windows power Settings on tue Surface 2 (RT) Do not allow custom SD card Settings as other PCs do.

any ideas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3