Tegra drivers not updating / BSOD on system refresh

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the hard work. I updated my display drivers so I'm pretty satisfied with not having any BSODs. I will (for now) be patient and see if a fix comes within the next few months. If not then I will definitely refer back to this thread.
I think patience won't be enough after what just happened today:

Moderators on MS Community just blocked my account, deleted all my posts and nuked completely the Official Tegra 4 drivers problem thread I opened, with no logic reason...

Apparently they're terribly scared about this "Faulty Refresh/BSoD/FaultyDrivers/Display Errors/Standby Bug" problems that hundreds of S2 owners are reporting since December updates and before, flooding MS Community Forums.
They've already had a disasterous global press coverage about Surface 2 Pro problems and image, and I imagine they're trying everything to cover up Surface 2 problems too, before they can explode like Pro 2.

Censoring and nuking people complaints (and hard work to find temporary fixes and solutions) too, I guess...

I think this story deserve the first page of WPCentral Home, let's see if they will manage to blank that too :smile:

conorn

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
(Just saw post above)

Hmm, something funny going on at the MS forum linked from the top post. All the really interesting posts have been removed. Did Paolo touch a nerve?

Can I ask a question here - that was removed from MS forum - are people getting 153 (disk) errors in Event Viewer? Has refresh/reset + new drives/firmware fixed this? Otherwise I'm inclined to believe that this may in fact be a hardware error I'm experiencing.

davejones2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Warning: I would not use the batch file above.

The reason being that it is auto-executing the delete a list of system files that might be referring to the wrong drivers. We have no idea if those OEM files will be numbered the same on your surface! Perhaps they are, but until this is confirmed I would 100% avoid using that method.

I strongly suspect that the thread on the MFST forums has been closed due to this very reason.

At the end of the day, you are messing with system files. If you are not 1000% sure what you are doing, my recommendation would be DON'T DO IT!

If you don't have the technical ability to triple-check what you are about to delete without direct instruction, then you shouldn't be messing around with these files.

EDIT:

Just seen the two new posts above.

Its clear that the only purpose of that aforementioned deleted thread was to help others out with this problem.

However, looking at it from MFST's point of view, they surely cannot have a thread on the official support forum that instructs people in the deletion of system files and also includes a potentially very harmful batch file.

Their solution at present is to point us in the direction of support, at which time you will be advised to exchange the device. Its frustrating, sure, but until they release an official fix that will be the only official solution!

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
(Just saw post above)

Hmm, something funny going on at the MS forum linked from the top post. All the really interesting posts have been removed. Did Paolo touch a nerve?

Can I ask a question here - that was removed from MS forum - are people getting 153 (disk) errors in Event Viewer? Has refresh/reset + new drives/firmware fixed this? Otherwise I'm inclined to believe that this may in fact be a hardware error I'm experiencing.
I answer here too (I'm officially a "digital terrorist" on MS Community Forum, lol :eek:rly:): after Reset + updates + batch fix + december updates = I had but now I have not 153 errors anymore ;)

But reading online guidelines about this error it seems that it's not only hardware failure related, but "Timeout response" time of disk...very normal considering resuming from Connected Standby, the most typical scenario where this error occurs, or so it seems.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think patience won't be enough after what just happened today:

Moderators on MS Community just blocked my account, deleted all my posts and nuked completely the Official Tegra 4 drivers problem thread I opened, with no logic reason...

Apparently they're terribly scared about this "Faulty Refresh/BSoD/FaultyDrivers/Display Errors/Standby Bug" problems that hundreds of S2 owners are reporting since December updates and before, flooding MS Community Forums.
They've already had a disasterous global press coverage about Surface 2 Pro problems and image, and I imagine they're trying everything to cover up Surface 2 problems too, before they can explode like Pro 2.

Censoring and nuking people complaints (and hard work to find temporary fixes and solutions) too, I guess...

I think this story deserve the first page of WPCentral Home, let's see if they will manage to blank that too :smile:

I agree. I think MS is trying to avoid any negative press, especially after the disastrous sales of the original Surface RT. However, this is only making things worse. I can understand why they would delete instructions on how to delete and install drivers. A brave but not so tech savvy person could really harm their system. But if Microsoft doesn't want people to go to such extremes then they need formally address the issue, or at least pull the faulty drivers until this is resolved.

One guy in the original thread said something about customer support promising a fix next month, but we need something more concrete than that.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

The reason being that it is auto-executing the delete a list of system files that might be referring to the wrong drivers. We have no idea if those OEM files will be numbered the same on your surface! Perhaps they are, but until this is confirmed I would 100% avoid using that method.

I strongly suspect that the thread on the MFST forums has been closed due to this very reason.

At the end of the day, you are messing with system files. If you are not 1000% sure what you are doing, my recommendation would be DON'T DO IT!

If you don't have the technical ability to triple-check what you are about to delete without direct instruction, then you shouldn't be messing around with these files.
That's not true.
After Reset and the first try of Windows Update, those are exactly the same oem#.inf that are modified, no errors here.

And if that's not the case, there's NOT any danger in using "pnputil.exe -d" command, cause this only removes NOT USED drivers in the time the command is launched, so no risk to erase something important: after Reset and first failed Windows Update -> Only December drivers will not be in use. And that's why Windows Update asks again to reinstall it just after checking again for updates.

And that's why everything will get installed again successfully after first try.

No risks here man.
And people scared about possible "spyware/viruses on my Surface!!!111!!1", damn: I uploaded the BATCH file (and not .exe, that's not even compatible with RT) to SkyDrive for a reason: you can watch all the commands that will execute before even downloading it on you hard drive. Damn :eek:rly:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I agree, and it makes sense why MS would delete the thread, it just sucks that MS hasn't formally addressed the issue.

I used the pnputil.exe utility to remove the problematic display driver. Plus that allowed me to get the newest driver straight from Windows Update as opposed to an external download. But again, anyone dabbling in driver deletion has to be very careful.

davejones2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Cool, I stand corrected. So if you point the pnputil.exe -d towards the wrong OEM (i.e. a repository driver stored for a driver actually installed and in use) it'll not delete it?

I was very careful not delete anything current when I first tried it out because I wasn't sure what would happen.

EDIT
I thought it was worthwhile clarifying this because OEM 66 and 67 on my Surface refer to the firmware updates 11/05/2013,1.0.37500.0 and 11/13/2013,4.4.500, which do get installed when you ran the update originally, and as they are firmware updates, are permanently applied so do not need removing.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
A little update: I think Microsoft is constantly reading WPCentral forums too I guess:

My MS Community account was restored, so all the posts and Tegra 4 topic.

I think the "Let's put the story on WPCentral Home" was an intimidation too big to handle even for them :smile:

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Cool, I stand corrected. So if you point the pnputil.exe -d towards the wrong OEM (i.e. a repository driver stored for a driver actually installed and in use) it'll not delete it?

I was very careful not delete anything current when I first tried it out because I wasn't sure what would happen.
Correct, it won't.
There's another command for that: "pnputil.exe -f"

The -d only "deletes" the drivers not used (aka: old).

That's why it's not risky at all, it only cleans up unnecessary things.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Here some screenshot after a Reset + Quickfix Method.

All Drivers updated with success:

Cattura_di_schermata_1.png

Reliability Report with Zero errors after Quickfix Method and December update installed correctly just after:

Cattura_di_schermata_2.png

Very happy about it, no more need to call Support or exchange the device , and now I'm fully ready to next February updates, firmware and drivers.

Cheers :smile:

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not 100% if my new issue is related to the Tegra Driver / BSOD (I've battled these in the past with my Surface 2). My newest issue was getting the Bluetooth wireless keyboard adapter driver to install correctly. I contact MS support this morning via chat to see why the pairing process wouldn't install the driver without errors. The device would pair but only the trackpad on would work and all the other keys were non responsive. The Tech guy on chat suggest I reset my device back to factory to fix the issue. Argh.... I explained to him the issue with resetting and BSOD and he instantly setup me up with a replacement device.... Hopefully the new device will solve some issues.....

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with my brand new Surface 2, but for what it takes I partially SOLVED it doing this:

1) After Refresh/Reset and BSOD, keep pressing the Power button till S2 powers down. Press it again and the process will complete;
2) Do all the WIndows Updates, and reboot as necessary; your drivers will still be the August ones (not all of them, only the Tegra 4 ones), even if all the updates will be installed correctly;
3) Now, do a USB Recovery Partition Backup, info here: Create a USB recovery drive for Microsoft Surface | Free up Surface storage space ;4) Reboot your S2 with the USB drive inserted and keep pressing the Volume Down button till you see the circle spinning logo of Surface;
5) RESTORE your Surface from USB (when asked find your BitLocker key following the instructions and with a Smartphone or another Laptop/PC), choose to Repartition too, and if you see a message telling you to erase the Protected content or something like that choose Yes pressing the Volume Up button).

I had no more BSOD after this process, even trying to Refresh/Restore normally from the HDD and not USB, so one problem is finally SOLVED for good.But the Tegra 4 drivers will still be the August version...

Anyway my Surface 2 is still very stable, no glitches on screen, no lag, Halo Spartan Assault runs 60FPS without a single hiccup, and everything is butter smooth and stable.
My S2 only crashed once while in Standby and receiving a Skype call.

And I think that Tegra 4 drivers will be updated correctly on the next firmware update too.

This is a problem apparently affecting ALL S2 after Refresh/Reset, so taking it back to the Store for another one is a "non-solution"

Let's hope MS fix this ASAP, and not on the second Tuesday of January (01/14)...

Hope I helped!

UPDATE: I opened a topic on the official Surface 2 Community Forum too, here: My Tegra 4 drivers won't update - Microsoft Community . If you have the same problems, please, post in there too and let our voice rise directly towards Microsoft!

Hi...

Quick question: See the lines in italics above. On reading the MS page for creating a recovery drive, it appears that the recovery partition is wiped out. Is this correct? If yes, then how can you refresh from the HDD? I am asking this because I have the same BSOD problem + the driver problem. Though, when I did run your utility (in the way you suggested, I did get the Dec version of the 2767 drivers).

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Recovery partition is not deleted resetting from USB, but otherwise it is re-created again from USB too.
USB Recovery Drive contains the Full thing: both Windows RT 8.1 and Recovery Partition too, so don't worry, you can wipe and reinstall everything back to factory directly through USB drive.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Recovery partition is not deleted resetting from USB, but otherwise it is re-created again from USB too.
USB Recovery Drive contains the Full thing: both Windows RT 8.1 and Recovery Partition too, so don't worry, you can wipe and reinstall everything back to factory directly through USB drive.

Thanks.

Also in that post that I made above, see point 5 - "5) RESTORE your Surface from USB (when asked find your BitLocker key following the instructions and with a Smartphone or another Laptop/PC), choose to Repartition too, and if you see a message telling you to erase the Protected content or something like that choose Yes pressing the Volume Up button)."

So, two questions: (1) WHat does choosing repartition do? (2) What does erasing Protected Content do? And, what is this protected content?

Again, thanks in advance!

Edit: Does this also mean that the device is reset to factory conditions, which means all the apps etc. have to be reinstalled again?

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks.

Also in that post that I made above, see point 5 - "5) RESTORE your Surface from USB (when asked find your BitLocker key following the instructions and with a Smartphone or another Laptop/PC), choose to Repartition too, and if you see a message telling you to erase the Protected content or something like that choose Yes pressing the Volume Up button)."

So, two questions: (1) WHat does choosing repartition do? (2) What does erasing Protected Content do? And, what is this protected content?

Again, thanks in advance!

Edit: Does this also mean that the device is reset to factory conditions, which means all the apps etc. have to be reinstalled again?

Yes it means everything is deleted and then recreated from scratch, partition scheme and TPM too (that containes stored all personal bitlocker keys automatically created during use so far), so you would lose all personal data and apps, and you have to do a full backup of personal file before proceeding of course (I suggest an external hard-drive with File History built in in WinRT, it's very fast and effective)

For apps and settings (like UI personal layout) don't worry: it's all automatically synced via Skydrive once you will log-in with your MS account, everything will be in its place in a matter of minutes...

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes it means everything is deleted and then recreated from scratch, partition scheme and TPM too (that containes stored all personal bitlocker keys automatically created during use so far), so you would lose all personal data and apps, and you have to do a full backup of personal file before proceeding of course (I suggest an external hard-drive with File History built in in WinRT, it's very fast and effective)

For apps and settings (like UI personal layout) don't worry: it's all automatically synced via Skydrive once you will log-in with your MS account, everything will be in its place in a matter of minutes...

OK. Thanks. I think I will have to wait for the week end to do this because I use my device for work and I can't afford the downtime during the week. I'm getting pissed off by the BSOD though. What I have noted is that after resetting (and recovering from the BSOD) and installing the updates, if I use your uploaded batch file, the drivers get updated to the latest version - though I have had a few screen freezes when waking from sleep - which is somewhat of a new phenomenon! I seriously wish MS gets their act together!!!!

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, after a couple of days I just got a blue dead pixel right in the center of the screen.
I tried the impossible to fix it too (screen flashing software, physically pushing the pixel), but nothing, so after all my BSoD/Drivers problem, and now this, I ended calling support for excanging my device with overnight Advanced Exchange.

I personally made the order from Surface Support site on Monday, they sent a new S2 on Tuesday, and it arrived super-fast yesterday morning!
Really impressed.

Then I left back mine at the nearest MAILBOXES ETC. UPS store yesterday, and it's already in Netherlands today (from Italy!). wow

Anyway:

My replacement is a better constructed Surface 2 (now with perfectly aligned upward case plate, more solid and hard to press volume rockers and power button, more solid Kickstand, and other little things).
I did the December Firmware update first and everything installed smoothly without any BSoD, and all my Firmware and Drivers updated like they should.

Installed perfectly all the other updates too, and then restored all my files and apps with File History and Skydrive Sync.

No more errors in Reliability Report, no more Display crash in EventLog (even if some small Kernel PnP error are still present, but I assume that this is everyone case), no more crashes or problems.

I think I will never try to Refresh this device again from now on! It's too scary after my past device experience!

Anyway, if you want to go to the Advanced Exchange route too, I highly recommend it based on my experience.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
^Thanks for the update.

I'm also sending my Surface in. Even if I did the USB driver trick that still doesn't fix my loose volume rocker. And while there's no guarantee my new Surface won't have the same driver problem, at least I can take some comfort in that Microsoft has to foot the bill for my repair. :grin:

Sadly, I can't do the Advanced Exchange. Apparently it's not allowed with MasterCard debit cards. :-\

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, after a couple of days I just got a blue dead pixel right in the center of the screen.
I tried the impossible to fix it too (screen flashing software, physically pushing the pixel), but nothing, so after all my BSoD/Drivers problem, and now this, I ended calling support for excanging my device with overnight Advanced Exchange.

I personally made the order from Surface Support site on Monday, they sent a new S2 on Tuesday, and it arrived super-fast yesterday morning!
Really impressed.

Then I left back mine at the nearest MAILBOXES ETC. UPS store yesterday, and it's already in Netherlands today (from Italy!). wow

Anyway:

My replacement is a better constructed Surface 2 (now with perfectly aligned upward case plate, more solid and hard to press volume rockers and power button, more solid Kickstand, and other little things).
I did the December Firmware update first and everything installed smoothly without any BSoD, and all my Firmware and Drivers updated like they should.

Installed perfectly all the other updates too, and then restored all my files and apps with File History and Skydrive Sync.

No more errors in Reliability Report, no more Display crash in EventLog (even if some small Kernel PnP error are still present, but I assume that this is everyone case), no more crashes or problems.

I think I will never try to Refresh this device again from now on! It's too scary after my past device experience!

Anyway, if you want to go to the Advanced Exchange route too, I highly recommend it based on my experience.
If I buy a surface 2 how I must do the updates in what sequence ? I want to buy one but just afraid about all this bosd stuff .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)