Tegra drivers not updating / BSOD on system refresh

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
If I buy a surface 2 how I must do the updates in what sequence ? I want to buy one but just afraid about all this bosd stuff .
I suggest to always do the Firmware first (then reboot) and all the rest later, but even if you do all of them together should be ok, don't worry about it.
Just DO NOT Refresh for now anyway :eek:rly:

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello All. I've had the BSOD issue and finally MS replaced my device with new. MS had no issues replacing my device once the BSOD popped up during the factory reset. I'm tempted to try a factory reset on the new device just to see what happens but I don't want open this can of worms with the new one.

I've received the replacement Surface 2 from Microsoft and all appears well. I made sure both the old and the new device had the latest and greatest updates before gathering the data below. I looked at 6 drivers comparing the old vs new device. As you can see below, all six drivers were outdated on the old Surface 2. Also, after gathering this data, I did perform one final factory reset on the old Surface 2 and received yet another BSOD...

NVIDIA Terga 4 Drivers (shows Version & Date)

Old
Display X.2672 8/13/2013
Power Management X.2704 8/30/2013
Secure Channel X.2669 8/13/2013
Secure Engine X.2669 8/13/2013
Audio Control X.2674 8/14/2013
Memory Control X.2669 8/13/2013

New
Display X.2767 11/9/2013
Power Management X.2757 10/23/2013
Secure Channel X.2757 10/23/2013
Secure Engine X.2757 10/23/2013
Audio Control X.2774 11/26/2013
Memory Control X.2757 10/23/2013

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Dropped my S2 off with Fedex this morning. MS said it'll take about a week and a half before I receive another. Hopefully this is the end of it (not likely)

hermantj

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi every one!

Here is my story. I had the "sleep" issue with my Surface (we getting it out of sleep mode, the surface wouldn't wake up). And once I also had a error message saying the "graphic something" crashed. So I started wondering about this issue, and I suspected a graphic driver (so Tegra driver) issue. I landed on this thread, read it, and tried to refresh my surface. SURPRISE! BSOD!!!

I thought I was lucky because Paolo had the solution. So I tried everything he said. Restore from USB driver, update everything. The firmware update crashed. I launched the executable. Installed the firmware update well. And again surprise!. Tegra drivers are dated from april 2009!!!

Any idea?

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
yes i did it.
I just noticed that all my drivers are ok (november 2013) except the 4 tegra processors...
Under "Processors" section all the Tegra 4 processors should be 2009, it's normal.
I just checked even on my brand new Surface 2 updated correctly the first time without a problem, don't worry :)

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I think I will never try to Refresh this device again from now on! It's too scary after my past device experience!....

If someone would upload a USB image of the recovery from there new replacement Surface 2, I would be more than happy to test it to see if it would fix the update problems on my surface 2.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
If someone would upload a USB image of the recovery from there new replacement Surface 2, I would be more than happy to test it to see if it would fix the update problems on my surface 2.
They've already tried that on MS Forums, and it doesn't work (drivers still won't update).
Someone should try to Refresh a brand new replacement unit and see if that will BSoD too or not, and then try to update drivers after.

But I won't be that someone for sure after my experience, and now with a perfectly functioning S2, sorry...

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
They've already tried that on MS Forums, and it doesn't work (drivers still won't update).
Someone should try to Refresh a brand new replacement unit and see if that will BSoD too or not, and then try to update drivers after.

But I won't be that someone for sure after my experience, and now with a perfectly functioning S2, sorry...

I agree with Paolo. It would be great to refresh a replacement device and see what happens. I contemplated doing that with mine replacement device before updating the install my apps but steered clear. I must say my replacement device is running perfect. No issues....

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Oh well, if it doesn't work on another Surface 2, odds are it wouldn't on yours either. I found a recovery image online today and installed it...still the drivers didn't update the first time...however I have not got the sleep of death problem I was getting before (restarting my Surface 2, and closing the cover would always cause sleep of death). Also my error logs appears to have less errors now too.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Oh well, if it doesn't work on another Surface 2, odds are it wouldn't on yours either. I found a recovery image online today and installed it...still the drivers didn't update the first time...however I have not got the sleep of death problem I was getting before (restarting my Surface 2, and closing the cover would always cause sleep of death). Also my error logs appears to have less errors now too.
That's because resetting from USB fixes those errors even with your own Recovery Image, but like I said: not drivers problem...

hermantj

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Under "Processors" section all the Tegra 4 processors should be 2009, it's normal.
I just checked even on my brand new Surface 2 updated correctly the first time without a problem, don't worry :)

Thanks! So I justed checked, and all my drivers are up to date.

And afert 2-3 days of using my surface 2, I haven't had the "stuck in sleep mode" problem.
I can confirm Paolo's method is working! Thank you again!

hermantj

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Did you do everything ? Restore from usb, installing all update, running the executable from Paolo, and updating again?

Because for me it seems to have solved all my problems. But I didn't try to refresh yet, and I don't know if I will...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It SEEMS that MS officially fixed the drivers problem with latest firmware/software updates, see here: Drivers and firmware cannot be updated on Windows 8.1-based devices

:)

I just got my Surface back today from repairs. Well, I got a Surface. This is definitely not my original. The dented edge isn't there plus the volume rocker works fine! I updated all the drivers and everything looks fine. I don't know whether that's due to my replacement or today's firmware update. Either way, today was a great day to get my S2 back! :grin:

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
It SEEMS that MS officially fixed the drivers problem with latest firmware/software updates, see here: Drivers and firmware cannot be updated on Windows 8.1-based devices

:)
Paolo & all .
In a weeks time mostly I will be picking up a surface 2 in Hong Kong , what are the first steps i need to do to unsure that I have stress free experience with the surface 2 ?

Will the updates take a lot of time ? And has Microsoft finally solved the BOSD problem ?
Iam asking this because I will be bringing the surface back to India with me , hence no chance that I can even replace it .
Also can you help me with things I need to check hardware and software wise in the surface 2 to have trouble free experience from day one .

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Paolo & all .
In a weeks time mostly I will be picking up a surface 2 in Hong Kong , what are the first steps i need to do to unsure that I have stress free experience with the surface 2 ?

Will the updates take a lot of time ? And has Microsoft finally solved the BOSD problem ?
Iam asking this because I will be bringing the surface back to India with me , hence no chance that I can even replace it .
Also can you help me with things I need to check hardware and software wise in the surface 2 to have trouble free experience from day one .
My advice is: just install all updates immediately after first launch (I suggest drivers first, reboot, and all the others next).

If everything install correctly without BSoDs, just use your Surface 2 normally cause everything is good.

Just DO NOT try to Refresh or Reset your device, at least not yet (even if it SEEMS that they solved those problems with latest update, but do not do it yet anyway if everything work well).

Let us know how it goes ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs