Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Clean Install of Windows RT on Surface 2 using RTM ISO

Nice guide! Just keep in mind that this might not be completely safe

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Well it's safe enough. I think the worst that can happen is you would need to recover using your Recovery USB.
I have had no problems yet, and as a bonus my battery is lasting longer, before my Battery life estimates said between 6 and 7 hours, now its closer to 9.

I updated the format of the guide to make it easier to follow.

Attachments

• battery-report.zip
    13.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the guide.

Did you include drivers from 2014-02-11?

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the guide.

Did you include drivers from 2014-02-11?
You're welcome.
No they came out after I uploaded the driver package, but they'll install okay via windows update. Alternatively you use your own FileRepository folder, the newest drivers would then be included in your install.
I just finished testing the install by booting from the USB and using a HUB for a mouse, keyboard and the USB flash disk. All worked well.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Clean Install of Windows RT 8.1 on Surface 2 using RTM ISO

Update:
Drivers files are now updated as of 3/13/2014
Added a how-to use the RTM install.wim with surface 2 drivers in your recovery partition.
Enjoy!

dreamers123

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

i took the install.wim from my recovery usb that i made from the surface 2 and used your instructions to put in the latest drivers. i don't know what the latest drivers are supposed to be for the display drivers etc. but it installed on my refreshed surface 2 like a charm. thank you. i wanted to try your rtm iso. but it took too long for me to download it. so went with the second option.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

i took the install.wim from my recovery usb that i made from the surface 2 and used your instructions to put in the latest drivers. i don't know what the latest drivers are supposed to be for the display drivers etc. but it installed on my refreshed surface 2 like a charm. thank you. i wanted to try your rtm iso. but it took too long for me to download it. so went with the second option.

oh neat, good idea! I had to use the RTM as there is something wrong with my original recovery wim, my surface had nothing but problems after I restored it the first time. I will add a mirror for the RTM ISO at some point when I get the time.

Update; added a Mega mirror for 8.1 RT RTM ISO and updated guide with a better and easier method, thanks dreamers123 for the idea!

Last edited:

raymoore64

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to Install Windows RT 8.1 RTM on Surface 2

Great guide. Perhaps you can help me as i messed up my Lumia 2520 trying to reset it! I now only get the BSOD for a couple of seconds with error code 0xc0000001. Then it turns off. I cannot even get it to go into recovery. I have made a recovery usb from a friends MS surface and nothing happens when this is plugged in! When i turn it on and leave it after the Nokia logo I get what seems like a choice for Windows rt 8.1 to but from volume 4 (two icons offering the same choice) but these dont react to touch and it automatically counts down saying it will boot but all I get is the screen saver and a little PC icon with a red cross in the corner. The touchscreen is frozen and nothing else happens? I'm stuck and really dont know what to do??? Any ideas???
Thanks in advance.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Excuse my ignorance. Is this an upgrade to the windows 8.1 the surface 2 comes with or a work around if you lost your recovery usb drive and deleted the copyed saved internally? Is there a way to install the windows from the pro model so you can install your own software vs stuff from the app store?

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Great guide. Perhaps you can help me as i messed up my Lumia 2520 trying to reset it! I now only get the BSOD for a couple of seconds with error code 0xc0000001. Then it turns off. I cannot even get it to go into recovery. I have made a recovery usb from a friends MS surface and nothing happens when this is plugged in! When i turn it on and leave it after the Nokia logo I get what seems like a choice for Windows rt 8.1 to but from volume 4 (two icons offering the same choice) but these dont react to touch and it automatically counts down saying it will boot but all I get is the screen saver and a little PC icon with a red cross in the corner. The touchscreen is frozen and nothing else happens? I'm stuck and really dont know what to do??? Any ideas???
Thanks in advance.

Thanks.
Have you tired these steps?
Power off the unit (holding the power button 10 seconds if necessary).
Momentarily press the power button so the unit boots up. You should notice the green LED light next to the front camera. As soon as you see the Nokia logo, hold down the power button until the unit turns off (approximately 10 seconds). You have now successfully interrupted the boot process.
Repeat the above step once more.
Boot the unit for a third time without interrupting the boot process. You will notice the text ‘Preparing Automatic Repair‘ followed by ‘Diagnosing your PC‘. You have now successfully triggered the recovery mode.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Excuse my ignorance. Is this an upgrade to the windows 8.1 the surface 2 comes with or a work around if you lost your recovery usb drive and deleted the copyed saved internally? Is there a way to install the windows from the pro model so you can install your own software vs stuff from the app store?

This guide is not an upgrade of Windows. It can be used as a work around if you lost your recovery drive and usb recovery. There is no way to install Windows 8.1 Pro on an RT as the CPU is ARM based.

bAdSubject4S

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi,

I have succeeded in installing that on my Surface, but unfortunately I lost my product key backup somewhere :/
And neither of those keys work, I don't think there is any way to retrieve it right? (I really hope so)
Or could I call Microsoft with my serial number etc. for it?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Hi,

I have succeeded in installing that on my Surface, but unfortunately I lost my product key backup somewhere :/
And neither of those keys work, I don't think there is any way to retrieve it right? (I really hope so)
Or could I call Microsoft with my serial number etc. for it?

Hi, yes you can recover your product key. Download an official ms surface 2 recovery key from here it will be activated with your key ; https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=203A62CBEDC78BA2&id=203A62CBEDC78BA2!6247&authkey=!AIcBVsLygTfpZxQ
copy the contents of the zip file to a USB flash drive and then boot from it, once installed run the bat file from the first post, it will show you your key in a command prompt window, once you have it..you can then either continue to use the official image or reinstall using the RTM method. Hope this helps.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately that program does not work in Windows RT, one would need to use the batch file from the first post to obtain their product key.

lol, thanks... didn't pay enough attention to the thread title. :-/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb