Advice needed - surface 2 lte versus Lumia 2520

thoughthalo

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I am in a dilemma. I have got a Lumia 2520 with the power keyboard. I am wondering if there is any advantage of selling my 2520 and getting the surface 2 LTE?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you could just check out a comparison of the two as the LTE Surface is almost the same as the non cellular one.
I'm sure comparisons exist.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree with xandros9. Go play with a Surface 2 with each of the keyboard options and decide based on that. Take your 2520 with you and do a side by side comparison.

I like the slightly smaller screen of the 2520 and its colors are truer than the Surface 2. The 2520 is readable in sunlight, the Surface 2 might not be so much. While I like the power keyboard I don't like the doubling of the weight. I did end up buying a Poetic case for when I want a lighter package and don't think I'll need the keyboard that much but I really wish it had the thin keyboard option like the Surface does. I like the speed with which the 2520 charges but I understand that the Surface 2 isn't too far behind in that respect. I much prefer the front facing speakers of the 2520 so I can actually hear it. On my Wife's Surface RT I can hardly hear it if there is much ambient noise and end up having to cup my hand around one or both sides to direct the sound so I can hear it. Maybe that isn't an issue with you but side and rear facing speakers are a dumb idea in my book. I also think that putting only 32MB in an RT device is crippling the device. That is the biggest gripe I have with the 2520. The OS just doesn't allow merging of the SD card memory with the device memory.

I suspect that the connectivity aspects of each device will be identical so it comes down to personal preference and if your budget allows a swap.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you tether with the phone and save

I take it you don't have an LTE enabled tablet and/or you don't use it much. I effectively have 2 years of connectivity for $120 which is quite inexpensive. ($100 off tablet purchase with 2 years at $10/mo) The continence is well worth it for me.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I would agree with the folks here. If you have a good - and by good I mean cost-effective and fast - data connection with your phone contract and you don't pay extra, then you can probably save a lot of money by simply tethering. I keep reading about how people feel that this is an extra burden - frankly, I fail to appreciate that position (and point of view).

I am on a yearly contract for my mobile phone. But that also comes with unlimited data and free tethering. Guess what, I use it all the time on both my iPad and my Surface 2. Its convenient and cost effective - plus I am not tempted to buy the LTE version of the Surface (as and when it will become available in my area).

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with the folks here. If you have a good - and by good I mean cost-effective and fast - data connection with your phone contract and you don't pay extra, then you can probably save a lot of money by simply tethering. I keep reading about how people feel that this is an extra burden - frankly, I fail to appreciate that position (and point of view).

That is because your needs/experience is different. You probably also have a hard time appreciating other's points of view when they lie outside your experience in other areas. Only the one paying the bill can determine if it is for them. For some people the time it takes to tether their tablet to their phone each and every time they need a cellular data connection for their tablet is just not worth the hassle, not to mention the extra drain on the phone battery or the extra USB cable to hook the phone to the tablet so that the phone doesn't drain as fast. In some situations time not wasted is money in the bank.

For the OP, check out the quick review at Surface 2 LTE – Quick impression and answering some questions | Windows Phone Central.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
That is because your needs/experience is different. You probably also have a hard time appreciating other's points of view when they lie outside your experience in other areas. Only the one paying the bill can determine if it is for them. For some people the time it takes to tether their tablet to their phone each and every time they need a cellular data connection for their tablet is just not worth the hassle, not to mention the extra drain on the phone battery or the extra USB cable to hook the phone to the tablet so that the phone doesn't drain as fast. In some situations time not wasted is money in the bank.

For the OP, check out the quick review at Surface 2 LTE ?€“ Quick impression and answering some questions | Windows Phone Central.

Sometimes it is a wise thing not to speculate on I (or, for that matter, anyone) may think or not. If you read my post carefully - and assuming you can comprehend things - you will note that I make an allowance for the cost factor. The point that I have difficulty with is when the people I refer to claim that they find tethering to be a hassle - cost not being a determining and/ or contributory factor to the said sense of being hassled. Was that a bit clearer for you?

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm in a similar boat. I'm debating a tablet for couch surfing, and to take out and about (I have a Surface Pro, but I'd like something a little better on battery and so the GF and I don't have to fight over one device). I'm on Verizon, so it simplifies the immediate choice if I don't want to tether, but I'm wondering if I should wait for MS to release a version that supports Verizon's network.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it is a wise thing not to speculate on I (or, for that matter, anyone) may think or not. If you read my post carefully - and assuming you can comprehend things - you will note that I make an allowance for the cost factor. The point that I have difficulty with is when the people I refer to claim that they find tethering to be a hassle - cost not being a determining and/ or contributory factor to the said sense of being hassled. Was that a bit clearer for you?
That is EXACTLY what I am responding to. No need to clarify what you were saying. It was quite clear and you just reconfirmed that I replied correctly.

thoughthalo

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot everybody for your responses and advice.
I have gone ahead and picked up the Surface 2 LTE and am giving it a try to see if it ends up replacing my 2520 for my connected tablet needs.
As of now I am liking the following about the Surface2 LTE versus the 2520:
1. Touch keyboard 2. Much better than the original touch keyboard. The backlighting is awesome :)
2. Better viewing angle options due to the kickstand
3. Better build quality though it is a personal choice of plastic versus metal
Will keep everybody posted if I end up replacing any device or keep both ;)

sdanaher

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
That is EXACTLY what I am responding to. No need to clarify what you were saying. It was quite clear and you just reconfirmed that I replied correctly.

I felt obligated to comment as you see the "why not just tether" comment a lot... It really is a workflow issue. Tethering is a pain for me. I'm on 4-6 flights a week and work primarily from an LTE tablet. Landing and switching the airplane mode off on my tablet and catching up on email and work while taxi'ing is one example.

Also I probably do 75% of my work while not in an office, tethering undoubtedly has slower more often than not while also on the phone.. and since I'm mobile and on calls pretty much all day... it isn't an option for me.

Totally get that some people don't need LTE inn their tablet, I do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel