Can the Surface 2 replace a laptop?

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The answer is YES. I have one and it does everything a laptop can do and more. Fresh Pant, Photoshop, Video Editing, 3D modeling, the SP and SP2 does it all.

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
You haven't used the Surface a lot if you haven't had problems yet. Are you on your Surface? Try attaching hyperlinks here in the touch-friendly browser interface. It can't do it. Try going over to a site like Corephotonics and browse around in either interface. It can't do it. Heck, try playing a casual game like Card Hunter for a second. Well, my Surface died. You also need a dedicated mouse(pad) since you can't hover over objects for tool tips.

So it can't even replace an x86-system in browsing. So face the simple fact; the Surface RT/2 is a good tablet, but it cannot and was never intended as a laptop-replacement.

As for "8RT does more", that's kind of goes against the whole "lacks the popular apps" statement. It can do streaming half-decently, its lacking in the browsing-experience and it won't give developers any SDK-access for even things like the battery. On the other hand, iOS has a robust application platform that Microsoft can only hope to rival once they merge RT and WP.

True I understand what you're saying. from Day 1 I bought myself a surface mouse, I think they call it the arc mouse from Microsoft. I use world indicator trade solutions wits.com. The immersive browser on the surface has difficulty properly navigating certain drop down menu options on these sites. IT can be done without a mouse though. I usually long press with my finger on the link I want and it stays open. Still I'm one of those who never like using touch pads over the premium handling of a mouse. my 2cents

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
SO, the real question now is, can the surface 2 replace your laptop? What do you guys think?
I only do browsing on internet and office on the computer.
If you don't need a lot of extra raw power to work on very heavy stuff (like 4K Video Editing, AutoCAD, 3D Modeling and similar), the answer is: Yes.

I ditched my old MacBookPro for it, and I never missed it since I have my Surface 2 RT.

It's super smooth and fast on any occasion (especially after tweaking it a bit), and (for me) I found an App for every need.
IE pages load and render very fast too, with almost no difference from an x86 machine, and, differently from iPad, it is a Full featured browser (with Flash Player plug-in included), so you get from the Web what you would get on a real Laptop.
Even the Office Suite is "the real thing" compared to what MS release on iOS App Store.
The best part is that Windows RT is not a heavily stripped down version of its major OS (like iOS from Mac OS X), but it's the real Windows 8.1 OS just tweaked for ARM devices, and without legacy programs: this doesn't mean "less" like many would think, but just the opposite: it means real multi-tasking, real desktop display mirroring and usage, real USB/Accessories support, native Remote Desktop, parallel updates, Apps code sharing between platforms, high customizability thanks to Classic Control Panel and Windows Registry, and new-coded Apps only.

Hardware-wise is simply the best thing out there in the tablet market instead.

My only complain is that to gain the "rock solid stability" of OS/Drivers/Apps, it took months for MS/NVIDIA to optimize the software, and many stupid problem arised in the past launch timeframe (like display crashes, crackling sounds, Refresh BSoDs and more).

But in the end, they got it now.
So, go for it.
I just LOVE this device!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well since I bought the original Surface on release day, and the Surface 2 on its release day, the laptop that I used to use for over 80 hours a week has yet to be turned on. So yes, I would definitely say it is a laptop replacement! Not only has it replaced all the time I would have spent on my laptop, but I use it even more because of the other fun things that come with it!

If you need to use desktop apps, just use splashtop or teamviewer. I would still prefer that over carrying around a laptop.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Definitely yes - only if you use it for office work (type, browse, send e-mail). Other than that no.

For others, they want to play PC games or use other 3rd party programs, which is impossible on the Surface 2.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Definitely yes - only if you use it for office work (type, browse, send e-mail). Other than that no.

For others, they want to play PC games or use other 3rd party programs, which is impossible on the Surface 2.
I use Cinema 4D, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and many other '3rd party' programs on my pro/pro2 and it all works just fine. Sure I won't be dealing with files that require 16 gigs of ram, but most laptops don't really do that either.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I use Cinema 4D, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and many other '3rd party' programs on my pro/pro2 and it all works just fine. Sure I won't be dealing with files that require 16 gigs of ram, but most laptops don't really do that either.

Wow I still couldn't believe people can't differentiate between a Surface 2 and Pro 2. The OP and I were talking about the Surface 2 (the one with the RT OS), the one that isn't able to run 3rd party programs, the one that is cheaper and has no PRO in its name.

The one you're referring to is the PRO, which of course I will recommend the OP if he asks about it, but sadly the OP asks for the ARM surface 2, not the pro one. If he has the budget though, go ahead and buy the Surface PRO 3, instead of the Surface 2, ultimate laptop replacer.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow I still couldn't believe people can't differentiate between a Surface 2 and Pro 2.
Most people don't have the time to read every little detail. But one would assume if you're trying to replace a laptop you're getting a Pro. Either that or you're just a basic user who might as well settle for using only your smartphone as your pc.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Most people don't have the time to read every little detail. But one would assume if you're trying to replace a laptop you're getting a Pro. Either that or you're just a basic user who might as well settle for using only your smartphone as your pc.
It's not every little detail, it's the title, in a large font size. And yes, OP states that he wants to use it only for browsing and office, so he's basic user. You don't want to type a whole length of essay or tabulate something on excel in a smartphone, don't you? Quite the dedication there.

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If you have access to a family PC or work PC then its very easy to replace a laptop with a surface 2. If you use a x86 program heavily/frequently and can't live without it then its a very bad idea.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
That would require: A) a second system B) constantly left on and C) accessible via the network

I feel like most people have at least one PC sitting in their house, hell how about the laptop the Surface is replacing! As far as networks go, I really can't think of anywhere I could go that doesn't have WiFi. I feel like both of these hold true for 90% of us.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I feel like most people have at least one PC sitting in their house, hell how about the laptop the Surface is replacing! As far as networks go, I really can't think of anywhere I could go that doesn't have WiFi. I feel like both of these hold true for 90% of us.
Tell me more about your home planet.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
It's not every little detail, it's the title, in a large font size. And yes, OP states that he wants to use it only for browsing and office, so he's basic user. You don't want to type a whole length of essay or tabulate something on excel in a smartphone, don't you? Quite the dedication there.
This crazy OP has actually typed up a few essays on his Lumia 620 lol. Exactly as pleasant as it sounds

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Saying that it does everything a laptop does is just not true. Unless it's some type of chromebook. If it's a Windows laptop he's replacing, they no way can it do all the things the laptop does. But going by the limited functionality he's using his laptop for, it would be a nice replacement.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm on my Surface 2 all the time and never have needed my laptop (lucky since I got rid of it). I'm a pro photographer and spend a lot of time editing images on my desktop. But, for email, Word Docs, browsing and some games my surface is perfect.

Nicholas Haque

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Can it install windows 10? I don't really care about windows apps from the store and I've never been much of an Instagram user. Can it run TF2? My current PC is a thinkpad with frequent BSKOD problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss