I need to give my honest opinion

Olwen669

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I know I am new to this forum & wish I had found you earlier, maybe then I would have a different opinion of my Microsoft Surface 2 on 8.1 RT.
Have been using this for about 2-3 months now & I can't stand it any more, I find it useless the tablet its self is nice & fast with stunning bright colours & a great battery, but the apps are for want of a better word ****, POINTLESS, COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME, I am constantly searching & installing apps even just basic photo editors as an example, there isn't hundreds of great app as Microsoft keep saying, there is however hundreds of useless apps that once installed either don't work or want money off you, considering the cost of these tablets Microsoft have a cheek charging for any apps, I can honestly say I have one photo app "fotor" installed that's good but just lacks some basics. Anyway I am not here to review the apps ... or should I say lack of but it is one of my main gripes.
What is the story with all the updates & from what I can see big updates with 8.1 & security issues its doin my head in, my tablet has had to have a reset done & recovery (that's ridiculous for again the cost & its not even 3 months old) my Windows 7 Home Premium - Acer All in One Z5801 is ten times better!! Thought these 8.1 are the latest in tech?
Plus to rub salt into an already very sore wound the Type Touch Keyboard has wrong key mapping so can't use at all & I do attach when updating in hope of a miracle.
Sorry this is a rant but am so fed up with this tablet I feel like screaming out of boredom ... I am sure a calculator would be more stimulating to use.
Last point why do I have to keep signing in to use my tablet???? Frustrating.:crying:
I do have both units due to go into Microsoft & to be replaced with reconditioned units (as not bought through Microsoft)

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for your frustrations.

No you do not have to keep signing in. Go into the Settings and configure the sign-in option as you see fit.

Olwen669

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Name me a price with keyboard

I was in the middle of editing my post & yes IE closed so apologies if not a punctual post.

Have to add why are the cameras so disappointing?? For an expensive tablet & NO FLASH

Last edited by a moderator:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Have to add why are the cameras so ****?? For an expensive tablet & NO FLASH

Honestly, I forgot my Surface Pro even has a camera. Your phone has a better camera, take the pics with it, upload to OneDrive, then on your Surface download the pic/s.

Olwen669

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I know I love my gs3 camera but unfortunately the digitiser just went so all I have is the surface hence my rant :amaze:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I kind of have to echo the OP having the original RT.
Mine sits in a drawer now :(

Found the Dell Venue Pro 8 a much, much better option as far as Windows on a tablet.
Great camera on the Dell too...
I use the camera a lot on my DV8P.

Last edited:

Olwen669

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Such a shame as like the look of the surface &even windows 8 but its not stable enough or even practical.
I used to have a dell streak 7 tablet great camera and tablet wish I hadn't sold it :angel:

Ozzy1320

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I know I am new to this forum & wish I had found you earlier, maybe then I would have a different opinion of my Microsoft Surface 2 on 8.1 RT.
Have been using this for about 2-3 months now & I can't stand it any more, I find it useless the tablet its self is nice & fast with stunning bright colours & a great battery, but the apps are for want of a better word ****, POINTLESS, COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME, I am constantly searching & installing apps even just basic photo editors as an example, there isn't hundreds of great app as Microsoft keep saying, there is however hundreds of useless apps that once installed either don't work or want money off you, considering the cost of these tablets Microsoft have a cheek charging for any apps, I can honestly say I have one photo app "fotor" installed that's good but just lacks some basics. Anyway I am not here to review the apps ... or should I say lack of but it is one of my main gripes.
What is the story with all the updates & from what I can see big updates with 8.1 & security issues its doin my head in, my tablet has had to have a reset done & recovery (that's ridiculous for again the cost & its not even 3 months old) my Windows 7 Home Premium - Acer All in One Z5801 is ten times better!! Thought these 8.1 are the latest in tech?
Plus to rub salt into an already very sore wound the Type Touch Keyboard has wrong key mapping so can't use at all & I do attach when updating in hope of a miracle.
Sorry this is a rant but am so fed up with this tablet I feel like screaming out of boredom ... I am sure a calculator would be more stimulating to use.
Last point why do I have to keep signing in to use my tablet???? Frustrating.:crying:
I do have both units due to go into Microsoft & to be replaced with reconditioned units (as not bought through Microsoft)

I think you should have asked yourself first before buying the S2RT, what am I going to doing with it? I believe you came from a disappointing line of android tablets that fail to make the grade or meet your standards when it comes to quality but unfortunately you fallen victim to the hype and trend, I'm not sure what kind of editing you were expecting from S2RT but there are apps out there that I have seen with a good rep name for example, Adobe Photoshop express and many more from what I have read it seem to fit the basic desires of editing I repeat Basic. I'm really not sure if its what you want or consider to be of quality for you but what else where you expecting.

Developer are the ones that decide to charge or make money off of the apps not MS please try to use reasoning or research before saying anything that might call your opinion or comment into question. Example I do believe that Office comes preinstalled on every S2RT on the market if I am wrong please correct me. And if I am right you did not have to pay for it, yes I know office is its own entity but still MS had to make some kind of deal for you not to pay a single dime to make use of Office on the S2RT. Maybe you are right that the majority is simply trash but IMO doing desktop work on your tablet is not something practical.

Windows 7 home premium compared to a RT device again you have either been miss informed of what you bought or decided to ignore the reality. Win7 a mature OS or perhaps the evolutionary stage of WinXP. Win Vista unwelcomed flop or trial and error. As to why you have to sign in every time you jump on your tablet that's something you might have to ask your self. Did you set your security measure properly? Did you use your Hotmail or live account upon set up? Are my devices set to sync my all setting to one unit? Perhaps you used a Gmail, Yahoo or Aol account to sign in prompting the S2RT to request a login.

Do you have the correct keyboard touch keyboard attached? As far as I know there are three versions available for the touch keyboard, gen2 which is made for the S2RT, gen3 which are the pros that give you minimal or no usability (not really sure about this) due to the fact of the different sizes and the gen1 which can be used on the S2RT if the app is downloaded from the store.

Most of your rants are warranted but the majority IMO is simple user error or lack of knowledge no disrespect intended. Many people still ask up to this day why they cant install regular desktop apps on there RT devices. The RT was not meant to for everyone and is absolutely not meant to replace your desktop/console, camera or phone it is an extension of what ever media consumption device you would normally use on the train, airplane, in class at work or where ever something. That's how I use it in any case. Please understand I am not denying your complaints I do think this more could have been done to advise the consumers about what they are getting them selves into when they purchase the device and MS them selves could have done a better job of targeting the demographic to dispel misinformation. You're not at fault for wanting more but some how along the lines you got some bad info about what you were buying.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I know I love my gs3 camera but unfortunately the digitiser just went so all I have is the surface hence my rant :amaze:

Sorry, I assumed you had a WP8 device.

Found the Dell Venue Pro 8 a much, much better option as far as Windows on a tablet..

I have to disagree. I had an original Surface RT. It worked for me. Didn't need it for legacy apps; mainly used it for Office, email and the web. I decided I wanted to downsize; sold my RT and bought the DV8P. Did not like it at all. Terrible issues with the screen. Returned it and bought a Surface Pro. Love the Surface Pro. For me, I won't use anything else but a Surface.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My wife has a Surface 2, it was bought as a tablet to do tablety type things, she surfs the web, plays music, email, the odd game, uses SmartGlass to see what's on telly, has a look at her photo's, she can pick it up and walk into the kitchen or anywhere in the house with it and it stands nicely so no taking up potentially messy kitchen surfaces, if she is visiting family for the weekend it fits in her bag with her phone, much less work than taking a laptop so it's ideal as a domestic tablet.

If she needs to do anything more serious she would use her laptop.

I have a surface pro (Original one with an i5, 4g and a 128ssd) and to be honest if I was going to do photo editing I would probably reach for my laptop or more probably my desktop.

If you really want a powerhouse tablet the Pro series is the way to go, if you want a nice tablet to do tablety things but still be within the Windows world with access to OneDrive One Note and normal stuff, a Surface running RT is a very decent machine.

Sorry it hasn't lived up to your expectations, but sometimes we can overestimate the greatness of our expectations as Dickens once pointed out.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,
The lack of Modern UI apps is a chronic issue that is getting slightly worsedue to the speed of apps being made available on other platforms that is widening the gap. As long as your needs are modest and don't mind dealing with simplistic apps, then things appear to be getting better, but very slowly from a Windows-only perspective.

I ended up getting a pretty good trade-in deal at Best Buy this Summer. The capabilities of the hardware (fullsized USB and near full support for USB devices, microSD card, mini-DisplayPort) are all great, but without the apps to exploit them they go to waste.

Sorry this is a rant but am so fed up with this tablet I feel like screaming out of boredom ... I am sure a calculator would be more stimulating to use
The second greatest irritation of Surface RT/2 ownership (behind the lack of apps) is the mass of updates which often (in my experience) go south requiring re-applying fixes or rebuilding... fixing some things, while breaking others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3