Why isn't my Surface 2 Touchscreen working after update?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date

LongTrail

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't do Facebook otherwise I'd be happy to post something, I was in contact with MS last night and they have put me in contact with customer care, lets see where that goes...

Gaucho90

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I just messaged the Surface Team (I think) on Facebook, with a link to this thread too. We'll see if I get a response. Just search for Microsoft Surface in Facebook and that will get you the same page.

Edit: Surface Team on Facebook just asked that I post this issue in the MS community forum which I did, so not much help.

Last edited:

jtby

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Well I am out of luck. After numerous reset, refresh, reinstall, it just will not work. Except for one time after a battery drain sequence and reset it worked for a little while, until another update ran. Microsoft Support Team finally requested the Microsoft Care Team to extend my warrantee and replace, so I was very excited. But then the Care Team came back a few days later and said no, my surface is out of warranty so no replacement.

So an automatic software update broke my surface, and Microsoft's official final response for me to purchase an upgrade. Much like the crypto locker virus approach.

And Microsoft does not care about it at all. I have been such a good Microsoft customer over the years, and even invested in multiple versions of Windows Phone. All just to have Microsoft take a crap on my surface and then tell me to go away.

Well, good bye, and good luck with your surfaces!

Lee Anderson2

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't know how they can still be claiming that this is a hardware issue? This is clearly a software issue and it would seem caused by an update pushed by MS which we had no choice in... I do think despite there being a good few posts here with the same issue at the same time that this in reality seems quite isolated compared to the number of devices out there so unless there are more users come out of the wood work I can't see us getting anywhere with MS in terms of acknowledging this is their fault through software issues. For the most part everyone seems to be out of warranty so I am wondering if this was an issue with earlier models only?

Arnoud Otten

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I called support (the netherlands) and microsoft told me this is a know issue with some of the surface 2 models. The problem
appeared after an microsoft update. I`ve called them twice, but there will be a fix in abount 2 to 3 weeks. I called two weeks ago, and last week also again.

The only thing the support people can tell you is: yes i understand, but i cant tell you when the fix will be there, we can only ask for patience.

We have to wait and see, i was glad to hear that it is caused by an update instead of a broken touchscreen.

jtby

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't get it, because I have been talking with Microsoft Support since June of 2015 up until this week and they never mentioned to me that it is a known issue with a fix in the works. That would be good news! I have been using the chat form to interact with Microsoft Support.

jtby

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I called support again and they don't know about any update coming up to fix this. But they did point me to the legal dispute form I can file which at this point has become comical - for example step 3 in the dispute process:

3. Mail a copy of the completed Demand for Arbitration form and your check or money order for $200 to American Arbitration Association, Case Filing Services, 1101 Laurel Oak Road, Suite 100, Voorhees, NJ 08043. Make your check or money order payable to American Arbitration

LongTrail

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I just messaged the Surface Team (I think) on Facebook, with a link to this thread too. We'll see if I get a response. Just search for Microsoft Surface in Facebook and that will get you the same page.

Edit: Surface Team on Facebook just asked that I post this issue in the MS community forum which I did, so not much help.

Can you post a link, I'd like to add a comment.

Lee Anderson2

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I called support (the netherlands) and microsoft told me this is a know issue with some of the surface 2 models. The problem
appeared after an microsoft update. I`ve called them twice, but there will be a fix in abount 2 to 3 weeks. I called two weeks ago, and last week also again.

The only thing the support people can tell you is: yes i understand, but i cant tell you when the fix will be there, we can only ask for patience.

We have to wait and see, i was glad to hear that it is caused by an update instead of a broken touchscreen.
I don't suppose you could ask them for an error number next time you talk to them? I assume companies like Microsoft have databases which hold things like known errors with references and that way we can all confirms with them that our issue relates to that error and hopefully add some weight to the need for a fix

LongTrail

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
It appears posting on the MS Community site is required to get MS' attention, I have done so but can't post a link yet (not had 10 posts!). Searching for this may help find the thread (it was the first hit in bing for me), if people can add comments we might start getting some help:

Surface 2 - August 2015 Automatic Updates have Broken all Touchscreen capabilities!

Jannoyed

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I have a surface pro 3 (day one device). After the windows 10 upgrade and some updates at the end of August my touchscreen started only working after restarting the tablet. Then after about 3 days nothing would fix it. Keep in mind of course warranty is 2 months expired. MS only fix for me is like $350 for a refurbished one with a 90 day warranty. I have tried everything from the USB method beyond. I noticed my touchscreen driver has disappeared anyone else notice this? I would guess hardware, except the timing and fact others seem to have same issue makes me wonder otherwise. Being the broke college student I am I am definitely regretting spending all my graduation money on a sp3. A $1200 device should last more than 14 months.

LongTrail

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
in response to StephaAa:

Thank you :)

I'm finding other threads so this issue is starting to gain momentum! I'd like a fix and get the egg off my face with my mother-in-law!

StephaAa

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
So now my device is randomly working again do we think that preventing windows updates will keep it that way or is that not possible?

see my previous posts. i tried it once on surface 2 rt and it didn't work for me.
first of all rt doesn't allow disabled auto update. but even disabled via reg hack it installed updates and touch was dead again.

Lee Anderson2

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
see my previous posts. i tried it once on surface 2 rt and it didn't work for me.
first of all rt doesn't allow disabled auto update. but even disabled via reg hack it installed updates and touch was dead again.
Oh that's not great news! Seems a shame to allow this to happen again.... I guess all I can do is try and prevent it and if I am not successful then I am no worse off then doing nothing

LongTrail

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Can you point me specifically to the post, I'm on the Facebook page but there's tons of comments for each post. I can't search on the page either.

Thanks.

Nevada Hamaker

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Here's an update. tl;dr: Second reset didn't fix it, but installing all updates afterward apparently did.

I reset the device again. After the reset I let it sit for a while because I went on a trip for several days. When I came back and started it up, the touch screen still was not working. I decided to let it install all updates to see if there was perhaps a fix that came out recently.

I had to install several waves of updates over several days. At some point during that process, the touch screen started working again. I have installed all "important" and security updates, but there are about five or so "optional" updates I haven't installed. At this point, it's working fine so I'm just going to leave it that way and only install important or security updates as they come out.

It is not clear after this just what caused the problem or what has solved it, at least for the time being. It does appear to be a software problem, since if it were a hardware failure it's unlikely it would ever work again. If I have any further updates, I'll let you know.

Traci O

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Dear All,

HUZZAH!

After reading this thread in absolute frustration over the past few months, and trying every single method listed (except I think there was one about putting my Surface in the oven...I didn't do that one), I simply did a Check for Updates ten minutes ago, and on a whim while they were installing, I swiped my screen.

It moved.

My touchscreen is working again! Thanks to all of you for diligently trying to solve this problem. It looks like you got Microsoft's attention.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb