What's filling up my Surface 2? how to make space?

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else just notice that after the patches released today they've got a bunch of free space? My RT 1 went from 6.4gb free to 13.6gb free. I should know how the S2 made out tomorrow but it sounds like MS figured this out.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else just notice that after the patches released today they've got a bunch of free space? My RT 1 went from 6.4gb free to 13.6gb free. I should know how the S2 made out tomorrow but it sounds like MS figured this out.
yes! You beat me to it- I didn't know how to explain it and almost couldn't believe it thinking it was something id managed to do inadvertently. I used the space I gained to do a refresh for good measure and after reinstalling the latest updates I've now got about 10gb free. yes 10GB! Im pretty happy to say the least. I did notice that when heading to disc clean up after the refresh, I had an option to check 'windows.old' which was sitting at 3.2gb alone. To my knowledge, this option was NOT present before as this was one of the first options I had tried several weeks ago now. Curiously too, within the modern settings there is no longer an option to see 'Disc Space' within the 'Devices' tab-I have to go into desk top file explorer to see that if I need to see it. Has that moved? Im now better educated at de cluttering the device now, but its encouraging to have seen such an unexpected improvement on the very issue we'd been having.

TheMoose14

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
In my Windows folder there is a folder called WinSxs that is 10GB one week after I reinstalled my Surface.
I have no ide what this folder does, but I grows in a rapid pace.

Pantsandshirts

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Last night during patch Tuesday updates, I got a 'low space' warning on my 32GB S2 for the first time and wondered how and why it was filling up.. there is very little media on the device as most of my media/pics/video is in in Onedrive and its telling me its almost completely full. I understand the OS itself takes a considerable chunk of the drive up but its not like I have several GB's of pics and video on here.. its mostly used for browsing..

The disk utility in settings is only allowing me to clear at best 1.5gbs of space, but it feels like I should be able to clear more. I've cleared out any apps I wasn't using but the space created is minimal. I'm currently sitting at 27gb full..
Any tips?

This is it!!!
It's the windows winsxs folder holding backups of updates. Follow the instructions to check and then clean the folder.

How to Check the Size and Reclaim Disk Space from WinSxS in Windows 8.1 | Gizmo's Freeware

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Some time ago I noticed that the Bing News app (now just News, I think) was saving articles to my HD and never removing them. It was a nice app but it had to go.

+1 on this, my work VM had ran out of space and I found out the News app was caching articles and photos but not clearing them out. I was at 4 GB used (syncs daily since I am using it regularly). On my Surface 2, it was at 1.3 GB when I uninstalled it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786