Surface 2 - Updated Recovery Image - Dec-18-2015

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Surface 2 - Updated Recovery Image - May-12-2015

Thanks for your effort!
Could you elaborate on how to do this? I would like to create my own recovery image (I need it in German...) with all updates included so that after resetting the S2 with said image it won't install tons and tons of updates like it usually does...

Thanks!

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Your welcome! Adding a language pack directly into the WIM file I made maybe possible, but might push it over the 4GB fat32 limit.
see here; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/hh824893.aspx

German Language Pack - Windows RT 8.1 update: ~ 227740KB
de-DE_LP
http://fg.ds.download.windowsupdate..._cc1eadf9d2031de774c7cb2749856f3ec873dcac.cab
http://fg.ds.download.windowsupdate..._6d9972181447adca54ec3386ad4aedac714b8952.exe

Anyways, this is how I make mine. First I started with building an IR5 image, see my guide here;
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...s-rt-8-1-esd-ir5-surface-2-install-guide.html

Once I have that installed, I go through the OOBE and don't connect to a network with it so it prompts to create a local account, any name but Administrator... it will be deleted later. Once in windows, connect to WiFi and do updates and then restart after complete. Once rebooted check for more updates and install them if more are there, repeat until there are no more updates. Once done, open file manager and browse to c:\windows\system32\sysprep\ and run sysprep.exe. Select 'Enter system audit mode' pull down, and then reboot, do NOT select generalize. Once rebooted, delete the account you created from the control panel, then I run a cleanup in a ADMIN command prompt;

Dism /Cleanup-Image /Online /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

Once that is done, open sysprep.exe again, and select Enter Out-Of-Box-Experience (OOBE) pull down menu, and this time select generalize, and the SHUTDOWN pull down menu. The system will shutdown in a moment, and will no longer boot as it is now prepared for imaging.

Boot from your USB (better to have a large one, like 16GB to make sure there is enough room, or use an NTFS formatted USB hard drive) and select troubleshoot, advance, and command prompt. Once at the command prompt, (remove USB, plug in NTFS USB HD if using) then we need to make a Scratch DIR for DISM logs so they are not in the image, C:\Recycler is ignored so we put it there by entering;

md C:\Recycler\Scratch

then create the wim by running;

DISM /Capture-Image /Compress:max /ImageFile:"D:\install-UPDATED.wim" /CaptureDir:C: /Name:"Windows RT 8.1 Updated" /ScratchDir:C:\Recycler\Scratch

FYI, you can change the /imagefile & /name to whatever you'd like, just leave the quotes & .wim ext.

lots more info here;
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...ing-about-Windows-RT-(WOA)-v8-x-x-and-v10-ARM

Hope this helps, have fun!

Last edited:

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your long answer!
I might look into this but it seems to be too time-consuming for my taste...thanks again though : )

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Surface 2 - Updated Recovery Image - July-3-2015

Is there a way to install the UK language pack? When installing it comes up with US English.

Thanks and keep up the good work. :)

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

Cheers Jon

Question does your image overwrite the backup image partition on the surface drive?

Cheers again

farhandxb

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

Ho John,

Thanks for your great contributions. I am stuck. I extracted and copied this latest image (July 3) to a USB drive. Then I booted on my surface 2 using recovery -> advanced startup and chose USB. (earlier I had tried volume down and power button). Both methods dont work - i.e. i dont boot into the usb.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

FDXB

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Hello farhandxb,
Make sure your USB stick is formatted FAT32. Also, make sure you are extracting/copying the files to the root of the USB drive, not in a folder. You need to boot using the volume down method, it should work. Perhaps try a different USB stick if still having problems.
Good luck, I hope it works for you.

farhandxb

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Jon,

I got the first two right. I guess I have to try another USB stick. The volume down boot up doesnt seem to work on my surface 2. SO I had to use the Recovery method.

EDIT: I am using an 8GB USB stick. Do I need to change any files in the root? Everything is extracted 'as is' from the zip to the root.

Hopefully this should resolve it.

Thanks again for everything.

Regards

FDXB

Last edited:

farhandxb

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

Thanks, the new USB worked! Now I have a scary blue screen after the reset with a request to clear the TPM???!!! Yaaargh!!!

helpincanada

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Surface 2 - Updated Recovery Image - July-18-2015

I tried downloading this recovery but after I download it then what do I have to do with it?

farhandxb

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Surface 2 - Updated Recovery Image -Sept-15-2015

Thanks Jon. Unfortunately, my Surface 2 touch is not working at all. I am not sure if its related to the first update because it was working fine for a while. I have tried resetting and refreshing the device and used the update for recovery. Nothing works. Its probably a hardware issue. Unless its not? anyone else have this problem?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs