iPad Pro vindicates the Surface 2/RT

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Apple's debut yesterday of the iPad Pro to a certain extent vindicates Microsoft's efforts to produce an ARM-based hybrid tablet.

With the exception of the Pencil, the iPad Pro hardware is still severely limited in contrast to the Surface 2/RT. I was really hoping that the iPad Pro would bring things to the table to close the gap... but nothing.

The Surface 2 has a near-full version of desktop MS Office, full-sized USB port that supports USB devices (thumbdrives, harddrives, mice, keyboards, microphones, presentation remotes, gamepads, etc.), HDMI port that supports extended desktop, bluetooth mice... none of which the iPad Pro supports.

In my opinion, Microsoft killed the Surface 2 too soon. Had they remained committed to it (and in touch-optimized Modern UI app development) they could've been in the catbird seat. This is the Zune all over again.

So what I'm left with is that the device that most closely meets my needs is the one that has been discontinued. :unhappy:

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree (typing on my Surface RT 64G) I use it everyday... With Outlook, Notepad, OneNote, Word, IE, etc... Great device... Zero Malware...

Two things I still think that killed the Surface RT/2/Nokia RT devices, Price Point, and Marketing...

$799 for an iPad Pro, $99 for a Pencil, $169 for a Keyboard... The Price Point.... way off...

Marketing (at least Apple knows how to market), but why would anyone pay $1000 for a device like this is beyond me...

Microsoft should have released a Surface RT 3, with Pen Support... and made the price $250... Wow what I would do for a device like that...

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree that they killed RT way too soon. The price was too much as well. $1000 for the iPad Pro doesn't seem nearly as steep after having spent $499 for the Surface 2 and $129 for a keyboard only to end up with few choices of any extra software to put on the device. Since I've decided I am going back to Apple products ( I "switched" to Microsoft all at once 2 1/2 years ago) Windows Phone, Surface 2, and a Windows laptop. Prior to that I was fully Apple products. Windows 8 intrigued me and at the time it looked like Microsoft had a vision. 2 1/2 years later I can't figure out if Microsoft knows what it wants to do. Windows Phone is on life support and Surface RT is dead. I pulled out the old iPad first generation a couple weeks ago and have been using it again and leaving the Surface 2 at home. I'm amazed at how much more polished the apps were even on that old of a device. Other then having to get a browser that lets me choose a mobile id for the browser, the thing actually does pretty good. Can't wait to get my new iPhone soon and hopefully a newer iPad soon as well.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
MS doesn't need Apple to validate anything. iPad loyalists would never consider a MS tablet anyway, so I don't see why it matters. I would just like MS to make good on the vision they sold on one Windows to rule them all. It's probably too late for them make up the divide they have with Apple and Google in mobile, but at least getting a seemless ecosystem working would be great for MS enthusiasts. Also, if any reason, they should do it to get the chip off their shoulder. It's just shameful how Apple mobile products work head and shoulders better in Enterprise than Microsoft.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
MS doesn't need Apple to validate anything. iPad loyalists would never consider a MS tablet anyway, so I don't see why it matters. I would just like MS to make good on the vision they sold on one Windows to rule them all. It's probably too late for them make up the divide they have with Apple and Google in mobile, but at least getting a seemless ecosystem working would be great for MS enthusiasts. Also, if any reason, they should do it to get the chip off their shoulder. It's just shameful how Apple mobile products work head and shoulders better in Enterprise than Microsoft.
There's a difference between "vindicate" and "validate".

You are not correct when you say iPad loyalists would never consider an MS tablet. If you spent any amount of time over the last 1+ years on Apple-centric forums, you would see not only growing interested from the diehard faithful in the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3, but actual defections.

This is yet another lesson for Microsoft to learn which they seem to not learn... that they need to remain committed to what they embark on. They seem to drop things a little too soon.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely agree. I always was saying the Microsoft needs to keep RT afloat at least in order to have a foot into the ARM SoC space with their mainstream OS. RT was also the perfect opportunity for Microsoft to release itself from the Intel lock-in. Since RT featured a complete Win32 subsystem Microsoft could also have opened up desktop development. In many cases you just need to re-compile a desktop app for ARM in order to make it run under RT as all the desktop DLLs, subsystems and libraries are right there on the device.

From the consumer point of view RT offered more choice. If you value malware/virus resistance RT was a perfect choice. Also if you value high performance tablets in a slim and light package (iPad Air like) ARM SoCs are the only choice unlike the slow Atom SoCs slim Windows tablets are now bound to. Again dropping RT just limits the choice.

My guess is, that Intel saw the danger of Windows RT and offered Cherrytrail SoCs for an unbeatable low price. And stupid Microsoft fell into the trap.

Microsoft should have released a Surface RT 3, with Pen Support... and made the price $250... Wow what I would do for a device like that...

There were no need to lower the price. Many are willing to pay 500$ for a premium device, which fits their needs. It makes no sense for Microsoft to compete against their partners in the low-price segment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes