Surface 2 Alowing Down

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Ever since the last update, I find that my S2 is much slower when opening apps, especially if they connect to the internet, e.g. news apps and even Microsoft Solitaire. Is anyone else seeing this?

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I'm going to change my answer. I didn't think about it before, but apps like Microsoft weather basically stopped working. The live tile was blank and if I clicked on it I would just get the spinning ring. I fixed it by removing and installing the weather channel app. Also the Facebook app no longer provides updates on live tile and opening does appear to take longer.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Soon it will be nothing but a Microsoft paper weight with a attachable keyboard!
Depends on what you do with it. I use mine primarily for e-books via the Nook and Kindle apps, web browsing, email, and some office work. For all that the Surface 2, even without Microsoft is still a good device. Now with that said I am looking at upgrading to the Surface 3 in the hopes that it can replace my work laptop when traveling.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Depends on what you do with it. I use mine primarily for e-books via the Nook and Kindle apps, web browsing, email, and some office work. For all that the Surface 2, even without Microsoft is still a good device. Now with that said I am looking at upgrading to the Surface 3 in the hopes that it can replace my work laptop when traveling.

Yes, I have had a Surface 2 since it's launch, I know exactly what it is capable of. Once I started re-using an iPad I realized how awkward the Surface 2 is for reading ebooks, and how slow it is for web browsing. Page back and wait for 5 minutes for the page to reload. Sure, you can do light office work on it. I have other devices that offer a better experience for that. Other then that, it's pretty much worthless now. I guess you could make it a dedicated mp3 player for your office or something.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
So is there a solution to make it less laggy? I have 14GB free space so don't think that is the issue. Web browsing and loading pages is so annoying. Doubtful I would buy another windows tab or laptop either with this possible end result. A hard reset back to factory specs fixed it for awhile the last time, but was short lived so hardly worth it IMO.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
If your talking about lag in web pages, I've seen some reference to a modified host file in the Surface 3 forum which would appear to help this, and I would think may be something that can be done on Windows RT ad well.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
1. Open up the desktop version of ie and in internet options, security tab, custom level, disable the allow meta refresh. Apply the change.

2. Close the desktop version of ie.

3. Start up and then fully closemetro ie by slowing dragging off the bottom of the screen.

Metro ie will now reload pages from the cache rather than reloading the page anew when swiping back.

I found that here;
Slow to go back in IE10 in Win8 RT on Surface - Microsoft Community

it seems faster to me, or can use desktop ie.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb