Who is getting the new Surface 3?

Chukk

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Got the 128gb version. It's awesome. Sound is way better than Surface RT and Surface 2. 3 position kickstand is sweet. I never used my RT with the keyboard so in a pinch I will use it on my Surface 3. This product is a winner. Any complaints about price, compare it to an iPad. The iPad is a toy. It always has been. Got Torrex pro for free a few days ago. I don't play games, just browse email and surf and read newsreels print and use office, perfect.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if Best Buy still has the trade in deal and for how much? Or what is the best trade in deal currently? I'm debating what to do with my Surface 2.

The trade up deal at Best Buy is through the 16th, I believe. You get a $50 coupon towards a Surface 3 plus whatever the trade-in value of your current Surface. My Surface RT 64GB had a $78 trade-in value. I held onto my Surface 2, so not sure what the value is for it. But you can check on the Best Buy website, there is a link at the bottom to check your trade-in value.

Dionisis

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Honestly I can't see why the price tags are sooooo irrelevant between US and EU.
In Microsoft's FR store even with the student's discount you get the Surface 3 for 539? which translates to 714.98$.That's for the basic 2GB/64GB model.
With a pen and a Type Cover it goes up to 718,19? -->952$ and that is with a 10% student discount in the FR site...
Is their currency converter broken or something??
I mean I can get two T300 Asus Transformer books in that price and I get an Intel-M processor and 4GB or RAM I think.... Honestly... Why???
With the same money I can even ride a plane, go buy a Surface in the US and return back home and get wasted at a pub......

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I can't see why the price tags are sooooo irrelevant between US and EU.
In Microsoft's FR store even with the student's discount you get the Surface 3 for 539? which translates to 714.98$.That's for the basic 2GB/64GB model.
With a pen and a Type Cover it goes up to 718,19? -->952$ and that is with a 10% student discount in the FR site...
Is their currency converter broken or something??
I mean I can get two T300 Asus Transformer books in that price and I get an Intel-M processor and 4GB or RAM I think.... Honestly... Why???
With the same money I can even ride a plane, go buy a Surface in the US and return back home and get wasted at a pub......

You can thank the EU for that ;) the VAT doesn't exist in North America but it does in Europe and other countries outside of Europe and is applied to the pricing of almost any item sold in Europe. The VAT depends by country in Europe but it's a minimum 15% tax.

Which is why when comparing prices to US value it's always on par almost, in terms on numbers anyway, but the way I understand is that the Surface 3 is on par with the Canadian dollar which is 539$ before taxes. Of course it's an interesting comparison from the T300 and the Surface 3, besides the CPU in which the Atom X7 technically is faster than the Core M, there's the style of the Surface 3, the kickstand and Office bundled in. Of course they say "free" Office but really it's just an added price onto the Surface to make it more appealing.

Dionisis

May 7, 2015
Visit site
The stylus is the only reason why I consider buying the Surface. Yes the quality is way better and stuff, but the keyboard on the Asus serves me well in means of positioning and the Core M has faster read/write to memory (ssd). I currently have the basic T100A model and is doing pretty well.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't seem to find the link for the trade in offer at Best Buy. Anyone have a link to the page?

I don't think I ever found a web page that describes the offer. I traded in my Surface RT 64 at Best Buy and received $78 for it. As part of the trade-in, a coupon printed during the transaction that gave a $50 discount toward the Surface 3. So essentially, I got a total of $128 off the Surface 3. It was a great deal to get that much money for the original Surface RT.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Surface 3 4GB/128GB at the Microsoft Store! Exchanged my Surface 2 which got me $150 credit. Will miss the machine but time marches on. Also picked up the red pen. Would've preferred a different color than red but they only had red, black, and standard. Also got a 10% education discount off the machine and the pen which is the reason I got the red pen.

Right now, installing and updating! Woohoo! It's not even close to the speed of my Surface Pro 2, but it'll work for when I don't need the horsepower of the SP2.

Type Cover 2 works great on it. You can't even tell that it's the wrong side when the keyboard is laying flat unless you really look closely. But when you close it, it's a smidge too long and too narrow, leaving overlap in one direction and black bezel in the other direction.

arakis

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone speak to the Surface 3's ability to handle HBO Now and/or CBS All Access streaming ? I have a less powerful Winbook TW700 with 1GB RAM and an Atom Z3735G that can't really keep up with either. Tried to stream HBO Now on a Surface 3 in Best Buy and it seemed to have the same issues with going full screen and stuttering video. Definitely feeling the Surface 3 and may get one for birthday/father's day, but I wanted to see if I could get a first hand account from someone who has one now. Thanks.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I am not a Surface 2 or Surface RT owner anymore but (personally) I think they should be offering those owners a discount or rebate on a trade in to foster relations. They have essentially been left out in the cold regarding Windows 10. Beyond that, although I am currently buying mobile devices for my office, this will still not be on the list in spite of the nice specs. The price point is simply too high. Long and short of it is Microsoft is still on the wrong side of the pricing curve by a pretty wide margin given what you can buy in the 10 inch range from Dell, Toshiba, and Lenovo. .

So you are free to buy any machine you want. When you make a product that you feel has a good balance of features, you can charge what you want. You don't need a machine to be everything to everyone. MacBooks are the most expensive machines out there. There are machines out there that are faster, cheaper, lighter, etc. But people still get the MacBook because of the overall package. If you don't think the surface 3 is a good package there are plenty of options out there.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I probably should've asked this earlier, but how much free space does the 64gb model come with out of the box? That'll help me decide which model to get.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
One thing people should keep in mind is to do a disk cleanup after updates. There are always leftover remnants from updating. We got a hp stream 13 that had 32 GB. After recovery partition it was 21 GB. After some apps and windows updates it went all the way down to 9 GB. But after running disk cleanup multiple times it went back up to 14 GB.

arakis

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't resist and got one late last week, so I can provide a little more info from my limited personal testing of the 4/128GB model. The streaming services show little gain over the older Atom tablet. HBO and CBS were slightly better with CBS probably having shown the greater improvement. Both of them are still a little jerky, but this could be something to do with the GPU performance and Adobe Flash. Netflix was always pretty good, so maybe the other providers will eventually release Universal Apps which I can only guess would work better than Adobe Flash in the browser. HBO Now has always had a problem with IE on touch systems, so I will share my workaround here too in case you are interested. It is possible to get the service to work with IE, but you have to use the Desktop version and hack the "Touch;" token off of the useragent string. I won't butcher the steps here, so just search for "IE 11 change useragent string".

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Had one a few weeks. For me a S2 "replacement". Fine for that purpose. Beyond that...ie. running Window programs I need (Wavelab 8)... failure.. Perhaps a Wavelab problem but...My expectations...disappointment. Time to return.

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I can report that the June Firmware Update today fixed both issues I was having (with my Wavelab software and ejecting an external SSD) and the audio quality is much improved. Nice work MS. Just in time to ... keep the S3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro