Who is getting the new Surface 3?

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I calculated that this will cost me $640 with the type cover and an additional 10% student discount. I will definitely get this, but not during launch; maybe during holiday season for sure. I think MS got this tablet right this time around. Having able to run full Windows apps/exes on this thing is the best selling point. And it's helping better that SP3 has gotten a wave of great reception, and even made $1b+ in revenues for a consecutive quarter in a row. My only grip is the 3-point kickstand. But then again, I will probably use this more as a tablet/iPad rather than a netbook because I have my laptop for these tasks.

Who is getting this?

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I am seriously considering upgrading my Surface 2. I do have a few things that I need to understand though before I drop $600 on the 3.

I would hate to have to buy another type cover, so I would like to find out if the old type cover will work on the Surface 3. I've read that it will, but it is a bit small. I'm not sure how well it will fit on the Surface 3.

I am also curious about how much faster the Surface 3 is from the Surface 2. Will browsing be noticeably smoother? I would definitely go for the 4 gb version because I think the added RAM will help with the performance - especially when multitasking.

I'm actually OK with only the 3 point kick stand. I am used to the Surface 2's 2 position, so 3 will be a minor improvement.

I may just wait until the summer to see how well they are received and how well they sell. But overall, I am pretty excited about the possibility of upgrading.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The price point is definitely getting closer to making this a no-brainer. But it's not an impulse buy, certainly with the SSD size increase and memory upgrade that I'd want. Add on the better tactile keyboard, and it's still a bit pricey. However I will need a new laptop before the end of the year, I'll likely make the move to the Surface 3.

chrisinvermont

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Ordering tonight. Wife and I have had the SP3 since launch and I've been waiting for a 10" version to replace my OG Ipad. Looking forward to getting more than 2 years out of a unit before it's abandoned by the manufacturer. Ipad is 3 years old and all i can do is read on it. Safari crashes all the time and apps that I use can't be updated. Microsoft FTW!

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Not me and not yet. I just got my Surface 2 for $300 and a Type Cover 2 for $50 during Black Friday sale 2014. Sure I should have waited but I really don't need full Windows for anything yet and this was my first tablet purchase. I wanted it for some upcoming trips so I could store/view photos, videos, music, Web browsing etc.

Holding out until I know what the update for RT will be later this year. Hope it will get some of the features of Win 10. But won't be too disappointed if it doesn't. It's still a great little device.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
As a Surface and Surface 2 owner, this will be the first generation I skip. I am pretty disappointed in this as it will not have USB Type-C or a depth sensing camera for Windows Hello in Windows 10. I think this device suffers from poor timing and doesn't really have a place. It's a Windows 8.1 tablet, but with Windows 10 only a couple of months away, there is no appeal here. I like the physical device and the form factor, 10" is the best size for me. Just sad it is a device from the past, especially considering it isn't even releasing until May. Microsoft could and should have done better on this round.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I just sold my SP3 yesterday on swappa and shipped it today. Already ordered a Dell Venue 10 Pro with keyboard and stylus which will be delivered tomorrow but that's all going back. I'll be preordering the 4GB/128 SSD version and personally I don't see why there are so many complaining about price. It will have the top of the range Cherry Trail atom chip which has better GPU performance than today's Bay Trail which will bring better performance; 4GB/128GB combo, which will be good enough for any tablet user; and it'll have the signature Surface features - excellent build quality and a kickstand.

And best of all, no Windows 10, which I find completely underwhelming at this point. Worth every penny if you ask me. Biggest problem I have now is having to use a Dell Venue 8 Pro for over a month, that's going to be tough! :eck:

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I just sold my S2 and am planning to get the SP4. This S3 doesn't really change my mind: the atom will work fine, but $500 for a 2GB version of the tablet... nah, not for me. Also, the pen isn't included. If I add tablet+keyboard+pen that's $680. I'd rather spend $100 more for a SP3 or 4 and the keyboard, as that still gets you 4GB ram with a better cpu and the pen included.

I get that this S3 will be great for many... but I've been saving for many months now and the $250 I made from my S2 will flow directly into paying for my next Surface. I already have $700 so there's no point on getting the small one, I'll wait for SP4 and pay a bit more out of pocket (meaning apart from what I have saved until now). Also, there's no mention on the S3 supporting Windows Hello, so I'm staying away.

Xavier2508

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I was very interested until I saw the pricing here in Belgium, € 599 for the base version, 719 for the 4Gb one, 149 for the keyboard (25 more than the SP3's keyboard!), for those prices I could just as well get an i3 SP3. Guess I'll have to wait and see what the OEM's come up with that has an x5 or x7 in it.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
look at getting it in a month or two (wait for them to throw in a keyboard or pen), then pick it up. Good upgrade for current tablet (Asus Vivotab Smart)

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
My surface 2 is almost 2 yrs old and still working nicely. . . so probably not. besides, I am not buying anything new until after Windows 10 is released.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am not a Surface 2 or Surface RT owner anymore but (personally) I think they should be offering those owners a discount or rebate on a trade in to foster relations. They have essentially been left out in the cold regarding Windows 10. Beyond that, although I am currently buying mobile devices for my office, this will still not be on the list in spite of the nice specs. The price point is simply too high. Long and short of it is Microsoft is still on the wrong side of the pricing curve by a pretty wide margin given what you can buy in the 10 inch range from Dell, Toshiba, and Lenovo. For $429 you can get a 64 GB Dell Venue 10 Pro with keyboard and for not much more (if you sign up as a Dell Advantage member) the 64 GB Venue 11 Pro with a keyboard. The Venue 11 Pro, which my office bought as a test product last year will also match for battery life and has a user replaceable battery. For that matter, you can upgrade a Venue 11 Pro SSD and add a mobile broadband card on the user end. All of the above have proprietary pens as well. Shiny new technology is nice in a Surface 3 but it is still above a justifiable price point and the technology doesn't bring enough to separate it from the other Atom offerings on the market.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I am considering it. I like the LTE option and am looking for a new tablet. I will probably wait until it's been out a while, been burned too many times getting things early only to find out they were a disappointment.

aiya24

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
They have demo units to play with at Microsoft Stores

It's a nice little device, if I didn't have a SP3 then I would consider one. They only had the 2GB/64GB models but they were still snappy, did not feel lag/stutter through the UI. Like it has already been said, these devices are for everyday usage (Internet, media consumption, Office)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I?m going to wait for the Surface 4. According to rumors on the internet its going to be released around October. I live in a mac environment Ipad Air 2, Iphone 6+ and Macbook Air but I also have two Lumias: 1020 and 930 cause I love photgraphy and I like Windows Mobile OS. I get the best of both worlds. I used to work in advertising and thats why I was "forced" to get a mac but was love at first sight and that was back in 2001 but now I work in a meat distribution company and the company use windows PC. I carry both phone: Iphone 6+ and Lumia 930. I wouldnt mind to put my iphone down but I live in Europe and my family lives in Brazil and we all have iphones and we make FaceTime calls everyday with my brother,my mother, my father, my nieces etc.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
They have demo units to play with at Microsoft Stores

It's a nice little device, if I didn't have a SP3 then I would consider one. They only had the 2GB/64GB models but they were still snappy, did not feel lag/stutter through the UI. Like it has already been said, these devices are for everyday usage (Internet, media consumption, Office)

You know how that works. All new machines are "snappy". lol

When I got my Surface 2 I was surprised on how quick and snappy it was. Of course, now, not so much.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3