Trying to Decide?!?

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm stuck trying to see if the S3-4GB will be a good replacement for my wife. She has the Acer Aspire One 722 with the below specs. I'm just wondering if the processing power competes with it for the spreadsheet work she does. The rest of her needs are more casual, hence the lower level specs of her present laptop. She doesn't even use over 70GB of space due to One Drive.

Processor1.0GHz AMD C-50 dual-core
Memory4GB, 1,066 MHz DDR3
Hard drive500GB, 5,400rpm
ChipsetID 1510
GraphicsAMD Radeon HD 6250
Operating systemWindows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Dimensions (WD)11.2x8 inches
Height1 inches
Screen size (diagonal)11.6 inches
System weight / Weight with AC adapter3.0 pounds / 3.4 pounds

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The Surface 3 will be a very nice upgrade from this machine. The best part will be how much faster the S3 boots over that HDD-based system.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. The Surface 3 is an upgrade in every single aspect from her Aspire One. Not only is the processor a vast upgrade but the RAM is faster, the eMMC in the Surface 3 is a lot faster than the 5400RPM hard drive, the graphics are a large step up over the AMD graphics in her netbook, the Surface 3 has a much higher resolution display, the aspect ratio is great for browsing the web and I like it for working in Excel, the battery life is an improvement, it has Bluetooth, the trackpad in the Type Cover will be an improvement over the Acer, the Surface 3 has Pen support, and the Surface 3 is much lighter (it weighs less than half of the Acer) and thinner.

The only thing the Acer has over the Surface 3 is the amount of USB ports. The Surface 3 has one USB 3.0 port (actually two if you buy an adapter) while the Acer has 3. The Acer Aspire One is the very definition of a netbook from 4 years ago. A lot has changed since then and the Surface 3 will outperform her netbook in every single way. The model with 2GB of RAM would even outperform her netbook.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone! I will go with the 4GB model as soon as I can get both the Red pen and keyboard...wife's choices.:smile:

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
You may want to have her take a look at them in-person. My fiance was all set on the black keyboard with the silver Pen until she saw the bright red Type Cover, then she switched to that. I was set on the bright red Type Cover and black Pen until I saw the dark blue Type Cover and blue Pen, I switched to those. I didn't like the bright red Type Cover and the black Pen was boring. Pictures and videos of the Type Covers/Pens don't do them justice.

I recommend you take her down your local Microsoft Store if you have one or at least Best Buy if you already haven't.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I want to thank everyone for your advice. I bought the Surface 3 and Red Type cover today. Unfortunately every Surface 3 in a 50 mile radius has sold out. I ended up having Best Buy to expedite ship it free to my house from their closest warehouse. Wifey freaked out when she saw the keyboard. She can't wait until the delivery truck pulls up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism