Surface 3 kickstand has 6 positions

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The Surface 3 kickstand has 3 positions in regular use. If you turn the unit upside down and rotate the screen accordingly, the kickstand can be used in 3 additional positions. Of course this will not accommodate the Type Cover but you can still use a USB or Bluetooth keyboard.

jschu22

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
7 if you include the failsafe then, although using the first position with the unit upside down results in mind just falling flat.

web1b

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Not really 6 positions because the lowest position, that might have been nice for typing with the on screen keyboard, can't support the weight of the screen.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The lowest position does fall flat but you can place an object between the kickstand and screen to keep it from falling. At any rate there's at least five.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
WHAT You didnt know is that there is actually another one. The portrait stand :)
I've been a surface follower since the beginning and you can actually use it in portrait mode if you do a lot of reading and let it sit at an eye length table.
Now if Microsoft can just redesign the stand to make it slightly chipped off, then it'll be perfect for eye view.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
WHAT You didnt know is that there is actually another one. The portrait stand :)
I've been a surface follower since the beginning and you can actually use it in portrait mode if you do a lot of reading and let it sit at an eye length table.
Now if Microsoft can just redesign the stand to make it slightly chipped off, then it'll be perfect for eye view.

Exactly what I wanted to suggest.

WP_20150525_15_06_58_Pro 1.jpg

This mode is great for me reading e-book/OneNote/Excel (for some very long worksheet). Agree that it would be great if it can stand in portrait mode at some angle (e.g. 70 degree to horizontal).

As I know Microsoft has never advertised such portrait position. Perhaps they think this position looks dangerous - the tablet seems to fall off easily, but in fact it can stand quite firmly.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Exactly what I wanted to suggest.

View attachment 105285

This mode is great for me reading e-book/OneNote/Excel (for some very long worksheet). Agree that it would be great if it can stand in portrait mode at some angle (e.g. 70 degree to horizontal).

As I know Microsoft has never advertised such portrait position. Perhaps they think this position looks dangerous - the tablet seems to fall off easily, but in fact it can stand quite firmly.

One thing though is whether there will be discolouration or some other damage to the tablet after prolonged use in that position since there isn't the softer section like there is on the kickstand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3