Why are my Facebook Notifications are opening in Chrome, rather than in the FB App - need to change this?

DLCPhototography

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Facebook Notifications are opening in Chrome, rather than in the FB App - need to change this!

I have a new Surface 3, 4gb Version, and am also new to Windows 8.1 (all other devices are Windows Vista, 7, or Android).

Was using the Facebook App, and clicked on a notification that showed up at the top right in the app. It gave me a choice of how to open it, and I accidentally chose the wrong option. So now when I tap on a notification, it now takes me to Chrome, rather than opening it up within the FB app itself.

I went to Control Panel...Default Programs... but can't identify the specific file type or protocol that controls this function. I assume it's somewhere there, as I can't find any FB setting that seems to address this.

I went to the same section in Settings for App Defaults, but again couldn't determine which one controlled this behavior.

I uninstalled/reinstalled the Facebook App, rebooted inbetween, but no change in behavior.

Anybody know how I can change this default, and have FB notifications open up in the FB app, rather than in Chrome?

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Facebook Notifications are opening in Chrome, rather than in the FB App - need to change this!

Which kind of notifications redirect you to Chrome? All of them? So far I only have this with birthday notifications. Likes and comment notifications are shown within the app when I tap on them.

Have you checked Settings, App Defaults and then App Default per Protocol? Check this list if all Facebook related protocols are linked to the Facebook app.

DLCPhototography

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Facebook Notifications are opening in Chrome, rather than in the FB App - need to change this!

Which kind of notifications redirect you to Chrome? All of them? So far I only have this with birthday notifications. Likes and comment notifications are shown within the app when I tap on them.

Have you checked Settings, App Defaults and then App Default per Protocol? Check this list if all Facebook related protocols are linked to the Facebook app.

I had checked all of those, and then selected the option to make FB the default for all file types and protocols it's able to handle. Now, most of the notifications open within the FB app, although occasional ones still take me to Chrome. It's unclear what differentiates the one from the other.

If problems continue, I may uninstall/reinstall Chrome, and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

-8-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you remember what options you got how to open a notification? You likely had a choice between just Chrome and IE? I think it's normal for the app to open certain notifications in the browser. I never had an option to choose how to open them because I don't have Chrome installed and therefore it opens some type of the notifications in IE for me. I think the Facebook app is just still limited in showing the diversity of notifications within the app itself.

DLCPhototography

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Do you remember what options you got how to open a notification? You likely had a choice between just Chrome and IE? I think it's normal for the app to open certain notifications in the browser. I never had an option to choose how to open them because I don't have Chrome installed and therefore it opens some type of the notifications in IE for me. I think the Facebook app is just still limited in showing the diversity of notifications within the app itself.

Thanks for the reply.

I wish I recalled exactly which choice it gave me, but I don't. I was making so many choices during the installation process, it is somewhat of a blur. It is quite possible that you're correct, and that it was Chrome vs IE, although when I installed Chrome, I did make it the default browser.

But the fact that your FB app opens up some notifications in IE is extremely useful information. I have been wondering if what I'm seeing is the 'usual' behavior for the FB app, and if the FB app (whose ratings in the Windows Store are not stellar!) is just limited in functionality.

As I said initially, I'm relatively new to Windows 8, but have been involved pretty deeply with tech since my first IBM PS2 in 1989 or so. At this point, I have fairly mixed feelings about what appears to be a somewhat 'schizophrenic' OS - partly traditional Desktop based, with conventional applications, and partly 'metro' with its android-like 'Apps.' I wonder what Windows 10 will bring to the table.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb