Type Cover? Any Generic Ones?

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I got a surface 3 but I did not want to spend $150CDN for the type cover but I am starting to think I am going to need one. Any like 3rd party ones?

I found this on ebay but don't have any clue if it is any good.

I also found open boxes that maybe missing the pen holder(I don't care about that) for $100CDN but still find it expensive.

lookingforward

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't bother with a generic. The typecover is expensive, but it is also high quality. When you feel the product in you hands and put it to daily use, I think you will see why it costs more than typical keyboard docks of yesteryear.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
You'll also have to remember that due to patents the third party keyboard connects to the Surface via Bluetooth, and not the magnetic pins (which also charge it) so you'll also have the inconvenience of having to charge it. If I were you i'd save yourself the hassle and get the official keyboard (you might find a cheap one on EBay)

ng4ever

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
You can get the keyboard cover for $99.99 to $115 now on amazon.com

Though I didn't trust any of the sellers. I just bought mine directly from amazon.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
In all honesty I suspect this is one of those purchases where if you do buy the cheaper option, you'll wonder everyday as you use it what you might be missing out on compared to all those things you hear about happy customers who used the genuine keyboard... and eventually you'll cave in and buy the original thus spending money on not one but two keyboards.

Seriously, the original one is amazing and yes it's expensive relative to other cheaper generic keyboards but there's a reason why. If it lasts time, protects your Surface well and you have a positive experience using it- I'd say that would help justify the premium price. If it makes you feel any better try looking for promotions or deals - e.g. eBay having a 15% off everything sale, using a credit card which offers cash rebates for online spend, etc... and don't forget educational discount if you're a student.

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, Yea I am checking ebay out and found some that are cheaper that are open box(Still around $80-$100 CDN) but they say it is "Surface 3 Pro" I have the "Surface 3" so I don't think I can use any of them.

I can't use Amazon.com as I am Canadian.

Not sure where to get ebay discounts. I will google around but if you know any let me know.

Last edited:

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
You don't really see many eBay discounts per se, almost all of them are tied to a specific promotion (like getting an eBay credit card, getting a PayPal credit card, using the "Pay Later" function, etc.). You are right in thinking that you need a Type Cover specifically for the Surface 3. The Surface Pro 3's Type Cover won't properly fit over the Surface 3 as the keyboard is bigger. Plus, even if you could connect the Type Cover 3 (what the SP3 uses) to a Surface 3 (I haven't seen anyone doing this yet), you lose out on the magnet below the Surface 3's display that's able to hold up the Type Cover at an angle.

It's best just to save your money and buy the official Surface 3 Type Cover. They are more expensive but worth it in the end. Save up your money, stop eating out for a few weeks and it will add up (or stop drinking craft beer, that's my vice).

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
You don't really see many eBay discounts per se, almost all of them are tied to a specific promotion (like getting an eBay credit card, getting a PayPal credit card, using the "Pay Later" function, etc.). You are right in thinking that you need a Type Cover specifically for the Surface 3. The Surface Pro 3's Type Cover won't properly fit over the Surface 3 as the keyboard is bigger. Plus, even if you could connect the Type Cover 3 (what the SP3 uses) to a Surface 3 (I haven't seen anyone doing this yet), you lose out on the magnet below the Surface 3's display that's able to hold up the Type Cover at an angle.

It's best just to save your money and buy the official Surface 3 Type Cover. They are more expensive but worth it in the end. Save up your money, stop eating out for a few weeks and it will add up (or stop drinking craft beer, that's my vice).

I got the money, just hard to spend $170 on a keyboard. Was hoping to get a used one for cheaper but they all seem to be the pro version and not surface 3 version.

red.foxx15

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ive seen the SP3 type cover used on a surface 3 at best buy. It worked but it was also strapped to a table so I don't know the real world results

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Any second generation through third Generation keyboard will work with he surface. Just realize on the official surface 3 keyboard will line up with the surface 3. All other keyboards work perfectly but don't line up.

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
P.S. The Second generation Power Keyboard will only power the Second Gen Surface. Although it will work for a type keyboard on the Surface 3.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I got the money, just hard to spend $170 on a keyboard. Was hoping to get a used one for cheaper but they all seem to be the pro version and not surface 3 version.

I know I'm a little late to this party, but when you're doing your searches, try adding -pro -sp3, so it'll be something like "keyboard surface 3 -pro". Amazon, ebay, google, and lots of other search queries use the "-" to tell it to ignore searches. I found the s3 keyboards for less than 80 by filtering down that way on Amazon :-D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros