Surface 3 LTE not connecting to LTE?

Codeworks

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello, all.

Picked up new Surface 3 LTE yesterday from the Microsoft store. I inserted my SIM that I use both in my iPad and my Kindle Fire HDX and no matter what, the Surface 3 will not enable the LTE service. Upon inserting the SIM, it does say AT&T, however, it never connects.

Anyone had any issues? Something special I need to do?

Thanks.

Paten1

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I just received my Surface 3 w/LTE yesterday and started setting it up last night. When I tried to connect with my T-mobile data sim, it didn't work at first either. When I checked the settings for the T-mobile cellular network, there was no APN setup, so I tried to copy the settings from my Nexus 7 tablet to create one. I then tried to make it connect and it didn't work. After a while I went back and checked the cellular network settings again and now there were 2 APNs for the T-mobile network. The one I created and another one that seemed to appear from nowhere. I deleted the one I created and then tried to reconnect and it worked.

I'm guessing that if you continue to try to manually connect to your cellular network, it will create the correct APN settings from your SIM card and you will eventually connect to AT&T. Hopefully.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had it working and then fail to connect again. Sometimes it requires an hour long visit to AT&T to get it working again.

Now I can't turn my LTE radio on. The option is gone. It was working a few weeks ago. It's the most frustrating piece of hardware I have ever owned.

They keep giving me new Surface 3. I'm on my 4th device. I wish I could just return it for a full refund and get some money on top of it for all the hell it's put me through trying to get it to work.

bostonguy

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had it working and then fail to connect again. Sometimes it requires an hour long visit to AT&T to get it working again.

Now I can't turn my LTE radio on. The option is gone. It was working a few weeks ago. It's the most frustrating piece of hardware I have ever owned.

They keep giving me new Surface 3. I'm on my 4th device. I wish I could just return it for a full refund and get some money on top of it for all the hell it's put me through trying to get it to work.

Similar story here. My LTE version had LTE working when I first set it up, then suddenly it said the "modem was turned off" and of course I could figure no way to turn it on. Since I'm still in the "should I keep this or not" testing phase, I recovered Windows 10 to start fresh. LTE is still not working. Sometimes it says the modem is off, sometimes it says the modem is not there, sometimes it's there, and it's turned on, but it won't connect!

It's really frustrating. I really like this tablet, and want to keep it, but if it's not reliable with LTE it's going back. I'm going to the MS store on Monday to try swapping to a new unit, but I'm doubtful I'll see any difference.

HeavyHanded

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm now on my 6th Surface 3 LTE. This is the first time I have had Broadband Modem issues. The Surface modem doesn't even show up in the Device Manager. I have refreshed the device and removed the SIM multiple times. Sometimes the cellular icon pops up in the Action Center quick settings, but then quick disappears. Do you think I have to send it back yet again?

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I have had mine for about a year now. I actually own 4 of them for my business. AT&T sim 3 of them have worked fine form day one. But the one I personally use on a daily has had quite a few problems connecting via LTE. I would suggest making sure you have all the up to date firmware installed and update the drivers. I have had to reinstall the drivers 4 or 5 times after they magically disappeared?? I was on the Windows Insider fast ring updates for quite some time but because of the stability issues I have gone back to normal Windows updates. Since I have done this it has fixed the drivers issues I was having.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99