Missing Hibernate Function

Pete Sacomano

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
This is much too complex - why edit the registry if you don't have to? If you don't have the hibernate option on your Surface Pro 3 after a fresh install of Windows 10 (quite likely outcome), stay out of the registry and do this instead. Open an elevated command prompt. Then type

powercfg /h /type full

THANK YOU. I had to dig through so much garbage to find this CORRECT solution. I should have known there were extra parms in powercfg.

As a note, sleep may be quicker, but Windows has never been very good with sleep, I see systems wake up by themselves all the time. Imagine what kind of damage that can do to a laptop in a bag. Hibernation ensures the system is entirely powered down and is very quick with a SSD.

Telstar1948

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
The only other advantage of hibernate over a complete shutdown is if you want certain apps/software/work there when you awake your S3, they will be there coming out of hibernation.

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
If you don't have the hibernate option on your Surface Pro 3 after a fresh install of Windows 10 (quite likely outcome), stay out of the registry and do this instead. Open an elevated command prompt. Then type

powercfg /h /type full

(allows only for fast start option).

Thanks this worked like a charm, but I can honestly see why they disabled the function its buggy as hell on Win 10. It saves you maybe 3 seconds from a cold start, but there is one huge issue. If you enable hibernation on accident. Then try to bring your PC back to life the stupid OS won't come back on line. You have to give it time before it will even come back to life. Its a pain in the ***.

I swear Windows 10 is my first love hate relationship with Microsoft. I really feel the should of baked the OS for another year before releasing it. 8.0 wasn't even buggy compare to 10.

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Interesting: On my Surface 3 running Windows 10 Pro, when I get to step 7 in the KB article, there is no 'Sleep' item in the dialog box - just

Desktop background settings
Power buttons and lid
Display
Battery

I may have to play with powercfg...

- rick

PS: I ran 'powercfg /h /type full' and now Hibernate shows in the Power menu, and Sleep shows in the advanced power options dialog. The default is to hibernate after 4 hours of sleep on battery and Never when plugged in.

Too bad there doesn't seem to be a way to query the hibernate-related options.

PPS: It seems that to get Hibernate in the Power menu you have to do two things: change the hibernation type to 'full' with powercfg and enable the option using the Group Policy Editor.

Last edited:

AmazingWorldTub

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
I dont think why it can be an issue, maybe the Windows 10 is stable now but if you cannot find any useful guide, this may help:
Enable Hibernate in Windows 10

Step 1: Right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu. Alternatively, press Windows + X keys to launch Power menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin)

Step 2: In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter: powercfg ?h on

It's very easy to enable Hibernate in Windows 10.
Now you have successfully enable Hibernate in Windows 10.
Note: There is not the Hibernate option in the PCs with with InstantGo.

Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

Step 1: Launch the command prompt as administrator by searching for cmd in search, right-clicking on it and then choosing Run as administrator

Step 2: Type the following command and hit enter to disable Hibernate in Windows 10: powercfg -h off

You can disable Hibernate quickly in Windows 10.
Now you have successfully disable Hibernate in Windows 10.
Note: When you disable Hibernate, fast startup will also get disabled and the Hibernate option will no longer show in the Power menu.

For the original images, please find them in the source post: How to Enable/Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Insider

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos