New Surface 3 Issues

mddeckie

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, I received a new surface 3 for Christmas and have been using it for over a month now and have had some re-occurring issues that I was hoping someone could help explain/solve.
1) Every once in a while my Bluetooth settings disappear and I have to re enable the driver.
2) The sound stops woking and I have to restart the surface to get it to work again.
3) In order to wake my surface from sleep, I have to press cntr alt delete. No other way works. Is that normal?

Everything is up to date and updates are installed. It is running full windows 10 from the box.

Thank you for the help!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, I received a new surface 3 for Christmas and have been using it for over a month now and have had some re-occurring issues that I was hoping someone could help explain/solve.
1) Every once in a while my Bluetooth settings disappear and I have to re enable the driver.
2) The sound stops woking and I have to restart the surface to get it to work again.
3) In order to wake my surface from sleep, I have to press cntr alt delete. No other way works. Is that normal?

Everything is up to date and updates are installed. It is running full windows 10 from the box.

Thank you for the help!

I have the same issue as you for number 1 but for wifi. I've been told to uninstall the wifi (in your case bluetooth) driver and restart. The drivers will install automatically after restarting

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had #2 and some variation of #3. Possibly related, I've had either WiFi or Cellular connection settings totally disappear. A reboot is required to recover fully.

I hope this gets sorted out soon.

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I believe this is a driver firmware issue that needs to be addressed by MS and the wireless card manufacturers. I don't know what components they are using for the internal wireless cards but this seems to be a problem with a number of vendors from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc....

Its stupid but I carry an external USB WiFi adapter with me for any of the windows tablets or ultrabooks I have because of this exact same problem. I'm not sure if its because all of the systems seem to be loaded with MS's generic driver or some other issue, but it needs to be fixed. Who wants to have to reboot their system in the middle of work all the time or in the middle of streaming a movie only to have to start from the beginning again after the reboot. I have not once had a problem with connecting my USB WiFi adapter. I just think the combo adapter (WiFi/Bluetooth) they use in these systems are garbage.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I decided to do a full factory reset reinstall of my Surface 3. I'm on Win 8.1 Pro. When I set things up I first turned off any automatic updating. After getting logged in I ran a check for updates. The only firmware update in the list was the January update. I unchecked all updates except for the firmware update. I installed the firmware update and made sure everything was working fine and then I installed the other updates. So far today it has been working reasonably well. Definitely better than it was before. Hopefully it will stay stable. It might be worth a full refresh like I did, starting with the firmware update.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
As Gizmo stated above, these are the symptoms of a botched firmware. You can try to refresh, then reset and as a last resort (which I had to go to) you may have to re-image the entire drive. Don't bother with the million other things you could tinker with, as they simply won't work, including going to the Microsoft store or sending it in for repair.

mddeckie

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Iv recieved a few updates and the past week it has been working better with no issues so far. Lets hope the updates fixed the issues!!

teng_m

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
my left speaker just suddenly died!. and I just had the surface for 2 weeks. and i can't claim warranty since i bought the unit in amazon US

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12