04-22-2017 06:19 PM
43 12
tools
    Well, how about it? What do you think is the best feature of the Surface Book? I'm having a bit of trouble deciding myself, but after I give it a bit more thought, I'll try to figure it out and post back with it.

If you can't settle for one feature, tell us your top 3 or top 5!

I guess #1: It detaches! That's the biggest shocker of all. Microsoft had some sort of HoloLens secrecy going on with this product.
    10-06-2015 12:29 PM
    To be honest it has to be a mix of things. If I had to say in the top three it would be a combination of these in no particular order.

1)Weight
    2)Thickness
    3)Performance

The book is LIGHTER than the SP4 the SP3 and still has better performance It may be slightly thicker in some aspects, but to have that capability is insane.

Even Apples MBP looks like old tech cause of this.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-06-2015 01:06 PM
    Discrete graphics card.

I'm a 3D artist who loves my Surface Pro 3. But one thing I wish it had was a discrete graphics card so that I could create content while on "vacation".
    10-06-2015 01:11 PM
    As an ex Industrial Designer, the Book pretty much satisfied all my needs:
    1. Pressure sensitive pen (for sketching concepts): Checked
    2. Discrete Graphics (for Solidworks, possibly Keyshot): Checked
    3. Battery Life: Checked
    4. Versatility: Checked

Conclusion: I may sell my Spectre x360! lol
    surfacefanboi likes this.
    10-06-2015 01:29 PM
    The book is LIGHTER than the SP4 the SP3 and still has better performance It may be slightly thicker in some aspects, but to have that capability is insane.
    I wouldn't say that that's insane, as the Surface Book has the benefit of being able to split the components into to two pieces of hardware. The USB ports, display port & GPU are all in the keyboard base, so it makes it easier to be lighter when undocked, whereas everything has to be crammed into the display on the Surface Pro models.
    10-06-2015 01:50 PM
    The detachability. It's pretty much a surface pro 4 once you detach it. And then becomes a pretty powerful laptop with the keyboard
    10-06-2015 04:05 PM
    I need to reserve judgment until I find out what the battery life is with and without the keyboard attached. I heard that attached to the keyboard it is 12 hours, but detached it is only 4.

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/microso...ate-hybrid-pc/

only 3 hours in tablet mode... ouch.
    Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 10-06-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    10-06-2015 04:22 PM
    The only reason why I'm not buying it its because there is no USB on screen. Everything else is perfect.

Also I would love to see an option where we can detach the screen and "glue" it to keyboard. SO its as thin as it gets so that I can travel - airports etc etc... Space is precious !
    10-06-2015 04:33 PM
    The design. It reminds me of Ikea business furniture, especially the hinge. Premium yet well built and ready to do actual work. Microsoft's designers are doing the business, apart from the bland Lumia 950.
    someone2639 likes this.
    10-06-2015 04:35 PM
    To be honest it has to be a mix of things. If I had to say in the top three it would be a combination of these in no particular order.

1)Weight
    2)Thickness
    3)Performance

Even Apples MBP looks like old tech cause of this.
    I'd agree with this and add in the screen and Windows 10. This isn't idle speculation on my part. I just pre-ordered one (the most sophisticated one that is actually available for pre-order - none of the really high end models are available yet).

<TED>
    10-06-2015 05:31 PM
    I waited the upgrade of my SP2 to SP3 in eager anticipation of this launch. I don't know... I love the idea of the Surface Book - but, can't see myself buying it without the stand. I know that is so silly to most people, but I often have my SP2 out for tablet only or on an airplane when laptops are put away I can still use it. Would have been ideal for me to have a Sp4 with the bottom of the Surface Book as an optional accessory for battery, GPU and full work vs the Type Cover. I think I'm on the fence until I play with both new devices in stores. Maybe there will be a SP4s, hah.
    10-06-2015 06:20 PM
    dGPU and the penabled detaching screen. I'm a decent gamer and wannabe hobbyist digital artist, it's so nice that they fit everything into one single device. I mean, you can't draw on the screen with MBP unless you have a Cintiq which costs same as as an SP4. Sure, it's more professional but the portability is close to none. I've said it everywhere and I'll keep saying it, this is the perfect device for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-08-2015 03:44 AM
    Build quality/craftsmanship. I tried it in-person, and this device makes every other tablet/laptop you've ever used feel like a cheap toy.
    CygnusOrion likes this.
    10-09-2015 03:01 AM
    Build quality/craftsmanship. I tried it in-person, and this device makes every other tablet/laptop you've ever used feel like a cheap toy.
    Agreed, for the first time Windows users have a laptop that is of a build quality that is not inferior to a Mac. I've been buying Macs for a lot of years and installing Windows for that reason. Going forward I might not need to do that anymore, especially if MS steps up and makes an all in one to rival the iMac.
    10-10-2015 02:41 PM
    Easily that curve. It tempts me.
    10-10-2015 03:00 PM
    The combination of power and design, really.
    This is the first time I am using a Windows laptop that is extremely powerful AND looks amazing. Love at first start. :)
    libra89 likes this.
    10-26-2015 01:41 PM
    Now that I have mine and have some experience with it, the detachable screen...

<TED>
    10-27-2015 12:56 PM
    Charging cable. Small feature, yes. If you want to replace even wall outlet part of cable, you have to shell out $60. With Surface Book, you can replace it with any laptop power cable made in the last 10 years and still have the same result. While Surface Book's wall outlet part of cable is very short, Microsoft made it easy for us by allowing us to use our old extra-long cables we have laying around.
    hopmedic likes this.
    10-28-2015 09:44 PM
    1. Screen
    2. Clipboard
    3. Key lard.
    4. Speed.
    10-29-2015 06:41 PM
    Charging cable. Small feature, yes. If you want to replace even wall outlet part of cable, you have to shell out $60. With Surface Book, you can replace it with any laptop power cable made in the last 10 years and still have the same result. While Surface Book's wall outlet part of cable is very short, Microsoft made it easy for us by allowing us to use our old extra-long cables we have laying around.
    Really?

The power cable for my Elitebook 2730p is quite long - maybe I'll use that instead when I'm travelling. :)
    10-30-2015 03:25 AM
    Really?

The power cable for my Elitebook 2730p is quite long - maybe I'll use that instead when I'm travelling. :)
    Only the wall outlet part. Not the power brick part.
    10-30-2015 11:30 AM
    The display, it is truly awesome. I am not much up on current display tech specs, but I watched Gotham on Netflix last night, and was really amazed. The blacks and shadows stay dead black, even with brightness all the way up. Gotham is shot with some artistic flair, and looked amazing on this screen. When half of someone's face was lit, and the other half in shadow, the contrast between the two was really great; bright skin tones to utter darkness, not grey. Color reproduction, and lack of any pixel presence, is top notch, too. This is an amazing panel!
    10-30-2015 12:59 PM
    I might have gotten one from a 'good' batch though these are my favourite things about the Surface Book so far:

1. The screen, oh my god the screen...The display on this thing is just absolutely gorgeous. I literally smile when I open this computer and I had to do a few double takes the first time I opened it up. I'm very impressed by it. The screen wobble for me is very minimal and nothing I didn't expect; the touch capabilities of this are awesome as well, really accurate and responsive.

2. Windows Hello. This was a bit tedious to setup at first, though only because I had no internet and the whole 'pin' thing. However, once it was working, it was working FAST. I mean, faster than typing fast. I sit down and it recognises my face and logs me in in under 2 seconds. Awesome!

3. The pen. I know, I know, a lot of people will say this and some may say "meh". But honestly, using the pen is nice and works the way it should. I've used Cortana with it and have written some notes already with it, it's just...good.

Obviously there are other things, like the keyboard, however so far these are my favourite things. I have to say I'm a firm believer in using the devices the way they advertise them and the way they sort of, "want you to" ? You know, trying to integrate the pen and Cortana etc...To the point where, I just use them all the time anyway. One of my biggest examples I tell people is with Cortana and here is why: I don't use anything else. I don't open the start menu, I don't search for programs or files, I only use Cortana. Okay, sure, I look for pictures and things in the explorer, but that's rare. I love embracing new features and technology and really encourage people to do the same until it becomes a regular, second nature thing, because its really useful!
    11-02-2015 11:37 PM
    1. Battery life, I now hardly ever have to even check if my laptop will last throughout the day. Kudos to Microsoft on that.

2. One thing that is really important to me is the keyboard. It is an absolute joy to type on this thing. They weren't joking that this was the best keyboard laptop ever.

3. Windows Hello. If people think this was a gimmick.....so did I at first. But I can't tell you enough that it is so great not having to press anything and it automatically unlocks.
    11-03-2015 01:02 AM
    definitely the pen and writing/drawing experience for me. Although I wish there was a way to use the keyboard while the screen was flat.
    11-03-2015 06:29 PM
43 12