i5 Book vs i7 SP4

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the i7 SP4 with type cover is closely matched in price spec wise to the i5 Book. How much better would the i7 be? I've never actually had an i7 system. Always had i5 devices but I do really heavy multitasking with software development work.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, the GPU is an extra $100. Which doesn't sound bad as far as GPUs go. But that's not something the pro has either.

I've run 2 additional external monitors on my Surface 3 so far and the results didn't seem bad. But I've heard of occasional multi-display issues on the pro.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
sorry to reenter this late....

I'm curious as to gaming performance of the i7 SP4 vs the i5 SB + GPU. DOes the GPU make a big difference in graphics performance? I do some Steam gaming on my SP4.

THanks.

DQuiLon

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
sorry to reenter this late....

I'm curious as to gaming performance of the i7 SP4 vs the i5 SB + GPU. DOes the GPU make a big difference in graphics performance? I do some Steam gaming on my SP4.

THanks.

In my opinion, the dGPU will make a big difference for games that take advantage of it (most)... But the biggest PLUS for me and my logic is that the 2 biggest heat sources are very far apart in the Surface Book, while on the Pro they are together, and this will cause a bigger damage to the battery life.

EpicNova

May 18, 2017
Visit site
It depends off course, the i5's are capable of processing the heavy stuff like Adobe software. If you need to do a lot of 3D work with Autodesk's software for example I recommend the i7's.

Off-topic: Inside the Surface Book, is it possible to change the GPU or Videochip? Or are they glued to the motherboard?
I would like to know because after 2 years or something, can customize a little (keep it up-to-date)

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I don't think you can mod anything on the book or pro. I have heard people modifying their surface studios though.

DQuiLon

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I don't think you can mod anything on the book or pro. I have heard people modifying their surface studios though.

you are correct, but you could technically improve the Surface Book GPU performance by upgrading only the keyboard portion... It is still not sold officially but I am sure there will be ways to do so...

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
you are correct, but you could technically improve the Surface Book GPU performance by upgrading only the keyboard portion... It is still not sold officially but I am sure there will be ways to do so...

I'd like to see someone clip a dGPU base to one that came without it and see if it automatically updates the drivers and works properly.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
The GPU is located in the base of the SB and if you open it you may not get it back together. Face it the convertibles and 2-in-1's of today are very limited in the ability to change out components. About the only one left that can do that are gaming machines and a lot of them you can't. The SB with the DGPU is Nvidia in the base and has the Intel graphics integrated into the Intel Processor. Nvidia has a control panel that allows you to set the default GP to use with the apps. One issue is if you are using an app and it's using DGPU and you disconnect the clipboard you will have to close that app because the DGPU is in the base.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
"It depends off course," - But we need to stay on course.

'IF' the Surface Book had the dedicated gpu then I'd go for the Surface Book i5. If, however, it doesn't then the i7 on the sp4 will afford you better graphical performance over the i5 on the SB. Not a great deal but it's there.

The i5 vs i7... not that much in it to be honest. Sure, yes, there is a difference but there's other things at play here. Slightly bigger screen (SB) compared to the Surface pro 4. Will you be okay with the Surface Pro on your lap? (I am)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon