Are you planning to get a Surface Book?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So this is the device that Microsoft want to reinvent a category - do you buy into this vision? Do you want one? Have you already pre-ordered one? Sound off below!

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I are going to the store tomorrow to see the demos, but we've already decided to upgrade our SP3s to SP4s. We both fell out of our chairs when we saw the display separate in the second Surface Book video, and we really want it, but... tablet is just as important to us as laptop, and 3 hours battery life (surely less in the real world) with the display separated just won't cut it. I figure by the second or third generation they'll have more battery in the display and it'll be a no-brainer then. Maybe it will even have a kickstand.

Bigcountryed

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I got a change to play with one at my local microsoft store. As for the 3 / 4 hour battery life it's not an huge issue to me. Because I envision docking the clipboard backward if I need to charge it up. Something else I notice was how deceptively light it was when being held. Even with the clipboard rotated backwards, I found it extremely easy and comfortable to hold. This is just my initial first impressions from the store. But I did immediately pre-order the i7, 512 GB, with the discrete graphics chip. So we'll see how it plays out!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I are going to the store tomorrow to see the demos, but we've already decided to upgrade our SP3s to SP4s. We both fell out of our chairs when we saw the display separate in the second Surface Book video, and we really want it, but... tablet is just as important to us as laptop, and 3 hours battery life (surely less in the real world) with the display separated just won't cut it. I figure by the second or third generation they'll have more battery in the display and it'll be a no-brainer then. Maybe it will even have a kickstand.

Yeah.... I totally hear you on this one...

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
My concern about the book is that annoying wobble on the screen part, when typing, but I need to get my hands on one fast. I'm all over the sp4 though, ordered three as business upgrades; the sp line have distinguished themselves and now without that many compromised, great battery, great typing (stiffer than the dp3 kb with bigger and better keys AND I can use the kb on our existing sp3s is fantastic) and updated specs and pen. I imagine any deficiency the book has will be gone in an iteration of two - it took three for the sp line after all ;)

sberti

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm in Canada and the prices are significantly higher, so I said "No, I won't order one."

I held out for about a week and finally gave in. I ordered the i5 256 ($2,199 CAD).
Then 3 days after that, I cancelled my order and ordered the i5 256 dGPU ($2,449 CAD).
(My i5 SP3 is faster than my newer Asus i7 laptop so I don't think I need the i7. I assume it's because of the SSD.)

BUT I should have made my final order right at the start because, while the i5 256 said it would ship on Oct 26, by the time I ordered the i5 256 dGPU, it says it will ship in 7-8 weeks.

Waiting is hard!

Jugler

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I went to the store to see the Surface Book and loved it.

But here is the deal, I have a Surface Pro 3, i5 8GB 256GB, which works more than great.

So I would like at least the same specs on the Surface Book..but with GPU cause reasons, so looking at the $1899 model...

Since realistically only use one device thought of trading my SP3, sadly BestBuy only gives me around $450 for it...

So even with SP3 tradein ($450), tablet trade-in ($100), old macbook trade-in ($150), and a BestBuy coupon for 10%, looking at $1000 (+tax) for upgrading...

Seems a lot of money for upgrading... considering my SP3 is just one year old and I'll be getting the same specs plus the GPU.

any thoughts?

(will most likely do it... just trying to rationalize my decision...)

Last edited:

Telstar1948

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
It appears you're getting a faster processor and PCIe SSD on the SB than on the SP3. I have an SP3 that does a good job in general, but the i5/8/256/dGPU SB looks really tempting!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss