Surface Book or XPS 13?

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I am currently torn between getting a Surface Book, or sticking with my XPS 13 laptop. The XPS 13 is the Core i5-5200U model with 8GB of RAM, 256GB storage, & qhd+ touchscreen. What makes this especially difficult is that I just bought the XPS a couple weeks ago and am still within the return window if I choose to.

The XPS is a really nice machine, and I love its portability. That said, there are times I wish I could convert it into a tablet. That, or at the least have a display that supported pen input (which of course, Surface Book can do).

While I could get a separate tablet, does it make sense to do so just for the times I'd want a device with that form factor (and pen input) when the laptop I have is not that much bigger than a Surface 3? Would it be easier to just consolidate both into a package a bit bigger and a bit heavier?

Augmenting my laptop with a Surface 3 tablet would be about as expensive as going with the Surface Book with discrete GPU, so technically I'd save a bit by going with the Surface Book model I'm considering.

If you saw both machines sitting side by side, what would you do? What would you think about before going with one or the other?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

MetalxAssassinx

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
If I were you I would get the book. Even though it is a bit larger than the XPS 13, it does have an excellent keyboard, trackpad, more functions with its hinge, bit larger screen, supporting a nividia gpu, and it also has the latest and greatest skylake processor.

However, nobody got his or her own hands on it for more than a day, we really cannot know if there are other problems we do not know about. If you feel comfortable and loving your laptop the way it is, you shouldn't return it, but if you feel that you would rather want the surface for any of the reasons above reasonably, then return.

Good luck! I am confused between the surface book and the new XPS 15 :(.

Kalyan Chowdary

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Same here :-( confused between xps 13 and book. I'm technical student and need to run designing softwares. Nastran FX and Ansys. And start up time is also important to me.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Just played around with a Surface Book at my local Microsoft store, and it's definitely the route I'm going.

The tablet portion is surprisingly light for a 13.5" screen, and while the base is a bit heavier, the combined weight isn't too bad at all (about on-par with my old HP Elitebook 2730p Tablet PC if not lighter).

In terms of removing the display from the keyboard dock, it does require a bit of force (after pressing the button of course), but I certainly don't mind that! For re-attaching it, magnets guide you very easily.

I luckily pre-ordered it last week, as the rep told me all pre-orders at my store are now sold out. Can't wait until the 26th to grab it!

Katokatokato

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Surface Book. The trackpad on the XPS 13 is not good.

They completely redid the trackpad on the new dell xps 13 that will be in Microsoft stores on the 26th of October according to its website (and you can already order them off of dells website).

Stick with your xps 13 OP - or better yet, return it and get the new model in a couple days. I played around with the Surface Book at my local MS store... It's a chunky beast. Because of the hinge mechanism, the laptop is incredibly deep - whatever bag you're transporting your xps around in - the Book won't fit in it.

If I were you I'd just get a quality tablet on the side that retains the form factor you're used to by now - get a surface 3 or an iPad Air 2. The book is horribly overpriced for what it is.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Well, to be fair, I've been transporting my XPS in a fairly big shoulder bag I got from Intel several years ago (it's big enough to transport my XBox One, honestly).

I'd honestly find it hard to justify a tablet when the XPS is as small as it is. During my brief hands-on with the Surface Book, I didn't seem to mind the size much, so even if I get a different bag to carry it in, I shouldn't have an issue.

Yeah, the Surface Book is pricey, but considering I'd be paying at least the same for the new XPS + a decent tablet, I'd rather just get one machine that can work as both. Of course I'll fully decide when I walk into the Microsoft Store on Monday, but so far I'm leaning more towards the Surface Book.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I am currently torn between getting a Surface Book, or sticking with my XPS 13 laptop. The XPS 13 is the Core i5-5200U model with 8GB of RAM, 256GB storage, & qhd+ touchscreen. What makes this especially difficult is that I just bought the XPS a couple weeks ago and am still within the return window if I choose to.

The XPS is a really nice machine, and I love its portability. That said, there are times I wish I could convert it into a tablet. That, or at the least have a display that supported pen input (which of course, Surface Book can do).

While I could get a separate tablet, does it make sense to do so just for the times I'd want a device with that form factor (and pen input) when the laptop I have is not that much bigger than a Surface 3? Would it be easier to just consolidate both into a package a bit bigger and a bit heavier?

Augmenting my laptop with a Surface 3 tablet would be about as expensive as going with the Surface Book with discrete GPU, so technically I'd save a bit by going with the Surface Book model I'm considering.

If you saw both machines sitting side by side, what would you do? What would you think about before going with one or the other?

Obviously you know your needs/wants better than anyone, but since you asked for opinions....

I have a variety of tablets, notebooks, and smartphones, but my current day-to-day mobile gear consists of 11" Macbook Air, iPad Air 2, and Sharp Aquos Crystal smartphone.

I've been looking into getting another Windows-based system (since my less than 1 yr old Acer Aspire Switch 11 died) and have been seriously considering a Dell XPS 13. It is the only one that rises to the level of quality and user experience that I'm accustomed to with the Macbook Air... and the only one I would consider replacing the MBA with.

I am thoroughly enjoying my Surface 2 but it (and my Acer experience) has shown me how inferior Windows is as an OS for tablets. I'm referring specifically to the touch-optimized user experience of Modern UI apps (not running desktop apps) I share this to explain why the Surface Book/Pro is not appealing to me from a tablet usage perspective.

Although I like the Surface Book, it isn't perfect. The hinge-gap is clearly a 1st gen issue that will be addressed with the next gen. analogous to the single angle of the first Surface tablets' kickstand. Just as the kickstand matured to provide additional and then variable angles, the hinge-gap of the Surface Book will be eliminated in future gens.

So if I were in your shoes (and in many respects, I am)... I would stick with the Dell XPS 13, enjoy it, and wait and watch the Surface Book as it matures. Then when it does, reconsider the Surface Book.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism