Surface Book apparently not completely shutting down

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I had my book 100% charged this morning. I brought it into work, turned it on (to show off Windows Hello), and then closed the top. When I picked it up after a couple of hours, the Book was surprisingly warm. I turned it on, it started up from a clearly cold boot, and when I'd logged in I found I'd lost about 40% of my power (from both the tablet and the base).

Clearly it's a bug and it'll be fixed, but has anybody else seen this and found a workaround?

Stocklone

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue where it's closed but warm with battery drain this morning.

From my experience, the right side seems to be the only "real" fan port and if you block that, expect your Book to get hot. Don't know if this is part of the issue or not.

But this thing needs some serious patches quickly. My display drivers stop responding I would say 10 times a day. It tells me I'm dettached or attached randomly when I'm not doing anything. Apps are crashing or becoming non-responsive.

I even got a BSOD while it was doing nothing but laying on my lap while I was talking with a co-worker about it.

The hardware is gorgeous but the stability of this things is probably not going to be good until some real patches come out for it.

And I do not want to trade this one in for another. It has ZERO backlight bleed and I have no idea if all of them are like that or if I got lucky.

I'm not running an Insiders version.

Garf Leonard

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 did the same thing, there is a lot going on in the background, from indexing, to virus scan, update downloads. I'd give it a day or two and then see if it is draining or still warm.

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You're absolutely correct that it desperately needs patches, but I expect they'll be along shortly. In the meantime, it is amazing hardware.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I am experiencing the 'it's off but not off' thing as well with the Book getting warm, draining battery

Temp solution: go into Power Settings and change Standby to Hibernate for when the lid is closed.

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing the 'it's off but not off' thing as well with the Book getting warm, draining battery

Temp solution: go into Power Settings and change Standby to Hibernate for when the lid is closed.

Unless I am missing something, the OP said that he got this when he turned the unit off - as in shut down - not just standby or hibernate. I am going to investigate mine tonight. I had 63% this morning, but that is after an evening of surfing the net and trying out various functions and programs the night before. I consider that about right, though I didn't turn the unit off either. I just closed the lid. If he got down to that level after a full charge by just closing the lid I would not be happy with that performance.

As always, YMMV!
<TED>

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
He didn't shut it down. He said closed this lid, which by Windows default standards is Sleep (standby). After 120 minutes, it should Hibernate by the default Power Plan if not plugged in. You have to manually tell the Book to completely turn off and that's not done by closing the lid or pressing the power button.

Regardless, the issue is the device not properly going into hibernate and staying in a power state that is using CPU. Forcing it into hibernate will prevent this until Microsoft fixes the issue.

My hunch is the display - and only the display - is turning off, but not the CPU, RAM, SSD and GPU, which is still running like the device is up and being used normally.

cdd543

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Yep me too--that long with random edge freezes, BSOD's(though I haven't had one of these since turning off windows hello) etc.

lonewolfe2015

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Daniel, bring up your sleep study report. I would post a link, but the forums don't let me. See: blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2014/06/26/sleep-study-diagnose-whats-draining-your-battery-while-the-system-sleeps/

Mine looks like it may be the Intel Graphics and/or background wi-fi issues. I've disabled background wi-fi while in sleep on battery to test tonight.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Small favor: can you guys type in your cortana search boxes for, well, anything and see if results come up? More importantly, does it say it is searching?

I found my indexing was missing C:\Users, which is very odd. Basically made it not work when I searched for apps and things. I've fixed it and now it _seems_ my SB is doing what it should. Under indexing, it should look like this:

index.PNG

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Small favor: can you guys type in your cortana search boxes for, well, anything and see if results come up? More importantly, does it say it is searching?

I found my indexing was missing C:\Users, which is very odd. Basically made it not work when I searched for apps and things. I've fixed it and now it _seems_ my SB is doing what it should. Under indexing, it should look like this:

View attachment 115437

My indexing was also not set to include Users. I was not able to search for control panel options etc. I have added Users to the list and now the search is working properly. I also had the battery drain while the laptop was closed issue today, I do not know if they are related but it looks like I had both problems. I used your hibernate fix and hopefully there will be a patch soon to fix the battery issue. I hardly used the laptop at all today and when I got home it was at 40%. So it must have been draining the battery all day while it was closed sitting on my desk.

ErR0rPr0n3

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't had this issue until this morning (not shutting off), maybe it was some stealth windows update gone wrong? I must admit I put mine on the slow ring (my other devices are all fast aside from my main PC) so I don't know if this is just an issue with the preview builds as my Surface Pro (1) also doesn't go to sleep when the type cover is closed or after a short press of the power button and I had to do this same thing. I'll probably try rolling it back to the vanilla using the rollback feature and see if that changes anything (this is assuming everyone else reporting this has also put theirs into the preview program).

EDIT: The other thing I had never done before this morning was put it into the "clipboard" mode (screen reversed and closed). Maybe that had something to do with it?
EDIT2: I ran winver and I'm still at 10240 so it appears it has nothing to do with a preview release. After the small update I had pending and a reboot, It is now prompting me for 10565 so I suspect it may have been busy downloading it in the background perhaps.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte