03-17-2017 06:41 PM
30 12
tools
    It ended up being a refurbished unit that they gave me. I wasn't too happy about that either since I was forcing that the device be a new unit. I also noticed the same behavior when shutting it down they keyboard stays lit for about 30 seconds if you press a key. I'm uncertain however if it makes any difference as I haven't tested it.
    02-26-2017 07:28 PM
    I just wanted to give an update. So after I received the refurbished replacement device, it also exhibited the same issues. After fighting with Microsoft they claimed that the replacement they gave me was also defective, even though they ensured me that the devices they send out are tested and flashed with the latest drivers and firmware. Any case I requested multiple times to speak with their escalations team which failed to reach out to me and they were insisting to have the device replaced again. I told them I wanted them to replace it at the store since I did not want to wait over a week again for a replacement. Finally got to the store today and they've swapped it with a brand new one after fighting them about giving me a refurbished unit again.

Hopefully I get to test this again and see what happens. If it happens again I'm convinced its firmware/hardware related.
    03-03-2017 06:52 PM
    So the keyboard backlight after shutdown is due to Fast Boot being enabled. It appears that before the Surface Book shuts down it puts the Surface Book in a quasi-hybrid hibernation mode, which causes the backlight on the keyboard to stay active for a while before completely shutting down. Turning off Fast Boot which I originally thought would help fix the issue, sadly did not. I contacted Microsoft Support again to please have them escalate my issue to a Team Lead as this is the 3rd replacement with the same problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batterydrainreport.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	134243

Clearly you can see the discharge in the snippet of the report. The windows battery meter shows 96% for battery #1 .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	discharge.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	134244
    Last edited by netwirejohn; 03-05-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    03-05-2017 02:52 PM
    So wanted to provide another update. My latest test has the 3/8/17 firmware applied. I've separate the keyboard base from the tablet/clipboard and it's been observed that the battery loss is in the tablet/clipboard itself. The keyboard base stayed at 100%. The clipboard was at 97%. My support case has also been escalated with Microsoft.
    03-10-2017 08:06 AM
    I'm surprised no one has chimed in about this issue. I've been getting nonsense info from Microsoft support and basically giving me no recourse. I'm demanding for a refund or a different model that works. This Microsoft support case has been opened for close to a month without resolution.
    03-17-2017 06:41 PM
30 12