Has anyone tried the half-sized micro SD adapter with Surface Book?

majd_selbi

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I have the 128GBs model of the SB, I want to expand storage through an SD card, but a regular SD card would stick out and look ugly on the SB, that when I realized there are half-sized micro SD card adapters, which (by the look of it) may have a much more flush fit on an SB (and other PCs). The problem is that these adapters (what Ive found so far) are all marketed for Raspberry Pi and Apple laptops, they dont mention any windows machine in the description, but reviewers state that they are using them with windows machines (Dell XPS mostly, and I saw one positive review for using it with an SB). Has anyone here tried a product like this? can you please provide feedback?

UPDATE: I have purchased the BASEQI 103 A adapter with the Samsung EVO+ 128 GB Micro SD, they work pretty well and as needed.
they pop out very little on the side (barely enough space for your nails to pull it out), does not limit usage or mobility of the surface in anyway, the transfer speed is about 20MB/S, for me that was good enough.
In conclusion, this solution works and this trick is highly recommended for surface book users

Last edited:

photios

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I purchased this model from Amazon: "BASEQI aluminum microSD Adapter for MacBook Air 13" and MacBook Pro 13"/15" (Non-Retina)". (I would have provided a link but I do not have 10 posts yet, so I'm unable to do so). I like it. It sticks out about 1.5mm, and you have just enough space to pull out the card with your fingernail through a slot carved into the protrusion. I would prefer that the card was completely flush with the surface book, but this is pretty good and the aluminum encasing on the extruding part looks like it was made for the surface book.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Will that work as typically the adapter snap in and pop out. The SD port at least with the large adapter doesn't snap in or out.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I purchased this model from Amazon: "BASEQI aluminum microSD Adapter for MacBook Air 13" and MacBook Pro 13"/15" (Non-Retina)". (I would have provided a link but I do not have 10 posts yet, so I'm unable to do so). I like it. It sticks out about 1.5mm, and you have just enough space to pull out the card with your fingernail through a slot carved into the protrusion. I would prefer that the card was completely flush with the surface book, but this is pretty good and the aluminum encasing on the extruding part looks like it was made for the surface book.

I wonder if this one:

http://www.amazon.com/BASEQI-alumin...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3377946

which is the same thing but for Retina would work. It's slightly less deep and may therefore be more flush with the side of the SB. As noted above, however, there is no spring mechanism in the SB to pop it back out. Once you get this in, if it truly is flush, how do you get it back out?

photios

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
It's not completely flush. If you look at the photo from the link above, you notice that the end of the card has an aluminum encasement. The central part of the encasement has a grooved space, so you can stick a fingernail in it. The card protrudes form the SB roughly from where the groove begins. From my measurement, it's about 1.5mm. So it is "almost" flush, but not quite. You can definitely see it sticking out. As I mentioned above, it's not bad! You can definitely get it the SB in and out of a sleeve or case without difficulty without removing the card.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Photios -

The one I linked is actually different than the one you bought. The one you bought is the non-Retina version of the BaseQi. The one I linked is the Retina version of the same thing and has slightly less depth than the one you bought.

519JfRuJSeL.jpg

I'm not sure these images are to scale but the model number is different. It may even be an optical illusion as the silver bevel is bigger on this one.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi Photios -

The one I linked is actually different than the one you bought. The one you bought is the non-Retina version of the BaseQi. The one I linked is the Retina version of the same thing and has slightly less depth than the one you bought.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519JfRuJSeL.jpg
I'm not sure these images are to scale but the model number is different. It may even be an optical illusion as the silver bevel is bigger on this one.

on the Q and A on amazon website, it seems BaseQi will have a SB one.

Question: Will this (or a different sized model) fit the Microsoft Surface Book?

Answer: No, the 303A model will NOT fit the Microsoft Surface Book (I bought and tried this myself). You need the 103A model (which is a bit longer and fits the Surface Book). I have this one from HyperDrive and it works perfectly in my Surface Book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3378339#8230; see more

By K. White on November 10, 2015 We are ready to launch the corresponding model for surface book
Mail can be sent to service@baseqi.com
subject : Need microSD adapter for surface book
Sales will be provided notice
By BASEQI on November 11, 2015

Last edited:

majd_selbi

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks to all the responses. based on your input, ive decided to go with the BASEQI 103 with a 128 GBs samsung evo+ micro SD.
I will update this thread upon their arrival and test

many thanks again

dkmason99

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I had pretty good luck with TheMiniDrive. I was disappointed that TheMiniDrive was limited to 200GB and had that irritating tag. You can cut the tag off if it bugs you and you don't need to get the card back out of your Surface Book.

I also tried Transcend 256GB JetDrive Lite (search Amazon for TS256GJDL360). Unfortunately there's a plastic lip around the top edge of the drive that prevents it from fitting all the way in to the Surface Book SD slot. I ended up filing off the lip and jamming it all the way in. It works great, so I'm very happy right now, but I will have some trouble if I ever want to extract the JetDrive.

Vihsadas

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I've just ordered two of them for two surface books. I'll report back when I get them.

UPDATE: Shipping to Canada isn't available until the end of Feb. They will process your order and make you wait, or offer you a refund. I took the refund...At the end of Feb I'll try again.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon