Just Got Mine. Can anyone Offer Power Management Advice?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading about the issues over the past few months. I'm hoping since mine is form the latest batch that maybe I'll get lucky and issues will be minimal. A few things to make sure I'm reading things correctly.From what I've been reading I should use hibernation instead of sleep to keep the batteyr issues to a minimum,correct?

Any other tips/info would be appreciated.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Go to advanced settings of power mode and turn on the hibernate after xxx minutes under sleep setting
Also set closing lid to hibernate. I left everything else default.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Go to advanced settings of power mode and turn on the hibernate after xxx minutes under sleep setting
Also set closing lid to hibernate. I left everything else default.

Thanks man. I remember reading about all the issues with sleep mode and couldn't remember the recommended workarounds.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
While hibernate is best to min Battery drain, say travelling from home to work and back etc, don't let sleep change to hibernate by itself. There are issues with unable to wake and BSOD. I decouple sleep and hibernate. So set it to sleep with Never to hibernate. Set hardware button to hibernate. I set close cover to sleep. If I intend to go on a long travel, will select shut down on the start menu. So far, I've not had a BSOD in recent memory.

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've actually had pretty good luck lately with the default power settings. I was having all sort of issues and even tried the hibernate thing (which I didn't really care for). I think after the December updates, I went into my power settings and just reset everything back to default plan settings. Since then, I've only had one instance where the computer didn't sleep correctly and made my backpack into a little oven.

benjaminries

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I recommend the following:
1. Read How to max out the Intel HD graphics on Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 | Windows Central to learn how to temporarily disable Connected Standby in the registry so that you can edit certain advanced power settings (that are usually hidden when CS is enabled).
2. Disable connected standby in the registry, create a new power profile called "Optimized" based on the "Balanced" profile, and then reboot.
3. Edit the advanced, admin-only settings under your new custom power profile as follows:
- it should already be set to hibernate from sleep mode after 120 minutes when on battery... reduce to 30 minutes, etc. if you want
- closing the lid: sleep (should already be that way)
- power button and sleep button: hibernate (both on battery and plugged in)
- set graphics to max power saving on battery and max performance when plugged in
- disable USB selective suspend on plugged in, and also disable PCI link state power management when plugged in (extra power!)
- set max CPU on battery to 99% (this prevents CPU from going into turbo mode, and then throttling due to passive cooling)
- everything else should stay the same: 100% max when plugged in, passive cooling on battery / active cooling plugged in, etc.
4. Save, go back into registry, re-enable connected standby, and reboot.

This profile will limit your peak graphics and processor performance on battery, but I haven't noticed (and could always switch power profiles if I needed a boost). I've seen estimated time left = 15 hours when word processing, light browsing, etc.

Also - if I'm putting the SB in my bag and I want to be absolutely sure that the laptop goes straight into hibernate rather than risk that it won't make the jump from sleep to hibernate itself 120 minutes later, I just unplug the power cable before hitting the power button so that it uses the "on battery" setting. But if I'm at home and leaving the SB plugged in, I can hit the power button and it should go into connected standby (sleep, but with an active internet connection).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05