Firmware update 1/27/2016 on Surface Book - new nvidia driver

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else with the dGPU that installed the 1/27 firmware update have to manually force the Nvidia driver to update via Device Manager? My surface book decided to do the firmware and windows updates in the one hour I walked away from my machine this morning (odd, it usually does them overnight). When I came back, I saw that it had installed updates (it also got stuck trying to log me in, forcing me to make it restart again). I checked the Nvidia driver version in the Device Manager and it still showed the 9/15 one, so I tried manually updating it by telling it to search for new drivers. It found and installed the new one only then.

Has anyone else checked their nvidia driver version after taking the firmware update?

sundog55

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I have the i7/dgpu, did the firmware update this morning, the nvidia driver did update to the one dated 12/3/2015.

Last edited:

Fanface

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I have i7/dGPU , I updated manually latest Nvidia driver (361.75) before I update firmware.
But after updating firmware, Nvidia driver keep displaying crashing message , so I should uninstall Graphic driver.

And then I did reboot again and update checking.SB updated Nvidia driver now 12/3/2015.

It's just saying , my issue (can you play Diablo 3 on SB ? ) doesn't resolved yet.

Geforce experience is crashed again.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My current version is the 12/3/2015 driver after manually updating it. I haven't tried launching Diablo 3 yet (will do that later today).

frank kirshbaum

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I updated the 1/27/16 firmware and the NVidia driver went to 359.14. I then updated to 361.75 by downloading the driver. The Geforce Experience did not see the update. I've briefly tested, Detach / Attach and games that use the NVidia GPU. All seems ok. In hindsight I think this was probably a stupid thing to do. I'm guessing I'll run into some issues soon. I did do a full backup before installing 361.75 so hopefully I can revert if issues arise.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I went to the Nvidia home page and discovered, by running an auto scan on my laptop, that I did NOT have the right updated driver. The 12/3 version is not the most recent. It might be the one that MS forces, but the new one is dated 1/22/16.

I downloaded it and it works perfectly fine.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Nvidia home page and discovered, by running an auto scan on my laptop, that I did NOT have the right updated driver. The 12/3 version is not the most recent. It might be the one that MS forces, but the new one is dated 1/22/16.

I downloaded it and it works perfectly fine.

Given that this is a custom GPU, I'm hesitant to install a different driver version than the one pushed through Windows update, at least until this machine proves itself to be more reliable.

The new nvidia driver is working quite well for me so far. I spent probably 6-8 hours over the past two days playing Diablo 3 without incident. Everything has been smooth (dare I say, smoother than before?). I also managed to fix my one other nagging issue, which was the 2012 Visual C++ redistributable update from around mid-month installing over and over again (repaired within the control panel and poof... no more installs of the update since then).

So far, I'm actually pleased with this latest round of updates (Windows 10 and firmware). I hope it keeps up!

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I have noticed my fan kicks on a lot more now after the update and seems to run hotter than before the update.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed my fan kicks on a lot more now after the update and seems to run hotter than before the update.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Do you mean all the time or just when using the nvidia GPU (this thread was mostly about the new nvidia driver). My fans kick on and stay on when gaming on the nvidia GPU even for a short period of time, and have since the beginning. For instance, I played Diablo 3 for maybe 45 minutes last night and the fans kicked on no more than 5 minutes after loading the game. They stayed on until just after I closed the game.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Is firmware update same as window 10 updates? I haven't done separate firmware update s.

No. Firmware (hardware) updates are separate from Windows updates. If you look at your update history, you should probably see some updates that say "system hardware update" or "system firmware update" in addition to the windows 10 updates that will read something like "cumulative update for windows 10". There was an update on 1/27 that was labeled "system firmware update - 1/27/2016" that supposedly updated the nvidia drivers on Surface Book models with the dGPU. This thread was regarding that driver update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb