Adobe Premiere CC crashes Surface Book

majd_selbi

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I just downloaded Premiere pro on my surface book (128GB / Core Intel i5 - 8GB), and it keeps crashing my system, it doesn't just turn off, it shuts down my Surface Book (With error message).

Im not even editing any videos, its just still images with an audio track, I add a few effects (pan and scale), and when I render, or sometimes just slide the time cursor over the timeline, the whole thing crashed, blue screen and all.

What's the issue here? is there something I could tweek in Premiere? or is my device faulty?

Many thanks

UPDATE: the error im getting is VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. it seems caused by a failure in my display driver, not sure if it could be solved by a software update, or the processors on Surface Book are not heavy duty at all.

Last edited:

ecaggiani

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I just launched Premiere Pro CC on my Surface Book (512GB / Core i7 - 16GB) and it works fine. No crash. Are you sure you have all the firmware updates, as well as any Adobe updates?

majd_selbi

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
windows is up to date (just checked, it downloaded a very small defender update), and i have just downloaded premiere CC, also checked for updates on creative cloud, its up to date.
your unit includes a GPU, so I guess its not depending on the built in Intel display driver and thus your should perform better. Im not complaining about that, your device SHOULD perform better, but an I5 machine should be able to perform decently, and not crash when applying the simplest of filters.

dragerfroe

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I recently was trying to install Steam games on my Surface Book and I was having issues - Half Life , Team Fortress, Skyrim. They would start, then stop with an error.

I came to the conclusion that is was a GPU driver issue. I went to the NVIDIA website and downloaded the 940MX drivers and installed - which are the 361.75 driver set. They work fine and my steam games function great. I haven't run a 3d Mark test on it yet but it is stable. Even when dumping a bunch of 3d objects from Garry's Mod into the map, the GPU does well. I also HAVE NOT tested the docking of the clipboard.

Last edited:

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
No problems here but I am running the base model...

This would be the most relevant reply thus far, since the OP also has the base model Surface Book, it seems (i5/8gb/128gb).

Everyone else who has commented is running the nvidia dGPU units which will affect the situation, given that programs like Premier Pro should run on the dGPU in those cases, and not the integrated Intel graphics.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
This would be the most relevant reply thus far, since the OP also has the base model Surface Book, it seems (i5/8gb/128gb).

Everyone else who has commented is running the nvidia dGPU units which will affect the situation, given that programs like Premier Pro should run on the dGPU in those cases, and not the integrated Intel graphics.

That may be true as far as it goes, but that's not the whole story.

I am running Premiere Pro on an i7/8/256 version of the Surface Book with the NVidia GPU. I have frequent issues with Premiere Pro. Both my book and my PP software are running all the updates. I have frequent crashes that appear to be display driver related, including times when my display just goes dark. I know the system is probably running normally, but without a way to see what I am doing (including plugging in an external display to no avail), it's effectively a hard stop. There's nothing to be done but reboot and lose my work.

I have also had issues when running PP in clipboard mode to preview/subclip video from interviews. Since the dedicated GPU is in the base, PP is running on the Intel integrated GPU. My book hasn't been as unreliable since the 1/27 firmware updates, but it's by no means bulletproof. There's clearly still some work to be done to perfect these Skylake drivers, and I think Microsoft is still trying to figure out how to get the two GPUs to play nice with each other. Until then (and until some of these large apps are updated to better cooperate with the OS), I think these intermittent failures are going to continue to happen.

Lesson? Save your work - often.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
That may be true as far as it goes, but that's not the whole story.

I am running Premiere Pro on an i7/8/256 version of the Surface Book with the NVidia GPU. I have frequent issues with Premiere Pro. Both my book and my PP software are running all the updates. I have frequent crashes that appear to be display driver related, including times when my display just goes dark. I know the system is probably running normally, but without a way to see what I am doing (including plugging in an external display to no avail), it's effectively a hard stop. There's nothing to be done but reboot and lose my work.

I have also had issues when running PP in clipboard mode to preview/subclip video from interviews. Since the dedicated GPU is in the base, PP is running on the Intel integrated GPU. My book hasn't been as unreliable since the 1/27 firmware updates, but it's by no means bulletproof. There's clearly still some work to be done to perfect these Skylake drivers, and I think Microsoft is still trying to figure out how to get the two GPUs to play nice with each other. Until then (and until some of these large apps are updated to better cooperate with the OS), I think these intermittent failures are going to continue to happen.

Lesson? Save your work - often.

Agreed, though the OPs issue cannot be related to the 2 GPUs playing nicely together, since he doesn't have a dGPU. I have a dGPU model and have some pretty annoying issues with the Intel & nvidia GPUs playing nice as well (including the dark display requiring a hard reboot -- this is probably the most annoying issue I still have post 1/27 firmware update).

I was just pointing out that the people answering the OP are attempting to run the application on their dGPU models vs the OPs Intel graphics only model and saying they have no problems. Apples vs oranges, IMHO, unless those responding are specifically telling their machines to launch and run PP on the Intel graphics rather than nvidia (doable in the nvidia control panel). It's hard to say you have or don't have the same issue when your hardware isn't remotely the same ;).

I also should add that I do believe that a lot of the issues stem from the Intel drivers (especially some of the BSODs), which is exactly what the OP is experiencing when running something intense on the Intel graphics chip. Bottom line: skylake drivers are borderline useable. They work a lot of the time, but when they fail, it is spectacularly bad. I feel like when they "fixed" the crashing and recovering, they just slapped a bandaid over an ugly wound. Yeah, that problem stopped, but others cropped up in its place. The sad reality of the Surface Book is that many of us with even the more stable units have changed our ways just to make things more stable, and even then, many of the issues aren't eliminated.

Anyways, back to the issue at hand, which is PP crashing/causing BSODs on a non-dGPU model Surface Book. I don't have Premier Pro so I can't really test this, even by disabling my nvidia GPU.

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I use it almost everyday with base model and have zero issues. So not sure what the difference is. I am using the Adobe online account with all the bells and whistles version.

wildcard777

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I have a surface book and have been facing the same problems. I think I found a solution. when you make a new project make sure the GPU setting is on software only. Premier seems to be working quick and render times have not increased on me to much. Let me know if this helps because there are several other things I can have you check.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon