Edge is pretty much unusable since last update

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Since the last update rolled out to my Surface Book, Edge has become almost completely unusable. Nearly every website I go to will start shutting the display off and on (obviously back to major display driver crashes), and sometimes will just crash it to the point that I have to do a full restart to be able to get the screen on again. I did load the intel driver update, which helped immensely - until last weeks update.

Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix? Has anyone figured out how to make Edge run on the discreet gpu?

This is just ridiculous.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I found it to be pretty unusable prior to the upgrade. I would just use Chrome or Firefox and let MS work on Edge for a while longer.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I use two different online programs at my job, and the daily crashing of Edge has just gotten to be too much for me. I'm now on Chrome. An ancillary benefit: wpcentral in Chrome with adblocker plus is actually usable...

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I actually rolled back to the 11/15 MS certified driver and everything is working great now. I read that the firmware fix was made for their certified driver, so decided to give it a try. I have had ZERO browser crashes since rolling back to the MS supplied/certified driver.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Nearly every website I go to will start shutting the display off and on (obviously back to major display driver crashes), and sometimes will just crash it to the point that I have to do a full restart to be able to get the screen on again.

Unless you're exaggerating, then your experience sounds outside the norm. Many of us are having some glitches and crashes. However, it is far from "nearly every website." That sounds like a problem that goes beyond what I am experiencing.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My biggest issue, aside from the random display driver crashes, was a very reproducible problem. My company uses an online CRM. I use it to disperse reports, quotes, etc. An item is created, and I have a "publish" button in the CRM which then automatically opens a new Outlook email, and attaches or links the item. In Edge, when I hit the publish button, Edge crashes, and all my open Edge windows close. The second time I attempt to publish the same item, it works. However, all new items crash. This hasn't happened since I started using Chrome.

Sorry for all the detail, but just an example of how unusable Edge is right now. So far, Chrome has been excellent. Fast, no rendering issues. Interestingly, the two drawbacks I kept hearing about, scrolling and battery life hit, haven't shown themselves yet.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're exaggerating, then your experience sounds outside the norm. Many of us are having some glitches and crashes. However, it is far from "nearly every website." That sounds like a problem that goes beyond what I am experiencing.

Was not an exaggeration, about the only website I did not have problems with was MSN. It went from sporadic crashes to non-usuable with the update. It obviously had something to do with the Intel non-certified driver and the latest firmware update. I haven't had a single problem since rolling back to the certified driver.

Bbeelzebub

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Edge has been unusable since day 1. Sure, if you stumble across a page without ads or tracking, it's really fast. The problem is that without extension or TPL support, it's just painful. They really need to hurry up with that extension support pronto.

I really would like to not use Chrome. I've always been a big supporter of IE (8 and above) but after using Safari on a Mac for a year, I realize just how bad IE really is as well.

Come on MS, get Edge together before it's too late!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3