SB Gaming Thread....What games are you guys running

Jaysurf88

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I thought I would make a more positive post for those of you that use your SB for casual gaming so everyone can get an idea of what is running good to aid before making purchases etc.

I currently have:

-Alien Isolation: Runs this game like a proper gaming rig, superb graphics and performance. I have it set to 1080p, high graphics settings and I'm getting around 30-40 FPS. resolution can be increased but I prefer the higher FPS, would defo recommend plus the game is awesome.

-Rise Of The Tomb Raider: Recently got this game, runs at around 20FPS at 1080p and low graphics settings. if you need any help setting it up just ask.

-Eve Online: installed this game because I didn't know what it was, runs smooth at high settings, looks really good but don't think I could get into this game, maybe its your thing.

-Dolphin Emulator: if you want to play Nintendo wii with better graphics on your SB then do it its awesome plus its free.

what games are you guys running? I need to get a couple more.

Cheers,

Jay:smile:

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Mostly are Steam games after some sales :D Some are installed on my book to play anytime I want to relax (already have a gaming rig at home BTW)
-Besiege
-Don't Starve
-FF XIII
-Grim Dawn
-Rise of the Tomb Raider
-Styx: Master of Shadows
-Super Hot
-Tomb Raider
-Watchdogs
-Ori and the Blinded Forest
-Diablo III
-Dota 2

I'm kinda quick bored

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Steam Games:
Borderlands 2
Hearthstone
Counter Strike - GO
The Culling

When I am at home I just stream my Steam service from my Gaming Rig or stream Xbox One to my Surface Book.

Jaysurf88

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
ahh I see nice list, do you not get annoyed with letterboxing effect from streaming (black bars top and bottom) I like to play totally full screen

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Tomb Raider (Plays well)
Tomb Raider 1 (Plays well)
Tomb Raider 2 (Plays well)
Tomb Raider 3 (Plays well)
Tomb Raider the last revelation (Plays well)
Tomb Raider chronicles (Plays well)
Tomb Raider the angel of darkness (Plays well)
Tomb Raider legend (Plays well)
Tomb Raider anniversary (Plays well)
Tomb Raider underworld (Plays well)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Haven't started yet)
The Witcher 3 (Plays well but only on low)
Super Meat Boy (Plays well)
Skyrim (Plays well)
Dust (Plays well)
Bioshock (Plays well)
WWE 2K15 (Plays well with low crowd details)
Bastion (Plays well)
Age of Empire (Has resolution issues. Game appears entirely too small with the native resolution to play)
Fez (Plays well but has resolution issues. Could only play on high resolutions in window mode)
LIMBO (Plays well)
Max Payne 3 (Plays well)
Shadow of Mordor (Plays well but mostly on low settings)
Portal (Plays well)
Portal 2 (Plays well)
PAC-MAN Championship edition (Plays well)

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Things I've found to improve performance is to play with the surface book plugged in to wall power. The balance power option seems to give more juice to the GPU when plugged in. Also if you disable connected standby you can access more power options to get a little more juice out of the GPU. I did that to get the balance power option to give a little more when it's plugged in. Lastly, very few games run well at native resolution (2000x3000). Most games run well on the surface between 720-1080. I tend to play a good amount around 900 so that I can really bump up the details but some games are just to intense for the surface book (witcher). I really couldn't do anything to run that game better than low settings.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a few other games I've played on the surface book that I haven't mentioned but overall the point is it definitely can game. The biggest issues I find with games I can't play is due to aspect ratio and screen resolutions. The surface books native screen resolution is so high that some games just don't seem to know how to present themselves. They'll run stretched, boxed, windowed or distorted in full screen and either don't support windowed mode or don't understand the resolution or aspect ratio at all. I've found that lowering the resolution and lowering the text enlargement to100% prior to running the games that have these problems (instead of default 200%) fixes most problems though.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I am a new Surface Book owner and I can say for a casual gamer like myself, just the ability to play all of my STEAM games on this device make this the perfect laptop/2 in 1 ever.

Alien Isolation
Portal
Portal 2
Roller Coaster Tycoon World
Black Mesa

Some trouble
Scratches Directors Cut...doesn't scale so you can't see all of the screen to start the game.
Serena - Mouse is haywire...unplayable.

All in all, I am mostly a classic gamer with Alien Isolation being the "newest" "demanding" game I've purchased and it plays wonderfully on the Surface Book. I'm going to be happy with this machine for years to come.

Jaysurf88

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
wow its interesting to see just how many of you guys have smashed games on it straight away like I did. Portal 1/2 never played but looks good might be my next steam download.

As Geeky as it sounds try Star Trek online if you like space games. its awesome, graphics are good once you've got it set up right game is around 12GB. you could say it was like alien isolation, only you get to captiain ships as well and its online multiplayer but the kicker is....ITS COMPLETELY FREE. watch a youtube video on it if your not convinced, just note on most of the videos their machines aren't set to high graphics.

On another note invest in a NAS Hard Drive. its the best thing ive ever baught. 4TB worth of disk space mapped to my computer as a network drive accessible at home or away. its like one drive but a 1000 times better and customisable. WD My Cloud its terrific.

Thanks for the comments keep em coming.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
wow its interesting to see just how many of you guys have smashed games on it straight away like I did. Portal 1/2 never played but looks good might be my next steam download.

As Geeky as it sounds try Star Trek online if you like space games. its awesome, graphics are good once you've got it set up right game is around 12GB. you could say it was like alien isolation, only you get to captiain ships as well and its online multiplayer but the kicker is....ITS COMPLETELY FREE. watch a youtube video on it if your not convinced, just note on most of the videos their machines aren't set to high graphics.

On another note invest in a NAS Hard Drive. its the best thing ive ever baught. 4TB worth of disk space mapped to my computer as a network drive accessible at home or away. its like one drive but a 1000 times better and customisable. WD My Cloud its terrific.

Thanks for the comments keep em coming.

Yeah, I am literally blown away by this device. I don't need top of the line gaming GPU. This GPU is just perfect for me and even plays SkyRim awesomely.

So you never actually played Portal and Portal 2? Wow...get ready for some good mind puzzles and huge laughs.

Oh, totally forgot about Star Trek Online. Need to get back to it. I was an original player of STO and I gave up when it was the same thing over and over and over. I know it has expended so excited to check it out.

Last edited:

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
At the moment I'm only playing Killer Instinct, which runs beautifully in standard settings, even nicer than my Xbox One. It also carried over my save file and works with two controllers.

The other game I've tried to play and have loved for years is Asphalt 8, but for some reason it doesn't want to work with my Xbox controller and I can't figure out why.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site

And a side note to your topic, yes, I do have a NAS...Seagate Business Storage Windows Server 4-Bay NAS. While not cloud based, it is "cloud" for me as it hosts my media files which I can get from PLEX. Invaluable.

mcf517

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anyone try Dark souls 2 or 3? I have a main gaming system, but it would be nice to play synced saves away from home.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Just started Bio shock infinite and thanks to the power settings I enabled I was able to play it on high settings. I also was able to get witcher 3 playing much better.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I was pretty much able to max out portal 2. Portal 1 doesn't play as nice with the high resolution screen so with the exception of resolution I can pretty much max that one out too.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Just started rise of the tomb raider on my SB. This is the first game that Taxes the SB like no other. So far i'm only able to play it at 720 on low. I'm getting an average of 31 FPS that way using nothing but motion blur for added FX. I'm also using directX 12. There's a good chunk of performance boost using it (about 8 FPS). I'll keep posting if i've found any other ways to improve performance.

Lukewarmchili

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Christopher, are you playing Rise of the Tomb Raider from Windows Store or Steam? I bought it from the Windows Store and enjoyed the game but after updating to Build 14328 the game just crashes now at the splash screen. Have you had any issues with the game crashing?

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I created a thread about gaming and glad I found you guys. I'm playing Black Desert Online (BDO) on my 2007 rig and it's awful at lowest settings! Have you guys played BDO on the surface book? I have a big kid job now, so i can afford such luxuries :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99