Surface Dock eating up CPU usage?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I notice that when i plug my Surface Dock into my SB that it spikes up to about 31% CPU usage and stays there forever. Even when it is not charging. It's making the fan run and my Book incredibly hot. This should not be happening. I dont remember it happening with the RS1 builds but i dont know if i was paying close enough attention. No wonder the dock has such bad reviews. WTF is this ****? When I open the task manager all of the usage is under "system and compressed memory" So that's it, nothing i can do about that. When i restart it does the same thing but if i unplug the dock the memory drops down to 0-1% usage...WHERE IT SHOULD BE WHEN THE COMPUTER IS IDLE :(

Stupid dock. And i have already checked to see if it was up to date with firmware by running the surface dock updater tool. Everything is kosher.

Any ideas?
CPUsurfacedocksurfacebook.JPG

Last edited:

AlMaqdad Al-Lawati

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I notice that when i plug my Surface Dock into my SB that it spikes up to about 31% CPU usage and stays there forever. Even when it is not charging. It's making the fan run and my Book incredibly hot. This should not be happening. I dont remember it happening with the RS1 builds but i dont know if i was paying close enough attention. No wonder the dock has such bad reviews. WTF is this ****? When I open the task manager all of the usage is under "system and compressed memory" So that's it, nothing i can do about that. When i restart it does the same thing but if i unplug the dock the memory drops down to 0-1% usage...WHERE IT SHOULD BE WHEN THE COMPUTER IS IDLE :(

Stupid dock. And i have already checked to see if it was up to date with firmware by running the surface dock updater tool. Everything is kosher.

Any ideas?
View attachment 128778

Have you checked your power cord, AC adapter?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

AlMaqdad Al-Lawati

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
checked it like how? What am i looking for? It's brand new and plugged in...what else do i need to check for?

Try other power cord. I had similar issue with my HP laptop. CPU goes 100% when i plug it on the charger. It was AC adapter issue. When i change it the problem disappeared.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Well i can say almost difinitvely that it is NOT the dock. I plugged in my Book at work today (completely different space) with the regular charger that came with the device. It did the exact same thing. When it was charging the Book got up to 30% CPU or higher and leveled off the whole time it was charging. When i took it off charge it went down to normal levels (0-1%)

So my question now becomes, is this normal? I don't remember seeing this (maybe i didnt notice) when i was on RS1 builds when the device was charging. For anyone who has a Surface Book can you tell me what your CPU usage is when the device is on charge? Again mine spikes up, the fan runs, the whole time it is connected to power.

Thank you.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Well i can say almost difinitvely that it is NOT the dock. I plugged in my Book at work today (completely different space) with the regular charger that came with the device. It did the exact same thing. When it was charging the Book got up to 30% CPU or higher and leveled off the whole time it was charging. When i took it off charge it went down to normal levels (0-1%)

So my question now becomes, is this normal? I don't remember seeing this (maybe i didnt notice) when i was on RS1 builds when the device was charging. For anyone who has a Surface Book can you tell me what your CPU usage is when the device is on charge? Again mine spikes up, the fan runs, the whole time it is connected to power.

Thank you.

can you check which processes are running when the processor starts pushing 30%? I'm thinking it's a process that only starts when the device is charging, like an antivirus scan

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
can you check which processes are running when the processor starts pushing 30%? I'm thinking it's a process that only starts when the device is charging, like an antivirus scan

I mentioned it earlier bud, it's System and Compressed Memory. It does not stop even when the device is fully charged. I'm really not feeling it for multiple reasons. For one it's eating up CPU usage that other processes may need to run if i am using the computer thus making it slower. Also the fan is making noise and it heats up like crazy, sometimes it gets so hot that i feel like i should just shut it down and charge it with the power off.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I mentioned it earlier bud, it's System and Compressed Memory. It does not stop even when the device is fully charged. I'm really not feeling it for multiple reasons. For one it's eating up CPU usage that other processes may need to run if i am using the computer thus making it slower. Also the fan is making noise and it heats up like crazy, sometimes it gets so hot that i feel like i should just shut it down and charge it with the power off.

what did MS chat support have to say?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
i did not contact them. I found out that any charger does this so it might just be normal behavior. Thats why i am trying to find out what other peeples surface book do when the connect the charger.

nevertheless, contact them - I had a serious issue with my office that no one could solve but they did in a couple of hours. No harm in trying

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Luminous, you should have a look at this reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3t19ko/why_is_system_and_compressed_memory_using_so_much/

I googled your problem because I remembered awhile back reading about folks with issues with system and compressed memory eating CPU cycles... partway through that discussion is a post that mentions the same issue -- it only does it when plugged in. Perhaps a solution to your problem is buried in that discussion.

thanks for that link I will sift through it when I get out of work. The update to Red Stone 1 might fix this but I was having those audio problems with those builds so I went back to 1511.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett