02-24-2017 01:15 AM
38 12
tools
    Got the previous surfacebook with GPU/i5 and
    having same issue. Sleep doesn't work as expected. Dies in about one to two days.
    Reloaded OS from scrach and updated to latest SW but didn't help.
    used powercfg to check what's going on and the active standby is causing a huge drain.
    Man... been about a month but it's just sitting in the living room.
    Need to find time to get a replacement.
    01-11-2017 06:44 AM
    Sounds like you should run a memory diagnostic. Windows has one built it, but some say it isn't as good as using memtest. If a memory test returns a lot of errors, then you need to get your machine replaced as you probably have some bad RAM.
    I downloaded and ran MemTest - seven instances of it to cover the 16GB of RAM (the portion not used by the OS at least), for more than an hour, and it reported more than 100% coverage in each instance. No errors.
    01-11-2017 10:55 AM
    I downloaded and ran MemTest - seven instances of it to cover the 16GB of RAM (the portion not used by the OS at least), for more than an hour, and it reported more than 100% coverage in each instance. No errors.
    Interesting. Maybe run diagnostics on the SSD (looking for errors), since windows does use drive space as scratch memory ... otherwise, you might consider a clean install of Windows. I would think you'd be seeing other forms of corruption, though. Odd.
    01-11-2017 05:50 PM
    Interesting. Maybe run diagnostics on the SSD (looking for errors), since windows does use drive space as scratch memory ... otherwise, you might consider a clean install of Windows. I would think you'd be seeing other forms of corruption, though. Odd.
    Well, maybe I'll be getting a replacement Surface Book. We'll see, but here's the relevant link: Enter Key Depressed
    01-12-2017 01:10 PM
    Well, several more BSODs in the past couple days. I'll be going to Microsoft Store tomorrow evening.
    Probably caused by : memory_corruption
    Probably caused by : dxgmms2.sys ( dxgmms2!VidSchSubmitCommand+212b9 )
    01-13-2017 09:16 PM
    Well, several more BSODs in the past couple days. I'll be going to Microsoft Store tomorrow evening.
    So here's the deal. I didn't even finish explaining to the tech what was going on before he said, "Let me check to see if we have this device in stock." Unfortunately, they didn't have one in stock. He said that they could set up an exchange in store, where I'd leave my computer and they'd ship a replacement to my house. No. That doesn't work for me - I don't have another computer.

He had me go to online support, because he said that the online service could do an advance exchange. I wandered through the chat, explaining to them that the tech here in the store had already determined that a replacement was needed, blah blah blah, and gave his name and store number. They said they could do an advance exchange or a regular exchange. Advance would be they send a replacement that would arrive in 3-5 days, or the regular would be I send them my PC, they send a replacement, total 5-8 days. I said advanced, of course. Problem is that not only do they want to be sure that you have a credit card on file, but they want to put a $3300 hold on your account. I don't have a credit card. Don't hate - it's a personal decision - I'm debt-free other than my mortgage, and intend to stay that way, so this is one of the decisions I've made. But no, I don't have $3300 in my checking account that I can afford to put on hold for a week.

I told the tech in the store this, and he said that he could contact me when one arrives in the store - and that actually one was supposed to arrive yesterday but didn't, and two more are scheduled to arrive Monday. So he sent an email and copied me, and when it arrives, they'll call me, and I'll go do an in-store exchange. And yes, I know that I'm better off this way, because this way I'll be getting a brand new machine rather than a refurb.
    01-14-2017 05:25 PM
    Well, this isn't going anywhere near as good as I'd hoped.

So yesterday, I emailed the tech that I talked to in the store on Saturday, asking if a SB had arrived. That was mid-afternoon. Right before the store closed, since I had no reply yet, I called the store to check inventory. The person answering the phone said that they don't carry the 1TB model in stores. He checked inventory, and indeed, there were none.

I got off the phone and emailed the tech again, and this time copied the rest of the team that he had copied on his original email. This morning I had a reply from one of the inventory people, who said that this model was "constrained company wide," and that they "don't expect to get any until mid-February." I replied and asked her to forward my email to a manager because I'm ticked, and how could I get such wildly conflicting information? She said she passed it on to the managers.

In the meantime, I go online to chat with Surface Support. They again tell me that the only way this will work is to either do without my computer for a week or more, or have $3300 plus tax for them to place a hold (I do not have a credit card). I made two suggestions. One - send the PC to the Microsoft Store and I could exchange it there. They can't do that. I also suggested that they check inventory of various stores (someone somewhere has to be able to access this) and have a store with one in stock send it to one of the stores local to me. Not willing. I spent two hours with a supervisor in the chat, going in circles. Nothing.

Needless to say, I'm ticked.
    01-17-2017 08:41 PM
    I have never put any PC into sleep mode for any time. I guess I like to switch things off if I am not using them!
    01-18-2017 06:51 AM
    Well, this isn't going anywhere near as good as I'd hoped.

So yesterday, I emailed the tech that I talked to in the store on Saturday, asking if a SB had arrived. That was mid-afternoon. Right before the store closed, since I had no reply yet, I called the store to check inventory. The person answering the phone said that they don't carry the 1TB model in stores. He checked inventory, and indeed, there were none.

I got off the phone and emailed the tech again, and this time copied the rest of the team that he had copied on his original email. This morning I had a reply from one of the inventory people, who said that this model was "constrained company wide," and that they "don't expect to get any until mid-February." I replied and asked her to forward my email to a manager because I'm ticked, and how could I get such wildly conflicting information? She said she passed it on to the managers.

In the meantime, I go online to chat with Surface Support. They again tell me that the only way this will work is to either do without my computer for a week or more, or have $3300 plus tax for them to place a hold (I do not have a credit card). I made two suggestions. One - send the PC to the Microsoft Store and I could exchange it there. They can't do that. I also suggested that they check inventory of various stores (someone somewhere has to be able to access this) and have a store with one in stock send it to one of the stores local to me. Not willing. I spent two hours with a supervisor in the chat, going in circles. Nothing.

Needless to say, I'm ticked.
    I can understand your frustration, but don't be ticked at the advanced replacement process that requires a credit card -- it's been that way with every company forever. I did it a few times with Western Digital for hard drives back in the day. That said, I've used that advanced replacement process for a Surface device and it goes very smoothly, in my experience. I understand that you don't have a CC and don't want one, but realize that by doing that, you have limitations that most people don't have. To expect MS to accommodate you because you choose not to have something that the vast majority of people have is kind of ridiculous. They will replace you device, you just don't like the process. That said, it would be awfully nice of them to offer to ship a replacement device to a store for you so you could just do the exchange in the store, but also understand that a lot of times, special stuff like that isn't easy to do with a big company like Microsoft.

I actually went without my PC for almost 2 weeks (Surface Pro 3) because it was old and way out of warranty when it died on me, so advanced replacement wasn't an option, and the first replacement they sent was defective (and I paid $300 for the privilege). I used an HP Stream 7 the entire time, and my smartphone. Very painful.

So I do understand how you feel, but you probably aren't going to get things done your way. What do you think people do under most laptop warranties? They go without a PC because other companies don't even offer something like MS's exchange program with a standard warranty. I had to ship a laptop to Dell for repair a couple of years ago (my brother's) and wasn't given any other option other than to go 2-3 weeks without it. He had no PC for about 3 weeks total. So it sucks, but it might be the only option if you don't have a credit card.
    01-19-2017 10:52 AM
    Oddly enough, I've never needed warranty replacement with any device that wasn't a Microsoft device (other than phones, which while long ago, I walked into the store and got service). With my SP3, I had four replacements, and each of them was a walk into the Microsoft Store to exchange. So what do I expect? I expect to get the same good service I've had in the past from the same company.
    01-19-2017 02:37 PM
    I finally got a call from the store manager. First of all he apologized for the miscommunication. He said that they are actively seeking a PC for me, and he will contact me as soon as he hears something. He doesn't expect one until the end of the month, though. I can live with that. I can handle working with a PC that gives me trouble if I know that a replacement is on the way.
    01-20-2017 11:03 PM
    Finally got my replacement Surface Book on Monday. It's been almost 48 hours now, and not one blue screen. Let's hope that continues. I had my original Surface Book for 84 days, and had 36 dump files from BSODs, and there were several BSODs that I didn't allow to finish their dumps before powering off to restart, so I averaged a blue screen about every two days. Hopefully that will not be the case with this new device.
    02-08-2017 12:12 PM
    Well, apparently that did it. 18 days now, and one BSOD (and that was while I wasn't using the PC), as opposed to an average of one every two days with the old SB. Glad to be rid of that thing.
    02-24-2017 01:15 AM
38 12