Can I bring my MS online purchased Surface Book to my local MS store for warranty replacement?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My sb has gone bonkers and I figured the turnaround process might be quicker if I just took it to my local store. Perhaps they'd even give it to me the same day once they test it and see how f'd up it is. I have the total care warranty thingamajig they offer with it and it's still under warranty.

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Make sure you have the receipt from where you purchased it to make sure they know it's not stolen. My local MS store will help in any way they can but only if they have a hard copy of the purchase receipt or it is stored in their system. Picture ID is always good to have as well.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you have the receipt from where you purchased it to make sure they know it's not stolen. My local MS store will help in any way they can but only if they have a hard copy of the purchase receipt or it is stored in their system. Picture ID is always good to have as well.

I bought it online so I'd have to print it out. I spoke to a rep at the 5th Avenue store and she said I just needed to bring the power cord. Presumably because they used my email to link to my MS account and saw the purchase and warranty.I guess it couldn't hurt to print out a copy of the order from the online store and bring it with id of course.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious, what happened to your SB?

I spilled some Cabernet Sauvignon near the hinge section and it likely leaked int he keyboard. It's been rock sild up until then. SO in short, if you're thinking of investing in a surface book absolutely do so. Best piece of hardware I've owned. I went from a 70/30 split between desktop/laptop to about a 20/80 split from desktop to laptop after buying my surface book.

Just don't be an ***** and spill anything into it like me.

FYI The MS store was willing to replace it and they didn't need any kind of receipt, just ID to verify my ms account. Unfortunately they didnt have my configuration in the store so they put in a request to overnight a brand new one. I must say between this, user voice, ms feedback and the great customer service at their stores MS has gone to great lengths to improve customer relations.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Haha, wow, that sucks. I already own a SB (pre-ordered it shortly after it was announced, so mine is out of warranty at this point). I was just curious what happened to yours (was wondering if you had a hardware failure).

Actually, after a year of ownership and daily use, I would concur with you about the SB overall. It is finally the machine I had hoped it would be when I first bought it. I'm back to actually detaching the clipboard frequently (stopped for a long time because of display driver issues, BSoDs, etc).

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Was your warranty the 1 year factory or the extra 2 year warranty? I bought the 15 256 gb DPGU on sale for 1749. They said even on accidental damage just bring it into the store and they would exchange it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb