Suggestion for the SB2

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if MS is thinking about adding a kickstand to the*clip board of the surface book 2 so that*it can be used independently. Also while they are at it if the keyboard of the surface book 2 doubles as a wireless bluetooth keyboard.*The clipboard can then be dethatched and kept at a distance while the keyboard could be on your lap and still be used to type.

DQuiLon

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
I don't really mind the kickstand for the clipboard... If you need the tablet portion so much, the Pro line is fantastic... However I do agree that having a Bluetooth keyboard option while detached would be awesome.... They already have most of the battery there, a Bluetooth chip wouldn't compromise it internally.

For me, I wish for at least 1 thunderbolt 3 port (while still offering mixed connectivity). A fingerprint reader wouldn't hurt.

However to be honest, my recently purchased Book has been almost the perfect device, I really wouldn't know what can be done to improve it substantially.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I heard from a source - a source whose reliability I do not know, but someone at Microsoft - that the next gen of SB will have USB-C in the base, and that in the future, you would be able to upgrade by swapping out the base. He also said that in order to swap out bases to upgrade, you'd have to start out with at least the SB with performance base.

Again, I do not know how reliable this source is, but he is a Microsoft employee - that much I can vouch for.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I heard from a source - a source whose reliability I do not know, but someone at Microsoft - that the next gen of SB will have USB-C in the base, and that in the future, you would be able to upgrade by swapping out the base. He also said that in order to swap out bases to upgrade, you'd have to start out with at least the SB with performance base.

Again, I do not know how reliable this source is, but he is a Microsoft employee - that much I can vouch for.
Well I guess that makes sense!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why you'd have to start with the 2016 model, either. This isn't someone I can follow-up with. This isn't someone I know, but someone that I met at a Microsoft event, and like I said, I cannot vouch for his accuracy, only that he works for Microsoft - and NOT in any position that I would have thought would be privileged with this information, although I do not know how much of what information Microsoft shares internally at various levels. I just found it interesting, and at the time, thought, "Well, I guess we'll watch and see."

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
upgrading the base would be the best thing to come out as you wouldn't end up paying a lot of cash for a completely new device

Last edited:

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't see them selling the base and clipboard separately. Mainly because both parts contain hardware affecting performance. The Surface Pro has the keyboard sold separately that is just a keyboard. The Book has a battery and DGPU in the base and could cause support issues down the line by mixing and matching hardware.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't see them selling the base and clipboard separately. Mainly because both parts contain hardware affecting performance. The Surface Pro has the keyboard sold separately that is just a keyboard. The Book has a battery and DGPU in the base and could cause support issues down the line by mixing and matching hardware.

Never changed a graphics card in a PC?

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes i have but most users haven't. I'm saying I don't think they will sell them separately not that it's not possible. That's why they have a Surface Pro line and a Surface Book line.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to see a little somethin-somethin (ribs, dimples, something) on the Clipboard to hold onto when removing from the base...I'm always fearful it will slip from my grip....

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Neither Paul Thurrott nor Mary Jo Foley, nor anyone here at Windows Central has reported this. I'd take it with a large chunk of salt.

I've seen a couple of articles on this same subject re: the next gen SB. I hope they aren't true, or at least that maybe MS is making a lower end unit without the 2-in-1 functionality alongside the detachable units. I would absolutely miss the 2-in-1 functionality and would be really upset to have to return to a unit without a discrete GPU like the Surface Pro line once I decide to upgrade.

I haven't seen this written on any of the usual Windows/MS rumor sites like Thurrott or even here on WC either, so I remain hopeful that it's either a partial truth or completely misleading somehow.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
as far as I'm concerned, the biggest improvement they can make is leave the majority of the battery capabilities in the base BUT ALSO add more battery life into the screen so that - should you need to - you can use as a tablet for longer than a couple of hours.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
as far as I'm concerned, the biggest improvement they can make is leave the majority of the battery capabilities in the base BUT ALSO add more battery life into the screen so that - should you need to - you can use as a tablet for longer than a couple of hours.

Good point! I change my answer to... lower the price AND add more tablet battery!

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes in a desktop. Never in a Laptop. That's not what it's about the whole manufacturing process, packaging and design would have to change which I don't that changing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa