surface book wont recognise Garmin Sat Nav with usb data lead

Graeme Jones

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
My surface book wont recognise my garmin nuvi sat nav as a removable disc drive to allow it to be updated when plugged into the usb ports. I have purchased a new genuine garmin data lead but the problem remains and it will only allow charging. The Garmin does state it needs to be plugged directly into a USB port on the PC/Laptop and not via a USB hub. so, as the tablet part of the surface book is the main computer and the usb ports are on the keyboard. In this configuration would this be the same as using a usb hub?? I have tried the updates using a friends laptop and my surface pro 2 and have no issues. so far I have tried the following.
1. full factory re set of garmin.
2. new genuine garmin data lead.
3. uninstalled both usb ports and host controllers and re-installed
4. driver update for usb (already has latest available)
The usb ports work fine with my other devices (phone data transfer and usb dvd drive/burner)

surfacefanboi

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
My surface book wont recognise my garmin nuvi sat nav as a removable disc drive to allow it to be updated when plugged into the usb ports. I have purchased a new genuine garmin data lead but the problem remains and it will only allow charging. The Garmin does state it needs to be plugged directly into a USB port on the PC/Laptop and not via a USB hub. so, as the tablet part of the surface book is the main computer and the usb ports are on the keyboard. In this configuration would this be the same as using a usb hub?? I have tried the updates using a friends laptop and my surface pro 2 and have no issues. so far I have tried the following.
1. full factory re set of garmin.
2. new genuine garmin data lead.
3. uninstalled both usb ports and host controllers and re-installed
4. driver update for usb (already has latest available)
The usb ports work fine with my other devices (phone data transfer and usb dvd drive/burner)

OK you have eliminated a lot on the surface book, how about trying the Garmin on another PC to eliminate that has the issue ?? Are you using using/installed the Garmin software??

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My Nuvi updates fine through a USB hub (it is a powered hub, and that could make a difference). I'd echo the question above - are you using the Garmin Express software?

Graeme Jones

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I can confirm that I am using the Garmin express software (Latest version) and I have successfully connected the Garmin to another laptop and that works fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb