Can not detach screen while using Adobe CC apps

ramius

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
This is really annoying me.

Whenever I run Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, Lightroom or any other of their Creative Cloud apps, it does not work to detach the screen.

WHen I click the button, Windows gives me a warning to close Photoshop first. So everytime I want to detach it, I must close Photoshop. This is certainly not the way it is meant to be used.

Adobe is preventing the machine from working as its supposed to.

ramius

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I have looked through the settings and cant see such an option.

REmember this also happens with the other Adobe CC programs.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can decide. Go into the NVidia control panel and for each app that you want to be able to detach the tablet for, select the integrated graphics. The down side of this is that you're talking about hobbling some heavy duty software because it won't be able to use the GPU, but yes, the choice is yours.

ramius

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Obviously it should disconnect and reconnect with the dgpu in the keyboard when i chose to detach or attach the screen. The way the whole machine is designed. I cant believe i have to say this.

DQuiLon

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
@ramius...

If you think is easy to design a machine with dynamic gpu, you should get one with thunderbolt and buy a egpu and try the same thing on it, and while you are using a program that takes advantage of the egpu, try unplugging the thunderbolt cable and see what happens...

Obviously the way the Surface Book was designed take this into consideration and prevents the user from detaching when the gpu is in use. This way avoids crashes, corruption and bluescreens.

I understand your disappointment but that is just the way it is right now.

Luckily in my line of work I use the igpu for my 3D and cad designs and the detaching limitation is not present, I set it to only use the dgpu for games and certain apps.

My only issue is that I can't select UWP apps manually to force them to use igpu or dgpu

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Obviously it should disconnect and reconnect with the dgpu in the keyboard when i chose to detach or attach the screen. The way the whole machine is designed. I cant believe i have to say this.

That'd be like pulling the tablecloth out from under a set table (and not very quickly at that) and expecting nothing to stay where they are. Photoshop is using the base's GPU and if you want to just yank it out, bad things will happen.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@ramius, it would be nice to have the capability to start in one format (notebook) and switch (to tablet form with keyboard reversed and attached) during the editing process, so that you have power and flexibility. You should send this suggestion to feedback, maybe something could be done to allow CC and Surface book to go into a temporary state of sleep, to switch the keyboard around.

ramius

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
A movie uses the gpu, and you can detach it while watching movie files.
Im not buying your logic. They have made two-part product that is made to be detached. At no point in the manual, advertising or anywhere else does it say "products does not work like show when using Adobe products"

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well what about a fancy 3D game like Starcraft II? That won't end well since it's already set with a bunch of graphics card specific settings and depending on the finer details, changing some will require a game restart.

Photoshop is hardly a movie.

ramius

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
It can run fine without the processor. We are not living in the 80s. Technology is smart. When you push a button, the machine knows you are pushing it.

Its not going "wtf the just happened?"

DQuiLon

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
A movie uses the gpu, and you can detach it while watching movie files.
Im not buying your logic. They have made two-part product that is made to be detached. At no point in the manual, advertising or anywhere else does it say "products does not work like show when using Adobe products"

The movie player does not use the dgpu, it uses by default the igpu.

If you want to use CC all the time and being able to detach frequently I advise you to go into Control Panel > Nvidia Control Panel > Individual Apps

Find and set the desired app to use the igpu instead and apply changes....

In my case I defaulted EVERYTHING to the igpu and I manually set games and certain apps to work with the dgpu... Because my 3D cad software actually worked better running with the igpu + more vid. memory vs running from the fast dgpu + less vid. memory...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
At no point in the manual, advertising or anywhere else does it say "products does not work like show when using Adobe products"
Why should they? There is no limitation caused by Adobe products. The limitation is if you are using the dGPU. As you have been told several times, if you want to remove the tablet, set the software to use the iGPU.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@ramius, what language did you use is your feedback?

I can see a need to be working one Form Factor (notebook mode), and wanting to switch to another FF (tablet), it would be handy to just 'suspend' the dGPU while making the switch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss