Will the Surface Book be upgradable via interchangable bases?

glaco13

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I've read many conflicting articles on whether or not the Surface Book could become upgradable through simply buying a new base. I'm not sure if Microsoft had this idea in mind when designing the SB but if it were the case I think it would be revolutionary. With the costs of computers and the exponential rate at which they are advancing I feel potential buyers would be a lot more inclined to pay a little extra for the SB knowing that in two years their computer won't be behind the times. For me, as long as the keyboards were reasonably prices I would love to see this happen. What do you guys think?

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Surface Book internals are in the screen because it detaches to become a tablet, only thing in the base is the battery and Nvidia GPU, so not much to upgrade by changing bases.

glaco13

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Ah, I don't know why I didn't realize that. Would you happen to know if the performance base is compatible with the regular surface screen?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Upgradeable? Yes!

But Microsoft does not sell the bases by themselves so it won't be easy even though it's technically possible.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Paul Thurrott, and other readers have stated that the 1st Gen Surface works with any of the bases. Most stories come from people taking their own surface to a Microsoft Store and conducting the experiment on the sales floor. As stated above, Microsoft has no plans to sell the bases separately. Once more people finish their warranty, you will see broken Surface book clipboards, with perfectly working gpu included bases.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Paul Thurrott, and other readers have stated that the 1st Gen Surface works with any of the bases. Most stories come from people taking their own surface to a Microsoft Store and conducting the experiment on the sales floor. As stated above, Microsoft has no plans to sell the bases separately. Once more people finish their warranty, you will see broken Surface book clipboards, with perfectly working gpu included bases.

ramius

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I think even Panos ***** has said this is fully possible. Just not the current business model. Give it a few years and I think it will be.

Theres no reason there cant be extra ram in a performance base.

jamison01

May 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes that is true. Any of the first gen surfaces work with any of the bases.

There's no reason why microsoft can't just replace one or the other, maybe even offer offer the ability to upgrade the base.

I've tried this with three different spec models. 2 i7's one with performance base and 1 i5.

jamezr

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes that is true. Any of the first gen surfaces work with any of the bases.

There's no reason why microsoft can't just replace one or the other, maybe even offer offer the ability to upgrade the base.

I've tried this with three different spec models. 2 i7's one with performance base and 1 i5.

I wish we could just buy the base too. Would make upgrading so much easier :)

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Surface Book internals are in the screen because it detaches to become a tablet, only thing in the base is the battery and Nvidia GPU, so not much to upgrade by changing bases.

I disagree about the upgrade not being significant.

You could upgrade the GPU to the 965m, which even though dated by gaming standards, is much more powerful then the original custom 1gb gpu and not otherwise user upgradable. You could also get better battery life, because the new performance base has 30% more batteries. Both of those things are appealing to me.

I suspect that the reason why is the price. Even though there is no way for an end user to change a laptop gpu, the part would probably cost us $150, quantity one. That and some batteries and even with a big surface markup it would be hard for them to charge more than $699. The minute they did that someone would write a column on how much margin is in the i7 performance book model and it's probably not worth it to them.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well one issue although some would figure it out is the Drivers are installed on drive would have to be updated after adding the performance base with a Nvidia 965. Right now both are considered the same product and if one part is bad and sent in for warranty work you get sent a complete new device not a base or clipboard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos