Pricing opinions

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
64GB - $899 = ok, but too limited
128GB - $999 = ideal price if it at least included 8gb ram
256GB - $1299 = Crazy, $300 more REALLY!!!
512GB - $1799 = INSANE, by the time they were deciding this price they much have been high as hell.

thats just my take on it

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
512GB - $1799 = INSANE, by the time they were deciding this price they much have been high as hell.

thats just my take on it

For bringing new products into play when devices such as the iPad are saturating the market I don't think Microsoft has taken that into mind with pricing. You offer somebody an iPad for $499 or the Surface Pro for starting at $899 even though the surface can do more the ipad has a much bigger reputation and a lower price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The Surface Pro isn't for iPad users, so although I get the point and justified from a general mainstream ideal product. I am planning to get a Pro2, but that's cause I need a high end laptop. If I just wanted to surf the web and email, I'd probably get an iPad over an RT....personally speaking.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The Surface Pro isn't for iPad users, so although I get the point and justified from a general mainstream ideal product. I am planning to get a Pro2, but that's cause I need a high end laptop. If I just wanted to surf the web and email, I'd probably get an iPad over an RT....personally speaking.

I understand and what you mean. However MS needs to build a rep for the Surface series and they aren't doing so with such a high price when other devices are similar priced, some lower have huge reps.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I understand and what you mean. However MS needs to build a rep for the Surface series and they aren't doing so with such a high price when other devices are similar priced, some lower have huge reps.

Agreed, but thats what the Surface RT/2 is there...thats the direct competition for iPad, not the Pro (which is more in competition with Air)

Im not arguing the price point, i agree the cost increase originally stated is somewhat absurd (esp 512GB) and RT/2 should be more affordable to develop a fanbase that stretches past current MS fans.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, but thats what the Surface RT/2 is there...thats the direct competition for iPad, not the Pro (which is more in competition with Air)

Im not arguing the price point, i agree the cost increase originally stated is somewhat absurd (esp 512GB) and RT/2 should be more affordable to develop a fanbase that stretches past current MS fans.

I do disagree with the pricing of the Pro 2 as well. By the time you add the keyboard you're at a price higher than the Air which is $950 with 128GB SSD at bestbuy. I do think it should be a package deal with the Pro 2 and keyboard, chances are if you're buying the Pro 2 you're after more than a tablet.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I do disagree with the pricing of the Pro 2 as well. By the time you add the keyboard you're at a price higher than the Air which is $950 with 128GB SSD at bestbuy. I do think it should be a package deal with the Pro 2 and keyboard, chances are if you're buying the Pro 2 you're after more than a tablet.

Agreed. I have intentions to pick up a Pro 2, but i'll wait around christmas time when Microsoft has learned it needs to offer a bundle type to further compete with its opposition. The keyboard, even the cheapest model, should be added as an incentive.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I have intentions to pick up a Pro 2, but i'll wait around christmas time when Microsoft has learned it needs to offer a bundle type to further compete with its opposition. The keyboard, even the cheapest model, should be added as an incentive.

They didn't learn to bundle with the original Surface Pro so I don't see them changing with the Pro 2.

I think this is part of the reason Android is growing so fast right now. Pricing. Microsoft and Apple don't make a 'budget' device. Android devices are affordable and do most of what most people need to do. You can get an Android tablet at Walmart for $129 and it's a nice one, NFC, camera flash, vibrate and sd card slot. Chromebook start at $199. I really don't see the Surface 2 selling like MS wants either Asus is making a Windows 8 convertible (can't remember the name right now) that's $349. MS isn't going to be able to compete with only making premium devices.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
The most "insanely" priced version is the only version not currently available for pre-order from Microsoft. The store has a link to give them your email address once it becomes available. That is a little bizarre since all versions are currently unavailable since they are pre-order only items. Can't tell if there was an original allotment that sold out early or whether this is actually a future product which may or may not become available before launch date in stores., You would think the high mark-up and presumably the higher margins would mean it would be readily available but there could be a supply issue when it comes to higher capacity ssd's that meet Microsoft's specifications..

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's way too much. But, what can you do except buy from a different company.
Something amusing... Millions of people would buy apple products and millions of people would accuse Apple of selling overpriced products. With MS's pricing this kind of silences the masses, at least me. Now, I say, yes Apple's expensive, but at least they're cheaper than MS :D You can install Windows on a mac so, not a big deal.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
512GB SSD's are still pretty expensive and that's for ones bought off the shelf. I would imagine to get 512GB into the body of the Pro may require some sort of custom manufacturing hence the large price increase and the email for availability on the preorder page.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
The MSRP price for the 128GB is so so. I would prefer the 256GB of course, but the extra cost is too big of a jump for me.

I am going to wait till it comes out and see what the competition is selling their Win8 tablets/hybrids for (later in the year). At the end of the day, I don't care about MSRP price, I care about what I'm actually paying. So if the competition's price comes in low enough, then I just might go with that.

My $0.02....

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
512GB SSD's are still pretty expensive and that's for ones bought off the shelf. I would imagine to get 512GB into the body of the Pro may require some sort of custom manufacturing hence the large price increase and the email for availability on the preorder page.

Microsoft used Micron SSDs in Surface Pro, so I am assuming they are sticking with the same suplier and Micron makes 512gb 1.8" SSDs which is the type MS used in their previous Surface Pro. So no custom manufacturing or anything complex is needed, they just used the exact same component but the higher capacity version.

more info here
http://www.micron.com/~/media/Documents/Products/Data Sheet/SSD/c400_1_8.pdf

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree pricing is high, but then again, the Pro line is catering to a different market. I personally am buying a 128GB Pro, it should make a fine replacement to old thing.

Also, if Microsoft advertises it as it really is (a full laptop inside a tablet, for a full powered, jam packed combo), then it should help garner interest. But overall, this is competing in the ultrabook market. It's primary competition would be the Macbook Air. For competing against the iPad, Microsoft has sent the Surface 2 into the ring. You're comparing apples to oranges, my friend.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
no, these are priced to fail. if you force someone to chose between a surface pro 2 and a macbook air, the vast majority of people will go w/ the air. i'm NOT one of those people as a pro and rt owner, but i know i know i'm in the minority. at this price, microsoft will fail to make the pro 2 popular. create enthusiasm and then people will gladly pay more. microsoft seems to be overestimating their own appeal. strange.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

thats just my take on it

Well, the 256 and 512 GB options double the RAM from 4 to 8 GB. Also, 512 GB SSDs are still pretty expensive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb