Got it with the cyan type cover 2. :grin:

I realize the same pictures are nothing new but I can't help myself. :angel:

WP_20140318_18_38_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20140318_23_38_16_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

j3reun

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Got mine yesterday! 8GB/256GB edition (finally) now lets pump VMware on it with some VHD's :D
Awesome how it syncs your files if you add your microsoft account to the device ( photo's / background / apps)
Wasn't able to score a type cover cyan yet.. going to other shop today! i DID score a microsoft wedge mouse : surface edition!
Awesome device

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Got mine yesterday! 8GB/256GB edition (finally) now lets pump VMware on it with some VHD's :D
Awesome how it syncs your files if you add your microsoft account to the device ( photo's / background / apps)
Wasn't able to score a type cover cyan yet.. going to other shop today! i DID score a microsoft wedge mouse : surface edition!
Awesome device

Nice!!! Wanted a 256GB model, just for the extra RAM, but alas... Out of budget.

Still, I absolutely adore my 128GB model: it's served me well since day 1.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I forgot if I mentioned this, but if you plan to use the pen a lot, get a screen protector if you have not already.
The screen isn't scratch proof. It's glass... well it's tempered glass which is actually really easy to scratch, but it's gorilla glass 2, which is supposed to bring the tempered glass back as strong as normal glass. But glass is not scratch proof. It will scratch. Maybe with newly released Gorilla Glass 3 (possibly with the next generation of Surface), it would be stronger to a point where we would not care about it, but so far, I suggest to get one.

Ah, I was really hoping to use this without a screen protector. I can barely install them on phones I cannot begin to imagine on how to do it on such a big surface. Plus I feel it detracts from the feeling of the screen.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I never installed screen protectors before, as I never had a device that needed it. However I had great success with mine, expect the first one, but now know the trick.
I used TechArmor High Defintion (HD) Clear Screen Protector. The pack comes with 2, and it's only 8-9$ US/Canadian, and comes with LifeTime Warranty, which I tried as I had to return my SUrface Pro 2 and order a new one. The company was nice to send me another 2 for free. So, thumbs up for that.

Anyway, the trick as is as follows:
-> Do the vacuum of your place to remove most of the dust that float in the air as you move. If you live in a house with central air, this might not be needed as central air filters the air for a lower dust environment than living in an apartment with standard heating/air conditioner.
-> It's easier to put the moment it's out of the box. If it's not, then you'll need to do your best to clean it as new. No streaks or dust must show when the device is off.
-> Take a shower. There is no point in this, beside making your bathroom humid to have dust particles fall down by the humidity and give you a clean room to work with. If you need to clean the counter top, do so before. Have everything prepares outside of your bathroom, ready to take once you are done with your shower. Do NOT have the device in your shower.
-> wear clean gloves. If by accident you touch the screen protector, it won't leaves marks which you won't be able to remove easily.
-> Starting from the top (where the camera is), peel the layer 1 (indicated in the screen protector film) by about ~1 inch (2cm), and apply it. There is no glue on the screen protector. It uses strong electrostatic. It will be like if there was a magnet. so you can remove and put again if you miss. You want t align everything centered. Make sure the alignment if perfect. If it's not, it will really show that you miss when you finish at the end. A 1 degree angle will feel exponential. So seek perfection. This is the most important stage.
-> Once you got it, peel off the rest of your the film layer 1. and let the film attach.

Once everything is in place. You will notice air bubbles. That is fine. Using the provided card and a nice micro fiber cloth (don't use the provided one, it's too small I find), push away the air bubbles.
You will now see smaller air bubbles. Those indicates that there is dust under the screen protector. using the provided 4 stickers. Use one to put it on the corner of the screen to peel off the screen protector, and the other as sticky tape to remove the dust particle which will be on the screen protector other device. As you lift the screen protect, expect some additional dust to show up. So it will be a small game of patience. But if you take your time, you should end up with no bubbles The second layer of the screen protector, is there to protect against scratches when you try to remove the dust and air bubbles. So if that scratches, don't worry. And no the screen protector wont' scratch as easily as the above layer protector.

Once you remove the Layer 2 protection on the screen film, you may have dust that comes back (hard to explain why, but when you'll do it you'll get), repeat the dust removal process. but it should not be as bad.

The company provides instruction videos on how to install the screen protector. You want to watch them before installing
iPhone Screen Protector | How to Install

And that's it. So it's really a small game of patience, especially is you seek perfection and having 0 bubbles.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the good advice!!

It's definitely not new anymore. I have been playing with it already. :excited: Can't help it!

For now I have only touched it with my finger tips, no stylus, or fingernails, or anything else.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The stylus is what will scratch it. All you need is a hard dust particle that get cough with the pen, and now you have a nice rainbow that will appear with no way to remove it, to my knowledge.
So I would get a screen protector asap.

deathcries

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I got my pro 2 in Feb and really love it, its the best tablet I have ever used. I have several steam games installed it is really cool being able to play Skyrim on it. I have the 128/4gb version wish could have afforded the 8gb but very happy with one I have. I have had several ipads and android tablets before and none come close to the pro 2.

NeoGrandizer

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I got mine a week ago and still playing with it. I owned a Galaxy Note 10.1 (original) which is what this is replacing. I plan on using this as an art tablet on the go. The Note 10.1 was good, but eventually you start to see limitations with the system if you wanted to expand on what you are learning and doing.

The stock Pen sucks. It's not calibrated properly and is constantly off. Good thing the S Pen with eraser works on it. Calibration is good and don't have to fiddle with settings. Also comes with interchangeable nibs. I prefer working with the flex nib over the plastic. Much more better feel for me since it's more grippy on the surface.

So far, I think I have an issue with the power cover not charging properly when the tablet is at 100%. Power will cut as it thinks the unit is fully charged. I might drain the tablet below 80% and see if the cover will start charging as a final test. I like the cover with the added battery boost, but it's just becoming a pain figuring out if it's a dud or something wrong with the unit/firmware. The only accessories I have left that I'm still waiting for is the tempered glass screen protector and freedom case.

Quite happy with the SP2 so far, not so with the power cover. Also despise the stock pen.... :p

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I was really hoping to use this without a screen protector. I can barely install them on phones I cannot begin to imagine on how to do it on such a big surface. Plus I feel it detracts from the feeling of the screen.
I put an incipio screen protector on mine, and it is also a matte finish, to cut down on the glare. I am one who absolutely abhors today's high-gloss screens. Whose idea was that, anyway???

If you don't want to put your screen protector on, and you have a nearby Microsoft Store (yeah, I know, not everyone does), they'll put it on for you if you buy it from them. Who knows - maybe Best Buy will do this? I did mine myself, and got it on without blemish on the first try - first time I've ever had THAT success - because I forgot to bring my Surface to the Microsoft Store when I went to buy the screen protector and a couple other things. I definitely am happy with the matte-finish screen protector from Incipio. Cuts down some on fingerprints, too.

Droidophobe

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I put on a TechArmor screen protector, and while the application was a piece of cake, the protector itself was terrible. It was very tacky so my fingers wouldn't glide over the screen, and it was a horrible fingerprint magnet and difficult to wipe off. I replaced it with a Skinomi which was a pain to put on (wet application) but it is a much better product. I can't even tell it's on there and it wipes off easily when necessary.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I put an incipio screen protector on mine, and it is also a matte finish, to cut down on the glare. I am one who absolutely abhors today's high-gloss screens. Whose idea was that, anyway???

If you don't want to put your screen protector on, and you have a nearby Microsoft Store (yeah, I know, not everyone does), they'll put it on for you if you buy it from them. Who knows - maybe Best Buy will do this? I did mine myself, and got it on without blemish on the first try - first time I've ever had THAT success - because I forgot to bring my Surface to the Microsoft Store when I went to buy the screen protector and a couple other things. I definitely am happy with the matte-finish screen protector from Incipio. Cuts down some on fingerprints, too.
Yeah my screen-protector application abilities are pretty hit and miss..... the one for my mother's Pro 2 went on flawlessly, whereas the one on mine has bits of dust and bubbles around the edges :/

cschmach

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
photo.JPG

I've had my 128 GB Surface Pro 2 for about a month now and it is amazing. I added some items to make it even better for home use though, IMHO.
Surface Pro Docking Station, Surface Power Cover (for going to work), AOC 27" monitor, iHome Bluetooth Speaker, Apple TV3, Gemalto USB SmartCard Reader, Apple SuperDrive (yes, it does work with the Surface Pro 2 with downloaded drivers), 1TB WD My Passport USB external HD, Logitech Bluetooth keyboard, Microsoft Bluetooth Sculpt mouse, and a new desk. I have a Logitech gaming controller for occasional Steam play as well.

I never thought I would move away from Apple, but this Surface Pro 2 is everything I was wanting. It has replaced both my 2013 13" MacBook Air and iPad mini, and I have no regrets!

Last edited:

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 61570

I've had my 128 GB Surface Pro 2 for about a month now and it is amazing. I added some items to make it even better for home use though, IMHO.
Surface Pro Docking Station, Surface Power Cover (for going to work), AOC 27" monitor, iHome Bluetooth Speaker, Apple TV3, Gemalto USB SmartCard Reader, Apple SuperDrive (yes, it does work with the Surface Pro 2 with downloaded drivers), 1GB WD My Passport USB external HD, Logitech Bluetooth keyboard, Microsoft Bluetooth Sculpt mouse, and a new desk. I have a Logitech gaming controller for occasional Steam play as well.

I never thought I would move away from Apple, but this Surface Pro 2 is everything I was wanting. It has replaced both my 2013 13" MacBook Air and iPad mini, and I have no regrets!

Thank you for this. It has helped with my question here, http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-2011-macbook-air-surface-pro-2-thoughts.html

touchpad4760

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Woohoo! Mine arrived yesterday - 256/8 variant. Confirmed the newer 1.9GHz/4300 processor.

Now, I just need to figure out how to migrate stuff from my old XP desktop to this puppy, as it will become the new "home" computer.

Pointers to any related resources much appreciated!

-Chris

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 61570

Surface Pro Docking Station, Surface Power Cover (for going to work), AOC 27" monitor, iHome Bluetooth Speaker, Apple TV3, Gemalto USB SmartCard Reader, Apple SuperDrive (yes, it does work with the Surface Pro 2 with downloaded drivers), 1GB WD My Passport USB external HD, Logitech Bluetooth keyboard, Microsoft Bluetooth Sculpt mouse, and a new desk. I have a Logitech gaming controller for occasional Steam play as well.

Damn, that's a really bad-*** rig. Super jealous! Looks awesome, and it's amazing how simply remove the SP2 from the dock, and BAM! You're mobile ready. xD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss