Warning: Do not activate free media center pack from Windows 8

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
If you activate the free media center pack from last year, it will work for a few hours and then you will lose activation once it realizes the free media center activation was for Windows 8. At that point you will have to do a factory restore to get your original 8.1 Pro back since the buy button no longer works and you can't remove the media center pack.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Good tip...I tried Media Center on my first gen Surface Pro long before 8.1 and it screwed it up badly...not sure why it is so quirky.

minhthanhvn

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Just use your pack key. When the surface restarts, the windows becomes inactivated. Activate it by phone. Everything is done. You will have Windows media center and your windows is activated

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Actually I tried to activate by phone and the customer rep said that the media pack was blocked and will not work. Several others have reported similar issues. For $9.99 it isn't worth the trouble.

minhthanhvn

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
What I said is that you have to activate by phone by answer machine. It had me input the installation ID, and my installation ID was absolutely valid. Therefore, it told the code I had to input, and I was done.

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I did this and it didn't work. I escalated to talk to someone and they said the 8.0 media pack keys are blocked now.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720