- 11-01-2013, 02:12 PM #1
There are half a dozen threads now covering these issues.
If you perform a reset on a surface pro 2 and perform all windows updates you are left with an unknown device in device manager for SURFACE COVER TELEMETRY. This device is not functioning and updating the driver does not resolve.
My system also experiences random unexpected shutdowns and reboots when waking from sleeping or going to sleep as well as issues going to sleep consistently when closing the type cover 2.
I am creating a thread here to see if others are noticing this. It may be overlooked because of how quickly SSDs boot up however if you check your event log I think all surface pro 2 owners are suffering from event ID 41 unexpected shutdown issues as well as an unknown device driver.
- 11-03-2013, 10:21 PM #5
Same problem here. Was very random until the past few days and now is happening much more consistently. Surface 2 often doesn't wake up from a sleep until you perform a full reboot. Pretty embarrassing considering how many people I've been showing the Surface 2 to. Lots of iPad users I was trying to impress are walking away laughing!!!! Come on Microsoft - this needs a fix ASAP!!
- 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM #7
I received my replacement surface pro 2 tonight. I booted it up and there was no unknown device in device manager. installed all updates and everything still looked good. I performed a reset and booted up and there it was again. unknown device. performed all updates and still an unknown device. looks like this one is getting sent back. I think microsoft has a serious software/driver issue on their hands and they are either hiding it, ignoring it, or are incompetent.
I went to the microsoft store and all the staff refused to let me look in the device manager or event log of any of their devices. I don't know what to think of all this. I guess I will have to call support again tomorrow.
11-06-2013, 09:13 AM #9
- 55 Posts
I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just not sure I'm following the logic.
I haven't had to reset my system (although now that I know there's issues, I think I'll look at a third party backup solution), I've installed all the updates along with the firmware update, and haven't had any issues with my system.
- 11-06-2013, 09:21 AM #10
11-06-2013, 09:40 AM #11
- 78 Posts
I have worked in IT all my life for about 24 years, and no logic there, yes trying to break it ahead of time would solve issues later, but saying microsoft will tell you to reset it first thing is ridiculous that a last resort same as phones. Dont know what with you people and resetting everything every chance you get, it sounds like a very simple problem in the software installation or some drivers are missing on the backup copy of windows, which only means they probably forgot to add them in, thinking nobody would need to reset their device one month into owning it considering it was most likely working perfect before you did and didnt require a reset. Your one of those IT instead of fixing a problem you just wipe the drive and start new every chance you get. yes sounds like there is a software problem in the reset, i'm sure they are aware and it will be fixed, is it a reason not to buy them? I would think a reset would happen once every few years especially since these are not windows xp and have proved to be working perfect months and months after purchase with no slow down or lag. So i'm sure by the time you actually NEED a reset and even then probably iffy it will be fixed. So yeah i have an SP2 it works perfect and i have no plans of resetting unless i wanna wipe it because i'm selling it.
11-06-2013, 09:54 AM #12
- 55 Posts
No offense intended and thank you.
- 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM #13
All im saying is it does look like MS/Windows have come a long way in the last few iterations...i cant say ive had many problems and feel happy with the products they provide.Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2
- 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM #14
I posted on the forum several days ago, a link to get the needed firmware and drivers for the Surface Pro 2 of Microsoft web site:
[News] Need Drivers for your Surface Pro 2 form a clean Windows install? Get them here.
Did you try installing this pack?
11-08-2013, 07:57 AM #15
- 36 Posts
I used that driver pack. Thanks for the link.
Ultimately, here's what's happened to me:
- Powered on, joined my domain and linked my live account to my domain account.
- Somehow in this process I managed to get to the point where I could no longer download anything from the store.
- So I decided to just wipe the machine and fully patched it. The loss of network drivers is what got me to this thread.
- Just trying to update the network drivers didn't work for me. I don't recall the exact error I was getting, but basically the surface wouldn't recognize the drivers.
- Ended up running the "refresh your PC" option. That actually fixed the network drivers. Firmware update showed as available again but I smartly decided not to install it.
- Using the drivers you provided I both updated the version of the NIC drivers as well as the "Surface" driver that shows up as unknown in device manager.
There's more to this story including getting the error "To use this app, you need to sign in with the Microsoft account that was used to download it." in Xbox games, but I don't know how I fixed that so I can't give details. If I figure it out, I'll post because there seems to be a fair number of people who get that error.
11-08-2013, 12:36 PM #17
- 35 Posts
I've been factory resetting an SP2 unit multiple times as well, and here's my similar observations:
- Just from resetting each time, Device Manager already showed the "Unknown device" (even before doing any Windows Updates).
- The next reboot (perhaps after the firmware update but can't remember exactly) would inevitably showed the Wi-Fi driver not having been loaded (first indicator being a red X on the lock screen Wi-Fi icon). But another reboot after that always seemed to fix it...
- Windows Update on the reset SP2 is missing three device drivers found on other SP2 units:
- ASIX - LAN - ASIX AX88772 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter
- Microsoft - Other hardware - Type Cover Trackpad Settings
- Western Digital Technologies - Other hardware - WD SES Device
- As dborden mentioned, Device Manager on the reset SP2 is missing:
- System devices: Surface Cover Telemetry
- Toggling "Show hidden devices" in Device Manager showed additional missing entries on the reset SP2:
- Disk drives: WD My Book 1140 USB Device *and* WD My Passport 0740 USB Device
- Human Interface Devices: Surface Type Cover Firmware Update Device, etc
- Network adapters: ASIX - LAN - ASIX AX88772 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter
- Other devices: WD SES Device USB Device
- Portable devices: IMAGING
- Universal Serial Bus controllers: Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub, etc
P.S. Not sure what "ASIX AX88772 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter" is on the SP2. It's not the Surface USB Ethernet adapter since I have that, and when plugged in it's registered as something else. Also not sure why "WD SES Device" is on the SP2. I usually see this from having plugged in a WD My Passport USB hard drive, which I haven't done on the SP2. Could these be remnants of the method by which Microsoft (or the OEM) configures these SP2 units at the factory?
EDIT: I was in a rush and ended up exchanging my reset unit today (for other hardware-related reasons), so unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try the manual firmware & drivers that MBytes posted to see if they would've helped...
Last edited by vipkl; 11-08-2013 at 07:20 PM.
11-09-2013, 12:42 AM #19
- 53 Posts
I just had a new issue where my pen stopped functioning. I went back to the MS kiosk "store" and the pen worked on other surface pros/2s, but no pen would work on mine. I had even tried reinstalling Wacom drivers to see if that'd fix it. We couldn't get it to work. Then, after previously experiencing the unable to boot problem, I think I even tried the hold power button for 10 sec. then press power again. Then, on another forum, I found a new thing. Hold volume up button and power and then release at surface logo to bring up a bios. I just restarted after that, and then the pen started working again! I've experienced other issues with the pen; it works fine in metro apps, but on desktop apps (photoshop, after effects), the cursor would be WAY misaligned. Like half the screen off. I think reboot fixed that.
I've encountered more issues than I've expected. Microsoft hardware running Microsoft software should work. Well. The failure to boot and the pen not working have me a bit worried. I think I'll be glad I purchased MS Complete.
11-09-2013, 03:55 AM #20
- 1 Posts
I'm experiencing the same issues. I pre-ordered a SP2, but it was having shutdowns during sleep, and the stylus stopped working for a period of time. In fact, a few times, the Surface would refuse to turn on for about a day. I just now finished setting up my replacement unit, and am already getting Code 41 shutdowns during sleep. There aren't any apparent solutions online right now. I'm going to do a factory reset and abstain from the firmware upgrade, in hopes that will prevent the issue.
- 11-09-2013, 06:09 AM #21
Microsoft 9Channel has a show called Defrag Show, where they fix people problem, or will inform the appropriate guys at Microsoft to have them fix it. Some of the solution will be presented on the show.
Simply contact: DefragShow@microsoft.com
The Defrag Show | Channel 9
I don't have a Surface Pro 2, so I can't do it for yo guys.. but I would blast the e-mail (everyone on this thread e-mail about the sleep issue), to have them report it, and the Surface team fix it asap.
- 11-10-2013, 12:40 AM #22
For those with the sleep/wake up problem... I just recalled I had a similar issue with my desktop and Realtek wired adapter.
The fix was simple. Go in Device Manager, and double click on the Marvel Ethernet wireless controller, and go under the Power Management tab, and UNcheck the box to allow Windows to put the device to sleep. Click on OK, and now see if you have a problem. You may need to restart.
I know, mine is wired and Realtek, but it's worth a shot. I can't test it as I don't have a SP2.
- 11-10-2013, 08:18 AM #24
- By BIGPADDY in forum PlaystationReplies: 6Last Post: 11-05-2013, 01:02 PM
- By Javichu1984 in forum Microsoft Surface 2Replies: 15Last Post: 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM
- By alv3st3r in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 17Last Post: 11-03-2013, 03:10 AM
- By Ashish Saraf1 in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 6Last Post: 11-02-2013, 08:17 AM
- By kokoko86 in forum Microsoft Surface 2Replies: 5Last Post: 11-01-2013, 10:25 AM