Does the Surface Pro 2 go to sleep when you close the cover?

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I currently own a Surface RT and am thinking about the SP2. My RT automatically goes to sleep when I close the Touch or Type covers, and resumes when I open the cover. I was playing around with the SP2 at Best Buy and noticed it didn't go to sleep when the Type cover was closed. Does this mean you have to manually put it to sleep? Or am I missing something?

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This is configurable. They probably have it turned off. It can be turned on/off in the power settings control panel.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

PandaSPUR

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
If it doesnt go to sleep, then its one of two things:

1. They turned that feature off.
2. The "SURFACE COVER TELEMETRY" driver is missing. And this happens when you refresh/reset the SP2 =.= there's a thread about it at another forum and it happened to me.

As for resuming, I think it takes mine like 3-5 seconds to resume. Although opening the cover doesnt wake it up for me, I still need to hit the power button or tap a few keys.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Mine doesnt go to sleep when i close the cover...it will wait the configured sleep period before sleeping. Does anyone know where this is configurable? I couldnt find it last time i checked in power settings section.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Power buttons and lid > Lid close action > Set to sleep.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed when I try to put my screen to sleep when using the sleep button, it actually shuts it down. Strange. It's wonky!

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Check your options. I can't test this, as I don't have a SP2 yet.. but
Make sure you are editing the currently used power profile, and what role the button does when the system is on battery or not. And be sure to click on the Apply button.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Everything seems right. It doesn't happen everytime though

Check your options. I can't test this, as I don't have a SP2 yet.. but
Make sure you are editing the currently used power profile, and what role the button does when the system is on battery or not. And be sure to click on the Apply button.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It worked for me, I was just impatient... you gotta given it 5 seconds or so and then it kicks in. I'm just used to it being instantaneous. As long as it work I'm good.

Thomas Boomer1

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
It is supposed to, but Windows sometimes fails to do so even when configured correctly. This is not a problem so much with the Surface Pro 2, as it is with Windows. This problem has happened to me several times over the years on various laptops when travelling as a consultant. I even had an HP that melted the cooling vent on the side of the laptop because it failed to sleep when I closed the lid when on a plane to get ready for landing.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster