SP2 not turning off, getting hot and running down battery

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
So, I thought I would make a separate post because I didn't see anything immediately similar to the issue I'm suddenly having after the recent firmware update. Basically, twice now I've shut the Type Cover 2 on my SP2 (or even hit the power button to put it to sleep) and I've come back a bit later and found the device to be rather warm (sometimes really dang hot), on (despite the cover being closed) and the battery significantly drained. For example, today it was at 100% this morning and I just opened and turned it on once, then left it on a desk. A few hours later, it was warm to the touch, 77% power left, and the screen was on, despite the Type Cover 2 being closed.

Strange, huh? I have no idea why this suddently started happening, and I don't know if it's related to the firmware update or something else entirely. I suppose I could try refreshing it and seeing if that helps.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I press the button to put it in hibernate and I find it on and warm/hot. I'm guessing the last update series. No idea if I should try a restore point but is annoying to triple check if its off every time...

JohnnyCanuck

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Same problem but with a twist ... even when I shut it down, it sometimes powers up spontaneously. Tried refreshing it and it solved the problem for a couple of days before it started happening again.

Contacted MS support and they are replacing my SP2.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have not seen mine spontaneously boot up from being entirely off, but if that happens, I'll take the support route. For now, I'll probably just watch and wait and hope it was related to the recent updates. I certainly never had any issues like this before!

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It is related to the firmware update released on 12/10/2013. See this article for more info...

Microsoft pulls faulty Surface Pro 2 firmware update | ZDNet

My SP2 is waking up from sleep on its own and the processor will get stuck at ~10 - 20% (system interrupts) and run the battery down when it's not being used. I have been doing full shutdowns the last few days when I don't plan to use it again for a while. Hopefully MS will release a fix or just release the previous firmware in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
the freaking update messed up my sp2.

it won't even charge the device.
While it is a temporary fix, at least you should be able to charge it until Microsoft fix their mess, and this time properly test their firmware, and not rush it out.
1. Shut down.
2. Hold vol + and power button for 15 sec. Surface logo may flash etc. but don't let go for 15 sec.
3. Let go of both buttons
4. wait 10 secs.
5. Press power button to start up.

WScottCross

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Battery Bar is reporting 46% wear on my battery. I'm hoping that's just due to misreported values from the wonky firmware update.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
While it is a temporary fix, at least you should be able to charge it until Microsoft fix their mess, and this time properly test their firmware, and not rush it out.
1. Shut down.
2. Hold vol + and power button for 15 sec. Surface logo may flash etc. but don't let go for 15 sec.
3. Let go of both buttons
4. wait 10 secs.
5. Press power button to start up.

Thank you so much, this fixed my issue! Instead of the battery showing 5%, it shows 100% now. :D

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what happened, but mine is basically functioning normally again. Still, I'll be happy when the official firmware update fix comes out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss