Wait for Pro 3 or go for it?

Dan Strong1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've read a lot of reviews and been seriously impressed by the sound of the pro 2. I have the Surface RT and use it daily but now im looking into combining my home PC with tablet. I travel a lot and my PC is a Q6600 machine so its pretty out of date and ive just bought an Xbox One so don't need a gaming PC anymore.

My question is, should I wait for the Pro 3 or dive in now? A couple of things concern me... I love the look of the Dock, but no gigabit ethernet?! My house is all gigabit, we transfer a lot of files so is there a way or an adapter I could use when docked in PC mode?

Also what upgrades do you guys expect? I used to be on the ball with the latest intel stuff but know nothing about the next chipset. The tablet I want is the 8gb version, I want to future proof as much as possible.

Any predictions on Surface Pro 3 specs?

mddmx

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The new processor giving longer battery life was the reason to wait for Pro 2. AFAIK there are no rumors about anything as significant coming up.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You can't future proof anything. You have to buy what you need. If you buy what you need + a bit extra, then you get a system that will last you 4-5 years easy.
If you don't, then well, after a year you'll not like, or you'll never like it.

There will always be a better product after. You can't win. For a friend working as a computer engineer at a big tech company, he told me, that the hardest thing for him is to buy a released product, because he knows what is coming up next, and how better it is expected/estimated to be.

Last edited:

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
sp2 was hug eimprovement over sp1 and is now. Legitimate machine. I would buy it now. (trade in my SP1 for an SP2, big diff).

Who knows when they will ship sp3

anon5878284

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Surface 3, my prediction is, might get a little delayed. Surface iterations co-incide with Windows releases. The next release is April 2014 (Update 1 for Windows 8.1) which is when we see a software update for Surface devices, plus a Surface Mini unveil. Then the Threshold wave of software comes April 2015 which is when the next Surface should launch. That is a lot of time (much more than it took Gen 2 to arrive). Again, that's my hypothesis and something VERY wrong, I feel about it. I hope it isn't true.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
If you need a surface now you should go for it, as mentioned already there's nothing known about the surface 3. I'd say the only almost sure thing is it will have connected standby (since it didn't make it in the surface pro 2). Still just a guess though.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You should definitely get it. I got rid of my MacBook air and don't miss it. I've got a tablet and full computer in this little thing. I got the 256GB/8GB model. It's better than I expected. I was torn between this and a yoga pro 2. I'm glad I stuck with the surface pro 2. The battery life and powerful processor should be future proof for a while. The next Intel chips I believe are going to be incremental changes. The big thing for this one was battery life. And the battery life is great.

Knuck111

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The SP3 will have an 11.6" screen at the same dimensions of the SP2 (using less bezel) at just under 1 pound (slightly lighter than iPad air) The unit will be 2mm thick and will display at 4k resolution with 3d functionality. It will have the next generation Haswell processor at 4.2ghz with 6 day standby and 48 hour continuous use battery life. It will have Google Glass native integration and will ship with a headset that will provide full hands-free control. It will have next generation wireless ac at 1gb/s minimum transfer rates. It will come with a base 1tb ssd upgradeable to 5tb. The base model will offer 6gb of ddr7 ram upgradeable to 24gb. It will have 4 USB 4.0 ports and 3 next generation thunderbolt ports. It will have displayport 3.0 allowing for daisy chaining of unlimited monitors. It will also clean your home and drive your car.

The point is that you can't wait for the next generation as the next generation after that will always be better and you will end up never buying anything. In my experience the SP2 is, as others have noted, a huge upgrade from the previous generation and is a very powerful portable tool that is capable of acting as a desktop. I took the plunge and have no regrets. If the current specs satisfy your needs then go for it.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd get the Pro 2. If you take good care of it you should be able to sell it for a couple hundred less than what you paid for it and upgrade to the Pro 3. That's my typical plan on any tech item I buy.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The SP3 will have an 11.6" screen at the same dimensions of the SP2 (using less bezel) at just under 1 pound (slightly lighter than iPad air) The unit will be 2mm thick and will display at 4k resolution with 3d functionality. It will have the next generation Haswell processor at 4.2ghz with 6 day standby and 48 hour continuous use battery life. It will have Google Glass native integration and will ship with a headset that will provide full hands-free control. It will have next generation wireless ac at 1gb/s minimum transfer rates. It will come with a base 1tb ssd upgradeable to 5tb. The base model will offer 6gb of ddr7 ram upgradeable to 24gb. It will have 4 USB 4.0 ports and 3 next generation thunderbolt ports. It will have displayport 3.0 allowing for daisy chaining of unlimited monitors. It will also clean your home and drive your car.

The point is that you can't wait for the next generation as the next generation after that will always be better and you will end up never buying anything. In my experience the SP2 is, as others have noted, a huge upgrade from the previous generation and is a very powerful portable tool that is capable of acting as a desktop. I took the plunge and have no regrets. If the current specs satisfy your needs then go for it.

The cleaning home is a deal breaker for me - have a vacuum cleaner for that, guess i will wait for SP4! :p

Dan Strong1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Excellent replies! Totally gonna go for it, gotta wait for the 8/256 model to come back in stock I think as I'm wanting to replace my PC. Gonna have to go all out and get the dock/type/mouse stuff I think.

I take it, that I can connect to an external monitor full hd ok like a laptop?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It has DisplayPort (mini-DisplayPort), so you can connect it to any computer monitor with such input (DisplayPort or mini-DisplatPort) that has a resolution up to 4K! All by delivering 1.07 billion colors at 60Hz! You can use an inexpensive adapter to convert mini-DisplayPort to single link DVI (max resolution: 1920x1200 @ 16.7 million colors at 60Hz), or even HDMI with the same max resolution (max resolution in this case are the limits of single link DVI and HDMI). Of course, if you plug the Surface Pro to a 4K display, it might be too much for the Intel integrated graphic solution , where it MIGHT not be able to offer a smooth experience, but hey it's still something.

That is why I like DisplayPort. It's a fantastic connector. And because its royalty free, cables and adapters are inexpensive.

Dan Strong1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice one, I have a 24in monitor and a 21in but thinking of getting rid and purchasing one of those super wide 21:9 monitors, need to research more, and will make sure it has a displayport!

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Check out Dell monitors. One thing that Dell does really right, is their monitor. Great value for your money, solid build quality and internal components, uses (for the UltraSharp series, LG IPS panels (they are select exceptions), and the warranty is solid and very competitive. If you have 6 or more dead pixel anywhere, you get a replacement. If you have 1, just 1 or more bright or stuck pixel, its also a replacement. The best part, is that they are no zones or distance crap policy, and you get to keep the monitor while Dell sends you a replacement one. In the box of the replacement one, you'll have a pre-paid shipping label already printed out for you. Simply swamp the monitors, and stick the new label over the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up for you. Everything is paid by Dell.

If I am not mistaken, all Dell monitors of the UltraSharp series has DisplayPort. They are also fully adjustable with a solid stand that won't wobble as you breath, and non glossy, so that you can focus on your work, and not fighting the reflections.

If you are patient a bit, check out Dell new 21:9 monitor that is coming out soon (no info on price, however), with a resolution 3440 x 1440, yes, you read correctly. It's the Dell U3415W
Dell Working on 21:9 1440p IPS Cinema Display

Oh I have a note to mention on my previous post:
The 1.07 billion color part, is what DisplayPort can deliver at the mentioned resolution (4K). You need the hardware for to push these extra colors, and Intel graphic solution can't deliver this.
Only select Nvidia Quadro and AMD FirePro graphic card support 1.07 billion colors (or more), and of course, to enjoy these extra colors, you need to use a supported software that can display these colors (eg: PhotoShop), and of course, you need the content. The reason why it's complicated like that, is that the great majority of people don't have a monitor that can display these amount of colors, and there is no demand for it, so the standard is as it always been for years and years... 16.7millions colors (8-bit colors per channel (red, green and blue)). A shame if you ask me, we did some massive step in color displays back in the old days, then we just stopped. Our eyes can enjoy multiple billion if not trillions of colors, and we stop at 16.7millions colors, as 'it's good enough'. True it does the job, but as we are in area were we use computers all days, why not enjoy what we were born with a bit more. Oh well.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the 256GB/8GB model and love it. It is a great device. The pro 3 will probably be 5th generation i5, maybe an i7 model, and maybe another feature they decide to add. If you want to wait till October and don't mind, then wait. If you want it now, go get it, it is an excellent device. :)

rudranil

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought the original Surface Pro on day 1. I use it daily and still love it. The only things that I don't like are the battery life and weight. Battery issue has been resolved in SP2. Not sure if SP3 will solve the weight/ thickness issue to some extent.

Point is SP2 is an excellent machine and you will not go wrong with it unless weight/ thickness is a deal breaker for you. Also, there is no guarantee if the weight issue will be resolved with SP3. It will definitely have better processor/ better screen etc., but these specs are already excellent in the current version. So, go for it and I don't think you will regret it. At least, I don't regret my decision to buy the original on day 1. I am enjoying it and will happily skip the latest generation and think about an upgrade when SP3 comes out.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
At work, I set it in kickstand mode and plug the USB into a Toshiba Port Replicator. Then plug the Display Port into a Dell 22" Touch Screen monitor at 1920x1080

And of course a full size KB & mouse. It's stunning.

Time to go home? Pull the USB and Display Port cable and off I go with my mobile desk.

250Gigs of SkyDrive.
LTE hotspot with the Lumia 1520
WiFi at home.

Why wait? This whole package was science fiction just a few years ago.

We live in amazing times. Enjoy it NOW. :)

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm the only dissenting voice and the only one holding out and that's not only a combination of the fact of what Broadwell will bring, assuming MS makes use of it, but also for the fact that the team wanted to push focus on Surface 2 by giving it some of the additional upgrades in the vid cameras and not doing the same with Pro 2. Plus, accessories hopefully will be in much more effect (e.g. a better power cover).

Dan Strong1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
That display looks insane! Will definitely hold old for that resolution! The more I'm reading the more im thinking of waiting for Pro 3.

After doing research there are still a few things on Surface Pro 2 that id like to see improved like the Cameras, I do a lot of Skype so the camera upgrade would help, cant understand why the Surface 2 got it but Pro didn't, anyway... Also Broadwell has a reported 40% increase in graphics which is going to be a lot better for the wide monitor. 802.11ac is a hope I have but not sure if it will get it or not, not massive problem but would be nice. Because I want to buy it all at the same time I may as well wait now I think. I know you are always waiting but if I plan on buying the Pro 3, get it at launch, not actually that far away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss