aptX Bluetooth

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Is aptX enabled by default on the SP2? Or do I need to enable it somewhere or install drivers or something?

I know the hardware is there in the Surface but I was wondering if I can do something to get even better audio streaming to my new QED Bluetooth receiver.

The biggest sound quality bottleneck is probably in my speakers but the question still interests me. :)

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The Surface and Surface Pro series does not support AptX from my understanding, as its CSR, and you have licensing fees to it. So few devices support it.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The Surface and Surface Pro series does not support AptX from my understanding, as its CSR, and you have licensing fees to it. So few devices support it.

Saw another link on a Microsoft forum where support answers that yes, the Surface Pro 2 has it. The question of if it was enabled by default or not however was not answered.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Follow up: apparently you can add a tiny dongle and get CD quality sound streamed to your stereo or headphones from all kinds of devices that has USB. Anybody have any experience with this type of setup on the SP2?

Here are a few alternatives:

Sennheiser BTD 300i Bluetooth? Transmitter with aptX?
Azio BTD-V400 Bluetooth? Adaptor with aptX?
Creative BT-D1 USB Bluetooth? Transmitter with aptX?

Would love to know if this would actually work before buying one. :) I have a small Bluetooth receiver and so if I play a Spotify playlist on the Surface it plays on the stereo. But the quality is pretty bad as it is and it's too slow through regular Bluetooth to play music that isn't downloaded for offline listening.

Wiz

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Follow up: apparently you can add a tiny dongle and get CD quality sound streamed to your stereo or headphones from all kinds of devices that has USB. Anybody have any experience with this type of setup on the SP2?

Here are a few alternatives:

Sennheiser BTD 300i Bluetooth? Transmitter with aptX?
Azio BTD-V400 Bluetooth? Adaptor with aptX?
Creative BT-D1 USB Bluetooth? Transmitter with aptX?

Would love to know if this would actually work before buying one. :) I have a small Bluetooth receiver and so if I play a Spotify playlist on the Surface it plays on the stereo. But the quality is pretty bad as it is and it's too slow through regular Bluetooth to play music that isn't downloaded for offline listening.

The BTD 300i is for iPhone 30 pins. There is the BTD-500, but pairing is mostly hit and miss with non-Sennheiser products. I have tried the Azio BTD-400 and that also is hit and miss (works fine with my UE 9000 headphones but flaky with my Sony BM10 receiver).

I now have ordered the new Azio BTD-401 as well as a chinese OEM alternative, along with a new Arcam RBLink receiver to see if I can get a better combination and will post my experiences here ..

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Great! I almost ordered a Sennheiser one but a user review I read said that their transmitters are intended for Sennheiser receivers only. So one might get lucky or not depending on hardware. I want to stream to a QED receiver but there aren't any confirmed compatible transmitters.

it is tempting to buy a separate small tablet with built in aptx to use only for streaming and remote control but I think it's a bit too extravagant. Also yet another unit to charge.

kmp demo

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Question to Wiz.

You said you were able to try the Azio BTD-V400 and it works more or less, and will try the V401. But how were you able to make even the V400 works; I have a SF Pro 3 and there is already bluetooth on the machine, I installed the CSR Harmony software that comes with the Azio BTD-V401, but then what to do to switch from the local bluetooth to the Azio?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12