Surface pro 2/3

Andrew Elliott

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
So this has been covered before but times change and people build opinions over time. My old school laptop has started to die and it is time I did an upgrade. My heart is set on a surface pro 2 or 3. I have no idea which one to go for. My budget is limited though and either way I'd probably be looking at second hand. As they don't sell the surface in my country im planning on getting mine from somewhere in Europe. So im seeing some 128gb pro 2s for about 450 euros. And the sp3's are around 700 for the i3, and I probably want the i5. Anyway my question is simple what to do? Would you say the sp3 is so much better that it justifies the extra sort of 50% in price? Any opinions are welcomed.

Mike_J

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Used a Surface, Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2 and have a couple of surface pro 3's.
Absolutely love the Surface Pro 3 and even an i3 would work great but must say the Surface with windows RT in a very under rated device - it runs office, you can use remote desktop if you really need a full desktop access and had great battery life. Was tempted to try a Surface 2 but never has the need as too many other devices already. The surface 3 with the larger screen and lighter weight is a brilliant machine - cannot go back to the Surface Pro 2 but my kids the Surface pro 2 is great!

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I just made this decision last week, Andrew. I've owned an RT, almost continuously since its release, and it is still my favorite Surface. The RT is absolutely the best buy in computing (extending Mike's point), and it does 80-90% of what I need and want of a portable computing device. If my now-8.1-RT went down, I'd get a replacement, even though I now have a Pro 2.

Now, for your question, Andrew, and my choice: I decided several months ago that I wanted to replace a nice i5 Toshiba Porteg?, because I was finding it too inconvenient compared to a Surface, and that a fine machine was mostly just being wasted. When the Surface 3 came out, I was tempted, but I was unsure about the bigger screen, the new lighter tone, and the new keyboard design. In early September, I found a great deal on an 8/256 Pro 2 and decided to try it out, confident that I could return it within Microsoft's wonderful, generous 45-day window (in the US, at least), and upgrade to a Surface 3. Last week -at about 30 days- I decided to keep the Surface 2. I decided that the above screen/tone/keyboard distinctions were still clear Pro 2 preferences for me, even if the 3 is lighter and thinner -amazing factors that did almost persuade me because I so admire these kinds of achievements. I also decided I'd rather spend the cash-difference on photography toys -one of my 2 other only weaknesses :wink:.

Note that there is a second-generation Pro 2 that comes with the same CPU the 3 has: look for a 4300U, 1.90/2.50 Ghz specification on the PC info screen. It's a great choice-set; we're fortunate: weigh your own preferences/priorities and enjoy your new Surface.

Andrew Elliott

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I just made this decision last week, Andrew. I've owned an RT, almost continuously since its release, and it is still my favorite Surface. The RT is absolutely the best buy in computing (extending Mike's point), and it does 80-90% of what I need and want of a portable computing device. If my now-8.1-RT went down, I'd get a replacement, even though I now have a Pro 2.

Now, for your question, Andrew, and my choice: I decided several months ago that I wanted to replace a nice i5 Toshiba Porteg?, because I was finding it too inconvenient compared to a Surface, and that a fine machine was mostly just being wasted. When the Surface 3 came out, I was tempted, but I was unsure about the bigger screen, the new lighter tone, and the new keyboard design. In early September, I found a great deal on an 8/256 Pro 2 and decided to try it out, confident that I could return it within Microsoft's wonderful, generous 45-day window (in the US, at least), and upgrade to a Surface 3. Last week -at about 30 days- I decided to keep the Surface 2. I decided that the above screen/tone/keyboard distinctions were still clear Pro 2 preferences for me, even if the 3 is lighter and thinner -amazing factors that did almost persuade me because I so admire these kinds of achievements. I also decided I'd rather spend the cash-difference on photography toys -one of my 2 other only weaknesses :wink:.

Note that there is a second-generation Pro 2 that comes with the same CPU the 3 has: look for a 4300U, 1.90/2.50 Ghz specification on the PC info screen. It's a great choice-set; we're fortunate: weigh your own preferences/priorities and enjoy your new Surface.

what a legendary reply. thanks man. Im about to take the plunge and get a 128gb pro 2. i think... ahhh by the weekend i'll find out...

andy roddy

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I sold my SP2 a 128gb few months ago and just recently purchased a 256gb + power cover for a lower price. Until the s3 gets a real full-sized power cover and drops substantially in price, I recommend going with the SP2.

8gb ram and the extra storage are more important to me than a larger screen. YMMV.

Another fringe benefit for me is that I can use my Note 4 stylus with the sp2, so I don't have to carry around the sp's stylus and risk losing it. I can't do that with the sp3 since it doesn't use Wacom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss