Buying spare stylus...

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, just like to have spare on hand.
Msoft store have the oem replacement for 30-bucks, or a Wacom for 10-bucks more.

Amazon is selling the Fujitsu 5000 for 40-bucks.

Is the Wacom/Fujitsu worth the extra ten bucks? Which one and why?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I actually got interested in this after seeing your thread...

So I'm finding that the Wacom Stylus feel black is becoming harder to find. But the higher model, the Wacom stylus feel carbon is still available but at a significant cost ($79.99). Actually, you can buy from the Wacom store as well. And for orders over $50, you get free shipping.

Reviews have been great. And the sensor is actually at the tip instead of behind the tip so accuracy should be better. But it's definitely has more resistance than the default Surface pen (the Wacom is supposed to more approximate resistance like a pen on paper).

The main negative (and it seems to be a big one to me) is the lack of eraser on the back and only 1 button (which would be okay if there was an eraser like the Surface Pro 2 pen).

I'm a sucker. Bought the pen... :p

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, being cheap, but not averse to taking a risk, I got one of these delivered yesterday.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3011524

Works perfectly on the SP2 and ASUS Note-8. Comes with spare rubber and plastic tips. Rubber feels a lot less slippery than the plastic. Ordered another one to keep as a spare-spare. :)

Description says "capacitive," but it works like the normal SP2 Wacom pen and gives the little "x" when approaching the screen. Also shows menus when hovering over them. I suspect they got the description wrong. It's a little smaller in diameter than the SP2 stylus, but much larger than the Note-8 one. Feels about right for me. I will probably put the SP2 one away as the "spare" and use the next one o the SP2 as well.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Been playing with the Wacom Stylus feel carbon.

This is like going up from a Toyota Camry to a BMW. It just feels so good on the glass surface. Whereas the default Surface Pro 2 pen has almost no friction, this has the perfect amount of friction. It comes with multiple nibs of two different types. I haven't tried out the other types yet. The barrel has a good diameter, like a high quality real pen. I never really complained on the thinness of the default pen but after using the Wacom one, it's kind of hard to go back. It's also made of high quality materials (whereas the SP2 default pen is all plastic).

I haven't installed Wacom's driver yet (still using the default Windows driver) but it's a little bit more accurate as it is than the default SP2 pen, but it's not really that big of a difference.

I do miss the eraser on the back of the pen though. It's a big deal because there's only one button (which is used as the right-click button). Now I'm having to either select the eraser function in the software or highlighting the scribbles and then choosing delete. If it had the eraser on the back, I would emphatically say the pen is worth it. At $80, it's pretty pricey but it does feel luxurious to use.

I already put away my SP2 pens as the backups. With all the included nibs, this Wacom stylus should last me a very long time.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I ordered another of the Samsung ones and at 22-bucks a good deal. They do have the eraser and it is lightly spring loaded too. It is a little more accurate than the Surface stylus on the SP2 except for a couple of edges where it is crazy. But that is being caused by magnets in the cover. If I take the SP2 out of the cover then the Samsung is king. The SP2 stylus seems much-much less affected by the magnets.

I was using the SP2 stylus on my ASUS Note 8 tablet as the stylus for that it too skinny to hold, barely 3/16" diameter. BUT, the Samsung stylus is so much more accurate than the Surface stylus on the ASUS too. With two of the Samsung stylii, I have now tucked the SP2 stylus away for safe-keeping - read, "forgetting where I put it, over time. " :)

{edit}
Forgot to mention, it comes with a rubber tip installed plus 3 spare rubber and 2-plastic. As you noted with the Wacom, the rubber tips give a nice feel on the glass. I suspect I will not be using the SP2 stylus unless I lose both of these Samsung ones and can't buy more. LOL

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention